Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Allright, elemental it is fellas. :) the question there is, doesn’t elemental require an energy-related subtype, and if so what would we use? Is Electricity still a subtype?

“These wraiths attack with a single touch, but a maximum of three wraiths can assault a man-sized creature at one time, and each inflicts 1d6 points of electrical damage, regardless of armor or clothing.” D’OH! Sorry guys, I should have re-read before pestering you. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
Allright, elemental it is fellas. :) the question there is, doesn’t elemental require an energy-related subtype, and if so what would we use? Is Electricity still a subtype?
From the SRD: "An elemental is a being composed of one of the four classical elements: air, earth, fire, or water."

Unfortunately, Electricity isn't a subtype. Krish and I had this discussion before in the video game thread, and he suggested the Electricity subtype would have electricity immunity and vulnerability to acid. We both agreed that we need more subtypes. That being said, to keep "in line", we could give it the Air subtype like many electrical beings have.

In a perfect world, these guys would have the Electricity and Negative subtypes. Speaking of which, I propose the following...

Negative Energy Adaptation (Ex): Shimmerwraths are immune to the detrimental effects typical of the Negative Energy Plane.

This will get around the age-old question: "How do they survive there?" Paging Mr. Yi, Mr. Xeg-Yi. [Actually, the Negative Energy Plane writeup states that "Outsiders native to the Negative Energy Plane (including the xeg-yi) are immune to the detrimental effects typical of the plane." I just wish they'd state that in the critter's writeup, too.]

BOZ said:
“These wraiths attack with a single touch, but a maximum of three wraiths can assault a man-sized creature at one time, and each inflicts 1d6 points of electrical damage, regardless of armor or clothing.” D’OH! Sorry guys, I should have re-read before pestering you. ;)
No problem! :cool:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looking at these things more, I'm starting to think that they should be constructs. It states that they are "nonliving", they are mindless, and have ties to an elemental. Sounds like a golem, doesn't it?

If we do stick with elemental, we may not need a subtype. The xeg-yi is an elemental, and its only subtype is Incorporeal. Of course that is from the 3E MOTP, but the conversion guide didn't state otherwise (of course, it is unreliable).

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hmm... i don't know about construct. seems a bit of a stretch to me. are there any constructs composed entirely of energy rather than matter?

i'm ok with only Extraplanar as a subtype, if everyone else is. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
hmm... i don't know about construct. seems a bit of a stretch to me. are there any constructs composed entirely of energy rather than matter?
Check out the quesar in Book of Exalted Deeds. ;)

BOZ said:
i'm ok with only Extraplanar as a subtype, if everyone else is. ;)
Extraplanar works for me. I'm fine with elemental, too, although a mindless elemental seems a bit...odd.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
perhaps so, perhaps not. there isn't that much of a difference from mindless to stupid. ;) of course, no skills or feats kinda sucks.

also, i could see no evidence that the quesar is composed of energy.

Shade

Monster Junkie
True enough. I looked at the quesar again, and it doesn't explicitly state that it is made of energy, although it appears to by made of light.

Let's just stick with elemental and move along. Sorry for derailing the conversion train. :uhoh:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here are some thoughts at dealing with this:

It there is enough light (the equivalent of full daylight or a continual light spell) for a wraith to cast a shadow, it gains a second weapon. Anyone who is touched by the shadow of a wraith suffers 1d4 points of cold damage, regardless of armor or clothing. The Dungeon Master will have to determine the direction from which the light source emanates, and the area in which the wraith's shadow falls.
Cast Shadow (Su): In areas of shadowy illumination, a shimmering wrath casts a shadow. The wrath's shadow deals 1d4 points of cold damage to any single creature within 5 feet of the wrath (wrath's choice of target).

This simplifies trying to determine where a shadow is cast. If we want to make it a little more complicated and random, we could use the splash/grenadelike weapon chart, or say that the shadow is cast from the point opposite the light source. However, this could get complicate in areas with multiple light sources.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
nah, i like that paragraph as it is - no need to make things extra complex when they're not a big thing.

and don't worry about expressing contrary opinions! sometimes i learn a lot from people thinking differently from me! you had me considering it for a moment. :D i wish more people posted their thoughts in these threads (hint hint, all you lurkers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads