Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Weight? A hill giant is 10-1/2 feet tall and weighs 1,000 pounds. These things are 10 feet tall, and are made of coral.

Level Adjustment:
+2 for +10 natural armor
+1 for natural weapons deal more damage than a simple or martial weapon it could wield in one hand
+1 for reach
+1 for Unbalanced Ability Scores
+1 for stunning ambush
-----------------------
+6 total

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm. I have no idea how dense coral is when living, though it's quite light when dead. I tried looking on wikipedia, but that was no help. Maybe go at 1/2 density, so 500 lb? One thing I learned, though, is that corals can live in quite cold water, so let's change the environment back to any aquatic.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd say so. Strange how these are so intelligent but seem to be solitary, animalistic hunters. Someone should write up a civilization for them! But maybe not me. :p

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
I'd say so. Strange how these are so intelligent but seem to be solitary, animalistic hunters. Someone should write up a civilization for them! But maybe not me. :p

They truly are odd. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Next!

Bark (a spriggan) has been working his malicious evil against the faerie folk without fear of retribution because of his servants--a band of shikes. Shikes are a breed of evil faeries. They are very small, usually no larger than four inches tall, and covered by a silvery chitinous shell that looks almost like full plate armor. Their wings are like those of beetles, folding out from beneath hinged back shells, while their heads resemble Trojan helms with broad, razor-sharp crests. They attack by ramming their opponents, slicing through flesh and bone with their head crests. Normal sprites and faeries are deathly afraid of these little monstrosities, and shikes hate all other faerie-folk, attacking them on sight.

Shikes (20): INT average (9); AL NE; AC 0; MV 6, fly 24 (A); HD 1-1; hp 4 each; THAC0 19; #AT 1; Dmg 1-3; SZ T (4" tall); ML 18; XP 65.

Originally appeared in Dungeon #76 (1999).

Shroomy

Adventurer
A diminutive fey inflicting 1 point of damage with a headbutt is not threatening, but kind of funny. Go with a swarm concept IMO.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We could do that, or alternatively, play up the "razor sharp" nature of their helms and give them augmented critical and wounding. We could also combine the too, making it a wounding swarm.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Shade said:
We could do that, or alternatively, play up the "razor sharp" nature of their helms and give them augmented critical and wounding. We could also combine the too, making it a wounding swarm.

A critical for 2 points of damage is not exactly threatening either, ;), but the wounding is a good idea. What level was the original adventure for, that may help guide us in determining how tough to make these suckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads