• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Cleon

Legend
Nice ideas. Let's also add some lesser dust spiders (say 4-8?) to the spawning org.

I didn't bother suggesting lesser dust spiders since their CRs are so low they wouldn't make any contribution to the fight.

We could make them Large Lesser Dust Spiders I suppose, then the PCs might notice them.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I didn't bother suggesting lesser dust spiders since their CRs are so low they wouldn't make any contribution to the fight.

We could make them Large Lesser Dust Spiders I suppose, then the PCs might notice them.
The lesser dust spiders are really there for flavor, so DMs can advance them as desired. Or we can leave them out if you wish.

Cleon

Legend
The lesser dust spiders are really there for flavor, so DMs can advance them as desired. Or we can leave them out if you wish.

Flavour? They taste horrible, you know! ;)

*Ahem*

I'd still rather make them Large-sized Lesser Dust Spiders.

Shall we leave it to Shade to decide?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Eh?

You've given it Jump +14, so hasn't it already got a +6 racial bonus?

It only gets 8 from Strength and no adjustment for speed.

Apparently, my math is wonky. B-)

So, drop it to +8, or add the +6 racial bonus?

I'd still rather make them Large-sized Lesser Dust Spiders.

Shall we leave it to Shade to decide?

It matters little to me, but I think they should at least be represented for (un)flavor. Taking on the word "Large" before them works for me.

Cleon

Legend

Some of the description and tactics is still a bit clumsily worded.

The third paragraph's "the largest are about 6 inches across and ready to form swarms and make their own way in the world." might read better as "to make their own way in the world."

The second paragraph of tactic's "A greater dust spider can release swarms of Diminutive lesser dust spiders to attack its enemies and can puff out clouds of deadly, choking dust that are actually made up of dust-mote sized spiders." could also do with being tidied up a bit.

Maybe "A greater dust spider can attack its enemies by releasing swarms of Diminutive lesser dust spiders or clouds of deadly, choking dust. These clouds are actually made up of dust-mote sized spiders."

The Choking Cloud write up still has square brackets around the [move] action and doesn't have its damage filled out. We settled on "or be sickened for 1d4+1 rounds and take 1d6 Constitution damage from violent sneezing and choking".

The Web entry's DCs are wrong. The Escape Artist should be DC23 (+8 for HD +5 for Con), the Strength DC27 (another +4 racial).

Remove ads