D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Shade

Monster Junkie
Haven't we had this argument before?

Not that I recall, but we've had so many arguments... :p

I prefer Dire Beast because (a) it makes a distinction between a standard Dire Animal and a Magical Beast with dire saves and (b) I just think "Dire Beast" sounds better than "Dire" on itself, which could just infer it's awful. ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I prefer consistency with similar abilities, and the fact that it's a magical beast rather than an animal makes no difference, since both get the same good saves.

Personally, the whole "dire creatures get good Will saves" makes absolutely no sense to me in the first place. :hmm:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'll have to go with Shade on the Dire Argument. (And agree on how much sense the saves business makes.)

Hmm, perhaps we should stat up a Dire Argument sometime. They can hang out with the Dire Whiners. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Not that I recall, but we've had so many arguments... :p

No we haven't! ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I prefer consistency with similar abilities, and the fact that it's a magical beast rather than an animal makes no difference, since both get the same good saves.

It's only a name, so if it makes that much difference to you use "Dire".

Personally, the whole "dire creatures get good Will saves" makes absolutely no sense to me in the first place. :hmm:

It never troubled me. I assume they're creatures so wild their minds strongly resist being tamed or controlled by external forces. You don't have to be smart to be wilful.

Cleon

Legend
I'll have to go with Shade on the Dire Argument. (And agree on how much sense the saves business makes.)

Hmm, perhaps we should stat up a Dire Argument sometime. They can hang out with the Dire Whiners. ;)

That's a great idea! We can do Dire Straits, too. :p

Hold it right there! I forbid this jesting to continue, we don't want to waste our energies on bad puns or plays-on-words.

Consider this a Dire Warning!

:angel:

Cleon

Legend
Shall we start on the next one in the list, the Fleshmorph?

FLESHMORPH (Yelad)
Greater Devil
ARMOR CLASS: 4
MOVEMENT: 9"/18" flying
HTK: 10D8
ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE: 1-10 (Mace), 1-4 (claws)
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 60%
INTELLIGENCE: Genius
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil
SIZE: Large 10 feet tall

Yelad was one of the most renown Fleshmorphs and served as Dispater's favored aid, charged with collecting human slaves for Dispater's palace on the second plane of Hell.

Fleshmorphs are bat-winged creatures with tiny, hairy ears, a bald head, and a flattened mound with two holes for a nose. Fleshmorphs carry a poisoned mace (43 to hit) that causes death within two hours of contact.

They can perform once per turn or melee round: Detect Invisibility, Cause Fear, Produce Flame, Read Magic, Wall of Fire, Polymorph to Human Form, Dispel Magic, Detect Magic, Summon Monsters (50% chance of summoning 1-2 Erinyes).

From Role Aids #716 Deadly Power (1984)

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I feel like we did this one already...

Hold on while I check the Mayfair Monster Index.

Yes, we've already got a Fleshmorph conversion, it's the very first Mayfair 3E conversion on the list.

I don't remember participating in that Enworld conversion, I started contributing to this thread with the Dust Spider.

The Fleshmorph looks OK as is, so we might as well skip ahead.

Looks like we've got the following already converted:

Devil, Fleshmorph (Yeladon)
Glass Golem
Roosk, Lesser
Roosk, Greater
Devil, Hrunchuk
Yugoloth Lord, Runstibble
Dust Spider, Lesser
Dust Spider Swarm
Dust Spider, Greater
Sandman
Ratbeast [Finished but not added to Index yet]

The next monster on the list is the Foregathering Spirit, are you game for that?

Remove ads