Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I updated them with Str 20.

Let's go Str 20. We could lower their speed the old fashioned way--I'm okay with them getting full actions.

Me too. In fact, they don't appear to be terribly slow in the original writeup. In addition to gaining multiple attacks, there's this:

Unlike other zombies, Bloodstone Zombies do not automatically lose initiative.

Should the disease be traditional, or supernatural like mummy rot?

Shade

Monster Junkie
In melee, a Bloodstone zombie strikes with its claws. If both claw attacks hit, the zombie has successfully grabbed its victim in a "death grip" and can inflict its special attack. Victims are held for 1d6+1 rounds; they can break free earlier with a successful bend bars/lift gates roll. For every round a victim is held, he or she must make a saving throw versus death magic. Failure means the victim has contracted a disease carried by the Bloodstone zombie. The disease causes the victim to lose 2 points of Strength and Constitution per hour. When the victim's Strength and Constitution scores reach zero, he or she dies and will rise as a Bloodstone zombie one hour later.

Does this work?

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a bloodstone zombie must hit an opponent of its size or smaller with both claw attacks. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and exposes its opponent to bloodstone blessing.

"Bloodstone Blessing" (Su): Supernatural disease—grapple, Fortitude DC x, incubation period 1 hour; damage 1d2 Con and 1d2 Str. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Unlike normal diseases, bloodstone blessing continues until the victim reaches Constitution 0 (and dies) or is cured as described below.

Bloodstone blessing is a powerful curse, not a natural disease. A character attempting to cast any conjuration (healing) spell on a creature afflicted with bloodstone blessing must succeed on a DC x caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the afflicted character.

To eliminate bloodstone blessing, the curse must first be broken with break enchantment or remove curse (requiring a DC x caster level check for either spell), after which a caster level check is no longer necessary to cast healing spells on the victim, and the bloodstone blessing can be magically cured as any normal disease.

An afflicted creature who dies of bloodstone blessing rises as a bloodstone zombie 1 hour later.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
15 sounds reasonable at the moment, but we should wait to establish it, perhaps, until we know what CR these things are.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed.

Updated.

Sample weapon for attack lines?

Skills: 24 (max rank 6)
Max Bluff and Disguise?

Feats: Toughness (B), 2 more

Advancement: ?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Fair enough. I'm just guessing since mummies (8HD) are DC 20. Also, remove curse requires CL 5 anyway.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
A morningstar wielded in two hands for the sample weapon.

Ability Focus (bloodstone blessing), Improved Initiative, Toughness (B)

They should advance by HD, I think.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Skills: Bluff 6, Disguise 6, Knowledge (religion) 6, Move Silently 6?
I was thinking Knowledge (religion) to help them understand their own origin and how to best propogate their species.

Advancement: 4-9 HD (Medium)? Or do we want to allow advancement to Large to allow for those created from bigger humanoids?

CR 2-3? (Ghasts and wights are CR 3, and are a bit deadlier, so I'm leaning toward a strong 2.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads