Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
This thread continues the idea of “cooperative conversions”, converting a series of monsters from similar sources. For this thread, we will be focusing on monsters that first appeared in Polyhedron magazine.

What I will do is first post the creature’s original stats and flavor text. Then, I will post a basic outline of the things I think it needs, and then I will give you an opportunity to suggest stats and ideas on how powers and abilities should work. Then, I will add more to it and we will continue to discuss it until I feel it’s done and time to move on to the next. As we work on these creatures, they will be posted in this thread, and after 10 conversions are complete they will be added to the Creature Catalog. You may comment on monsters already finished, of course.

For a list of creatures to choose from, see this thread. We will only be working on those creatures from magazines that appeared before the start of 3rd Edition, and that haven’t yet appeared in official WotC products, the Tome of Horrors, or the Creature Catalog. You may feel free to make suggestions, but ultimately I will pick what to convert and when. If I’m missing any monsters from this list or if any of these have appeared elsewhere already, feel free to inform me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's start this off on a light note. :D

Wilbur the pig-iron pig golem

Int Low; AL N; AC 3; MV 9; HD 5; hp 40; THAC0 15; #At 1; Dmg 1-6; SA see below; SD see below; SZ S; ML 20; XP 750.

Wilbur was presented to Macon as a gag gift. He is the household trash disposal with legs. his original weight was 833 pounds, but it has been reduced through enchantment to 83 pounds.
This keeps him from crushing people's feet if he accidently steps on them.
In addition, Wilbur can talk.

Special Attack: Wilbur counts as a +5 magic weapon for purposes of hitting things. This allows Wilbur to eat almost anything.
Special Defenses: Wilbur is only affected by +3 or better weapons. Magical electrical attacks slow him for three rounds. Magical fire attacks repair 1 hit point of damage for each die of damage they would normally do. Wilbur is affected by rust monsters, and they scare the . . . out of him.
Wilbur is an easy-going golem who has a limitless capacity for eating trash (which he does with relish when he can get it). He is not very bright, but he can carry on conversations even if what he says does not always make sense. Some favorite topics are:
* Why he can talk. He claims he can talk so he can ask people to move out of the way while he is cleaning.
* What it would be like to be a flying pig. Wilbur really wants to learn how to fly.
* Why are people so squeamish about what they eat. Wilbur likes to eat everything and anything.

From Polyhedron #62, The Jade Monkey, by Carl Buehler.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hehehe.

Immunity to Magic (Su?): Wilbur is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance, except as follows. Electrical attacks cause him to suffer the effects of a slow spell for 3 rounds if he fails his save. Magical fire attacks repair one point of damage for each 5 points of damage they would normally cause. Wilbur is affected as usual by extraordinary rust attacks, such as those of the rust monster, and they scare him silly.

DR 10/magic ?

Feed (Ex): Wilbur can consume a limitless amount of material, but he only does so if it is considered trash by his owner. He enjoys this part of his job very much.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It looks like Wilbur is just a variant iron golem. Thus the following can be borrowed:

damage reduction x/adamantine

Immunity to Magic (Ex): An iron golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows an iron golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, an iron golem hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. An iron golem gets no saving throw against fire effects.

An iron golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

For the Feed ability, we should state that the trash goes to an extradimensional space or is somehow instantly destroyed.

freyar

Let's give him an extradimensional space. Maybe he's hooked up to whatever uses bags of devouring as mouths. :D

Borrowing from the iron golem sounds good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Downsizing an iron golem to 5 HD and small gives us...

Small Construct
Hit Dice: 5d10+10 (37 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
AC: 32 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +20 natural) touch 12, flat-footed 31
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d6+7)
Full Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d6+7)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Feed
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction x/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 13, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or gang (2–4)
Challenge Rating: 9 or lower
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: x
Level Adjustment: -

Note that low Int equates to 5-7, so we'll need to revise that.

Wilbur's speed of 9" translates to 30 ft.

We should probably drop the natural armor a bit more since he's actually got better AC than a standard iron golem, and will be of signifcantly lower CR.

freyar

Wait, I'm confused. Isn't Wilbur's AC only 17 according to the original stat block?

Let's give Wilbur an Int of 5. We can probably reduce the Str a bit, also, say to 15 or so?

dhaga

First Post
Can drop back to +5 natural to give AC 17, but that doesn't seem like much for something made of iron. Str 21 does sound a bit much; I'm not sure that 15 isn't too low. Str 17?

Also: Wilbur's bite counts as a magic weapon, for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Shade said:
Wilbur's speed of 9" translates to 30 ft.
Do you mean 20 ft., because that's what is in the stat block...?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Wait, I'm confused. Isn't Wilbur's AC only 17 according to the original stat block?

Let's give Wilbur an Int of 5. We can probably reduce the Str a bit, also, say to 15 or so?

dhaga said:
Can drop back to +5 natural to give AC 17, but that doesn't seem like much for something made of iron. Str 21 does sound a bit much; I'm not sure that 15 isn't too low. Str 17?

Old AC doesn't always translate well, as it only can range from 10 to 30 by the conversion guidelines. As Dhaga pointed out, this is made of iron after all. Even a flesh golem has +10 natural armor.

Str 17 sounds good.

dhaga said:
Also: Wilbur's bite counts as a magic weapon, for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

...and adamantine. Wilbur's all about the sundering stuff. ;)

dhaga said:
Do you mean 20 ft., because that's what is in the stat block...?

The iron golem has a speed of 20 ft., so I left it in the stat block. I'm fine going with 20 ft., 30 ft., or even 25 ft.

freyar

Maybe +12-15 natural armor but drop Dex to 10-11? That would bring the AC more in line with a CR of 5 or so. I mean, Wilbur probably isn't really supposed to be a melee opponent, but you never know with D&D players. ;)

I agree with magic & adamantine:

Sundering bite (Ex): Wilbur's bite attack counts as magic and adamantine for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, and it ignores hardness as if it were an adamantine weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases