• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Cleon

Legend
Well, if we want to tie the CL to the duration of the aid effect, it should really be CL 60! What if we just go with "receives the effects of an aid spell (caster level 20)" without mentioning the duration. It's encoded in the CL. Then again, this is an Su ability, so we probably shouldn't mention a CL at all. Rather, let's go with "receives the effects of an aid spell for 1 hour." That's unambiguous. If you feel that's too strong, I'd be ok with changing the duration.

I'd be OK making no mention of a CL but saying the effects cannot be dispelled.

Hmm, we could not mention the aid spell and just spell out the bonuses:

e.g.:

Chocolaty Goodness (Su): Any living creature that takes a good-sized bite out of a chocodeva gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects plus 1d8 temporary hit points for a period of 1 hour. The duration stacks if a creature eats more than one bite. The chocodeva takes 1d6 damage or the creature's bite attack dice without any Strength modifier, if that is higher. However, if the chocodeva disapproves of the creature that bites it, the creature must succeed at a DC12 Fortitude save against the chocodeva's Sickeningly Sweet quality (see below) or be sickened and gain no benefit from Chocolaty Goodness.

I don't like the arbitrary +6 on the 1d6+6 suggested duration. I'd go with either 1 minute or 1d10 rounds. We don't use d10s quite enough. ;)

Well most of the dice we pick are arbitrary when you get down to it.

Hmm, it we're going for an average around 1 minute then a duration of 2d10 is closer.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The dice we pick are arbitrary, but the added constants are usually a standard (like +1 on breath weapon recharge times) or based on an ability. Anyway, 2d10 is good enough. So that sets the temptation.

Chocolaty Goodness seems to be set.

freyar

Tactics (daemon): A chocodaemon is not a particularly strong fighter, so the self-serving creatures usually hang back out of battle. However, a chocodaemon facing a foe it must disable approaches the center of battle before using its Delicious Temptation ability.

If that works, we can do something similar for the deva.

Cleon

Legend
Tactics (daemon): A chocodaemon is not a particularly strong fighter, so the self-serving creatures usually hang back out of battle. However, a chocodaemon facing a foe it must disable approaches the center of battle before using its Delicious Temptation ability.

If that works, we can do something similar for the deva.

The chocodaemon targets a specific individual with its Delicious Temptation, so it need not approach the center of battle. I'd think it'd be more likely to use the power to lure its target away, possibly into an ambush.

How's this...

Chocodaemons are weak fighters, so the self-serving creatures usually hang back out of battle. If they must fight, they often use their Delicious Temptation special attack to provoke an opponent into chasing them, then try to lead their opponent into a vulnerable position. A chocodaemon may encourage an enemy to bite them, so their opponent will be hampered by the yugoloth's Fattening ability.

Debby

Explorer
I'd be OK making no mention of a CL but saying the effects cannot be dispelled.

Hmm, we could not mention the aid spell and just spell out the bonuses:

e.g.:

Chocolaty Goodness (Su): Any living creature that takes a good-sized bite out of a chocodeva gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects plus 1d8 temporary hit points for a period of 1 hour. The duration stacks if a creature eats more than one bite. The chocodeva takes 1d6 damage or the creature's bite attack dice without any Strength modifier, if that is higher. However, if the chocodeva disapproves of the creature that bites it, the creature must succeed at a DC12 Fortitude save against the chocodeva's Sickeningly Sweet quality (see below) or be sickened and gain no benefit from Chocolaty Goodness.

Well most of the dice we pick are arbitrary when you get down to it.

Hmm, it we're going for an average around 1 minute then a duration of 2d10 is closer.

If I may stick my pedantic nose in this....

Chocolaty Goodness (Su): Any living creature that takes a good-sized bite out of a chocodeva gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects plus 1d8 temporary hit points for a period of 1 hour. The duration stacks if a creature eats more than one bite. The chocodeva takes either 1d6 points of damage or the creature's bite attack dice without any Strength modifier, if that is higher. However, if the chocodeva disapproves of the creature that bites it, the creature must succeed at a DC 12 Fortitude save against the chocodeva's Sickeningly Sweet quality (see below) or be sickened and gain no benefit from Chocolaty Goodness. The save is Charisma-based.

Debby

Cleon

Legend
If I may stick my pedantic nose in this....

Chocolaty Goodness (Su): Any living creature that takes a good-sized bite out of a chocodeva gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects plus 1d8 temporary hit points for a period of 1 hour. The duration stacks if a creature eats more than one bite. The chocodeva takes either 1d6 points of damage or the creature's bite attack dice without any Strength modifier, if that is higher. However, if the chocodeva disapproves of the creature that bites it, the creature must succeed at a DC 12 Fortitude save against the chocodeva's Sickeningly Sweet quality (see below) or be sickened and gain no benefit from Chocolaty Goodness. The save is Charisma-based.

Debby

Yes, I wasn't entirely happy with that bite damage sentence.

Hmm, I like the following better:

The chocodeva takes either 1d6 points of damage or the creature's bite attack damage dice without any Strength modifier, whichever is higher.

freyar

Yes, I wasn't entirely happy with that bite damage sentence.

Hmm, I like the following better:

The chocodeva takes either 1d6 points of damage or the creature's bite attack damage dice without any Strength modifier, whichever is higher.
This last version is good for me.

I also like your revision of the cocoadaemon's tactics, except we need to swap "chocodaemon" to cocoadaemon. That was my mistake. :blush:

For the chocodeva:
Chocodevas are weak fighters, so they usually stay out of melee, offering advice to their summoners. If the tide of battle turns against their allies, they offer themselves in sacrifice to aid their friends.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads