Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Skills: 13 ranks each of Diplomacy, Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Spot? Want to add more?

Just noticed that the organization name for the kryst isn't chosen yet. I'd go with "clump" myself.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good catch! I fixed the kryst, using clump.

Since they use many SLAs, I'm thinking we should put some ranks in Concentration. Otherwise, I like your skill choices.

Let's figure out the equivalent level of earth to fire before selecting feats, as it could affect Quicken or Empower SLA should we want them.

Earth to Fire (Sp): Three times per day, a helion may transform x 10-foot-cubes of earth into elemental fire of equal size. Creatures hitting touching the fire take fire damage as though hit by the burn ability of a fire elemental of equivalent size, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a DC X Reflex save. This is the equivalent of an Xth-level spell. (Reflex save DC will be a product of equivalent spell level).

freyar

Oh, you're right. How about 10 ranks in each of the above skills and 12 in Concentration?

I think the spell level would depend on how many 10 ft cubes. How about 2 10 ft cubes? As if hit by the burn ability of a Large fire elemental (2d6 fire damage)? Does the fire stay there or revert to earth after some number of rounds? Range? Can it transform earth a character is standing on? In any case, if we stick with 2d6 and limit the number of rounds, I'd guess about 4th level spell.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oh, you're right. How about 10 ranks in each of the above skills and 12 in Concentration?

That outta work.

I think the spell level would depend on how many 10 ft cubes. How about 2 10 ft cubes?

Sure. But let's say "up to two 10 foot cubes" because...

As if hit by the burn ability of a Large fire elemental (2d6 fire damage)?

...I'd like them to be able to transform smaller objects into smaller fires (and equivalent sized elementals).

Does the fire stay there or revert to earth after some number of rounds?

Good question. 2d4 rounds?

Another excellent question. If we go with close range, it would equate to 70 feet.

Can it transform earth a character is standing on?

Hmmm...good question. How to word that?

In any case, if we stick with 2d6 and limit the number of rounds, I'd guess about 4th level spell.

I'd agree with 4th.

And for some reason, I cut off this part when I Homebrewed them:

Creatures of the earth subtype must succeed on a DC X Reflex save or take x points of fire damage. Earth elementals that fail their saves are transformed into a fire elemental of the same size for x rounds.

Increase damage to d8s, and same duration as other effect?

freyar

Revising...

Earth to Fire (Sp): Three times per day, a helion may transform 2 10-foot-cubes of earth (or smaller cubes, totalling no more than 200 cubic feet) within close range (45 ft) into elemental fire of equal size. Creatures hitting touching the fire take fire damage as though hit by the burn ability of a fire elemental of equivalent size, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a DC X Reflex save. If a character is standing on earth that is transformed to fire, that character receives a DC X Reflex save to jump to an adjacent location; on a failed save, the character takes fire damage and catches fire as above.

Creatures of the earth subtype must succeed on a DC X Reflex save or take x points of fire damage. Earth elementals that fail their saves are transformed into a fire elemental of the same size for x rounds.

This is the equivalent of an 4th-level spell. Caster level 9th.

Last edited:

Big Mac

Explorer
Revising...

Earth to Fire (Sp):

Is this something that is replacing the Affect Normal Fires spell like ability? I'm a little lost.

If a character is standing on earth that is transformed to fire, that character receives a DC X Reflex save to jump to an adjacent location; on a failed save, the character takes fire damage and catches fire as above.

Isn't elemental fire treated as a heavy gas or a liquid? Wouldn't a character who fails to move, find that the ground gives way below him and he drops into a pit (of fire)?

freyar

The Companion Set version of these had "earth to fire" as an SLA, so this is to do that.

You're probably right about dropping into the pit. Since the fire can't be more than 10 ft deep, the falling damage would only be 1d6 and nothing most of the time. I'd rule that the fire is sort of "thick," negating the damage. But we can put in that they'd need to climb out or something.

Big Mac

Explorer
The Companion Set version of these had "earth to fire" as an SLA, so this is to do that.

Thanks. I need to learn these things, so I can become an uber-geek and do them myself. B-)

You're probably right about dropping into the pit. Since the fire can't be more than 10 ft deep, the falling damage would only be 1d6 and nothing most of the time. I'd rule that the fire is sort of "thick," negating the damage. But we can put in that they'd need to climb out or something.

I'm not after extra damage, but I figured that if a monster falls into a pit or starts to sink in molten liquid, they have to climb out to avoid taking fire damage every round.:devil:

Shade

Monster Junkie
So...

Earth to Fire (Sp): Three times per day, a helion may transform 2 10-foot-cubes of earth (or smaller cubes, totalling no more than 200 cubic feet) within close range (45 ft) into elemental fire of equal size. Creatures hitting touching the fire take fire damage as though hit by the burn ability of a fire elemental of equivalent size, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a DC X Reflex save. If a creature is standing on earth that is transformed to fire, that creature receives a DC X Reflex save to jump to an adjacent location; on a failed save, the character takes fire damage and catches fire as above, and must succeed on a DC X Climb check in the following round or suffer fire damage for an additional round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads