Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krishnath

First Post
Going with those stats and skill bonuses I would say that it is a LA +1, for a total ECL of 3, which puts it on par with a third level human fighter. :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oooh...catfight. ;)

One thing to keep in mind...the rakasta were not originally desinged to be a playable race (unless other source material indicates so). Therefore, they do not need to be balanced with other races.

That said, Krishnath's suggested stats seem reasonable.
Str 13, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8.

Compare to the catfolk in the Miniatures Handbook:
Str 13, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 10

As for the skill bonuses, BOZ suggested +4 Hide, Move Silently & Balance. By comparison, catfolk have a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks. I think the rakasta can be superior, since they are "superior", with more HD.

If we are dumping Weapon Finesse, we might as well dump the Dex mod for Climb and Jump.

I too agree that the Craft skill with 1 rank is indeed lame, but it is used often enough (for example, githyanki have 2 ranks when they could benefit from other stats much more). I think it should be preserved, since that way the skill is always treated as a class skill for rakasta, and helps preserve their description as artisans.

For the kasas, should we give them Weapon Familiarity with them, or Weapon Proficiency like elves? In other words, do we only want rakasta fighter-types to be proficient with the kasa without burning a feat, or all rakasta?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Zaster said:
Looks O.K. from here, but I cede to the more experienced folks.

no no no... never do that! ;) agree with what makes sense, not who's been around longest. i mean, i've been here for almost three years but that doesn't guarantee i know what i'm talking about. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Krishnath said:
Going with those stats and skill bonuses I would say that it is a LA +1, for a total ECL of 3, which puts it on par with a third level human fighter. :D

Krishnath said:
Weapon Familiarity like the dwarves and the dwarven waraxe...

both sound good to me. :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
That said, Krishnath's suggested stats seem reasonable.
Str 13, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8.

i'm offically adopting this set. ;)

If we are dumping Weapon Finesse, we might as well dump the Dex mod for Climb and Jump.

if we take it that far, we might as well dump those skills too.[/QUOTE]

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
just for something else to talk about, here's what i have for the combat section:

COMBAT
A rakasta fights fiercely, expecting its opponent to do the same. Though rakasta can use normal weapons, they disdain such equipment and prefer to rely on their own natural weapons. Rakasta are often armed with a special set of metal war claws that they call kasas, which are worn on the paw like a glove.

Rakasta that ride saber-toothed tigers use special saddles that enable them to fight unhindered while mounted. These saddles allows them maintain control of their mount by controlling the tigers with knee pressure, and do not hinder the mount’s combat capabilities. These saddles also allow them to leap and attack in the same round.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a rakasta must hit either with both claw attacks or both kasa attacks. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can make two rake attacks with its rear claws.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +X melee, damage 1d3+1.

Mounted Leap (Ex): A rakasta can leap up to 20 feet from its mount and still make its full attack in the same round.

Zaster

First Post
If we're going with PC playable humanoids, do the special attacks make sense anymore? I could see maybe keeping Mounted Leap, but only if they keep thier racial bonus to Jump as well. To me, the Improved Grab and Rake only make sense if we go with a Monstrous Humanoid type and up the LA.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We're not trying to create a PC playable race. We are converting them "as-is"...the rakasta are no more or less a playable race than a gnoll, a bugbear, or a mind flayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads