• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

A leanchoilia is 8 feet long and weighs x pounds. (A marrella is 12 feet long and weighs 2,000 pounds.)

Flavor text is essentially a straight port from the marrella, as I could find little on them outside the original text.

Tactics?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Scaling would give a bit less than 1/3 the weight, so maybe 600 lb.

Tactics: attack only when it looks like they have a clear advantage, since they're primarily scavengers?

Cleon

Legend
Scaling would give a bit less than 1/3 the weight, so maybe 600 lb.

Tactics: attack only when it looks like they have a clear advantage, since they're primarily scavengers?

Okay, a few points.

Firstly, no eyes have been found for Leanchoilia so it may have been a blind creature that felt around with its "whips".

Shall we add the Blind and Blindsight SQs?

Secondly, reconstructions show an animal with a much thicker body than a Marrella. I suggest doubling Leanchoilia's weight to 1200 pounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Weight is fine.

Are the fossils good enough to be sure there aren't some kind of soft light sensing organs? I wouldn't know.

Cleon

Legend
Weight is fine.

Are the fossils good enough to be sure there aren't some kind of soft light sensing organs? I wouldn't know.

To the best of my knowledge, we can't be sure they didn't have soft light-sensing organs.

How about compromising by giving them poor eyesight (e.g. no ranks in or racial bonus in Spot) plus blindsight due to their feelers?

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about compromising by giving them poor eyesight (e.g. no ranks in or racial bonus in Spot) plus blindsight due to their feelers?

I like it, and it helps differentiate them.

Since it already lacks skills and a racial bonus to Spot, we could borrow this...

Myopic (Ex): A rekeihs is nearsighted, resulting in a -8 racial penalty on Spot checks made beyond 30 feet.

Blindsight 30 ft.?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads