• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

My only objection is to Ability Focus. It just feels a bit wrong here. DC 12 (14 when hunkered) seems plenty for a CR 1/2 critter. Alertness seems more appropriate.

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

My only objection is to Ability Focus. It just feels a bit wrong here. DC 12 (14 when hunkered) seems plenty for a CR 1/2 critter. Alertness seems more appropriate.

I don't mind removing Ability Focus, we can always save it for the Dire version.

Incidentally, a typical porcupine is 2 to 3 feet long (sans tail) and weighs 12 to 30 pounds.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Ready for the dire version?

It needs the standard Climb skill text:

Skills: Porcupines have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

The biggest species of Porcupine can reach 40-60 pounds, so I wondered about making the Advancement 1 HD (Medium) or 1 HD (Small); 2 HD (Medium), but I'm not sure I'm that keen on the idea.

Oh heck, it's just on the cusp of Small/Medium, so we might as well leave them Small.

Porcupines have a couple of other curious traits, such as:

Porcupines have excellent spatial memories (to remember were food-trees are in forests) so are good at navigating mazes and the like.

The North American Porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum) has antibiotic skin, so it doesn't get infected if it falls out of a tree and wounds itself with its own quills.

However, interesting as that is I think we can safely leave them out. (If the wizards left the tremorsense out of Crocodiles we can leave the navigation sense out of Porcupines).

Basically, this is a long way of saying "Give them the Skills writeup for Climb and move on the the Dire Porcupine".

Remove ads