Converting True Dragons

Shade

Monster Junkie
Treasure: Triple standard (all gems are pearls) ?

For this reason, a pearl dragon hoard can contain up to 5,000 gp in pearls for every age level the dragon has (these pearls are in addition to normal treasure types.)

Re-reading the original text, it sounds like they just hoard more pearls because they are easier to aquire in their domain.

How about Standard coins; triple standard goods (all gems are pearls); standard items?

The CR looks fantastic! Nice work. :D

Updated.

Level Adjustment: Wyrmling +2; very young +3; young +4; juvenile +4; others —?

Cleon

Legend
Re-reading the original text, it sounds like they just hoard more pearls because they are easier to aquire in their domain.

How about Standard coins; triple standard goods (all gems are pearls); standard items?

I still think we need more than that. An adult pearl dragon has H, U, while a great wyrm has H, U*4.

Type H:
5-30 1,000s of copper pieces: 25%
1-100 1,000s of silver pieces: 40%
10-40 1,000s of electrum pieces: 40%
10-60 1,000s of gold pieces: 55%
5-50 100s of platinum pieces: 25%
1-100 gems: 50%
10-40 jewelry: 50%
Maps or Magic Items: Any 4 plus 1 potion & 1 scroll: 15%

Type U:
10-80 gems: 90%
5-30 jewelry: 80%
Maps or Magic Items: 1 of each magic excluding potions & scrolls: 70%

Comparing those to the 2nd edition MM dragons that's pretty good. The Black and Brass Dragons just have type H as adults and H*3 as great wyrms, so a pearl dragon typically has the same coins as an adult than a Brass or Black's hoard, but more gems, jewelery & magic, while as a great wyrm it typically has less coinage but a lot more pearls, jewelery and magic.

Both Black and Brass Dragons have triple standard treasure in 3E, so I feel the Pearl should too.

The CR looks fantastic! Nice work. :D

Thankee kindly.:eek:

Level Adjustment: Wyrmling +2; very young +3; young +4; juvenile +4; others —?

That looks reasonable.

Cleon

Legend
Almost done. Just need to add the Hold Breath ability and its Con modifier multiplier. 10x perhaps?

Surely we should be multiplying the ability score itself rather than the modifier?

We can figure out what multiplier we need with a bit of reverse-engineering.

Since "a pearl dragon can stay underwater for up to an hour without surfacing for air" we know they can last up to 600 rounds.

If that's the maximum an average Great Wyrm (Con 25) can hold its breath for, that would translate to it holding its breath for a number of rounds equal to 24 times its Constitution score, since 600 divided by 25 is 24.

Does that sound OK?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Oh, I meant my original suggestion of

Treasure: triple standard (all goods are pearls)

or maybe what seems to be favored

Treasure: triple standard (all gems are pearls) .

Remove ads