Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
I always did think blade barrier was a funny fit for Good, but I guess it could be use of the spell by good aligned clerics in some older novels.

How about blade barrier, geas/quest, and true seeing?

Works for me!

7th level: greater teleport, spell turning (Luck domain), maybe mass hold person or banishment?

How about control weather for the third spell? It seems very appropriate thematically.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I thought about control weather, but he already has that 3/day as an SLA, so it seemed a bit redundant. We could do that if you really like, but I think I prefer banishment. Your choice.

Cleon

Legend
I thought about control weather, but he already has that 3/day as an SLA, so it seemed a bit redundant. We could do that if you really like, but I think I prefer banishment. Your choice.

Dang it, I forgot he had it as an SLA.

Still not that fond of banishment as a sorcerer spell because it's so situationally dependent.

How about limited wish? That's the most versatile 7th level spell!

freyar

Limited wish is also a 3/day SLA. What about mass hold person or greater arcane sight or greater scrying?

At 8th level, how about moment of prescience (it's Luck domain as well as Sor/Wiz) and maybe incendiary cloud as a potent, weather-like spell that's not also an SLA.

Cleon

Legend
Limited wish is also a 3/day SLA. What about mass hold person or greater arcane sight or greater scrying?

Dang it, I done it again! Then again, he's already got regular arcane sight on his spell list so the greater version is surplus to requirements!

Of those options I'd go for mass hold person as being more likely to see use in play.

At 8th level, how about moment of prescience (it's Luck domain as well as Sor/Wiz) and maybe incendiary cloud as a potent, weather-like spell that's not also an SLA.

I like moment of prescience but don't think incendiary cloud is that useful, powerful or flavourful.

The best option among Ahi's Domain spells looks to be holy aura. The other domain option of whirlwind seems a bit weak for an 8th-level spell and it's on the SLA list already as previously established.

Failing that, irresistible dance, mind blank, polymorph any object and protection from spells are all good picks.

freyar

Mass hold person for the last 7th level spell it is!

Let's do moment of prescience and holy aura at 8th level. I was going with moment of prescience as the domain spell, but it works just as well as a regular sorceror spell.

Ready for skills and feats?

Cleon

Legend
Mass hold person for the last 7th level spell it is!

Let's do moment of prescience and holy aura at 8th level. I was going with moment of prescience as the domain spell, but it works just as well as a regular sorceror spell.

Editing Working Spells.

Updating Ahi the Steel Dragon Working Draft.

Ready for skills and feats?

Sure!

I guess the easiest approach is to compare him to his brother, who has:

Rahab's Skills: Concentration, Intimidate, Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spellcraft (scrolls), Spot, Use Magic Device + (+ scrolls)

Ahi has a lot higher Intelligence so can max-out 16 skills, so how about we give him all of the above plus 7 more.

How about Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (nature), Hide, Sense Motive and Tumble?

That'd make it:

Ahi's Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (nature), Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft (scrolls), Spot, Tumble, Use Magic Device + (+ scrolls)

Rahab's feats offer less inspiration since he's a lot more melee-focused than his brother.

Rahab's Feats: Cleave, Devastating Critical (bite, DC 39), Fast Healing, Great Cleave, Hover, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Overwhelming Critical (bite), Power Attack, Snatch, Weapon Focus (bite)

Of those, the only ones I've included in Ahi's stat block are Fast Healing and Improved Initiative. That leaves 10.

Feat 1 & 2 - Fast Healing, Improved Initiative

Feat 3 - Blind-Fight (It'll increase his chances of hitting Rahab through the Grey Dragon's aura of profane darkness aura.

Feat 4 - Multiattack (He's got enough attacks would be useful.)

I reckon most of the rest ought to be spell feats. Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus in a couple of fields plus Quicken SLA and Spell Penetration seems a good basis, which leaves two feats undeclared:

Feat 5 - Quicken Spell-Like Ability (greater dispel magic)
Feat 6 - Spell Penetration
Feat 7 - Spell Focus (Abjuration)
Feat 8 - Greater Spell Focus (Abjuration)
Feat 9 - Spell Focus (Enchantment)
Feat 10 - Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment)
Feat 11 - ???
Feat 12 - ???

What do you reckon?

Last edited:

freyar

I like your proposed skills.

How about metamagic for the last two? I could see Heightened Spell and Repeat Spell possibly being useful.

Cleon

Legend
I like your proposed skills.

How about metamagic for the last two? I could see Heightened Spell and Repeat Spell possibly being useful.

Sure, those work for me.

That'd make it:

Ahi's Skills: Balance +4, Bluff +48, Concentration +45, Diplomacy +56, Disguise +10 (+14 act in character), Intimidate +52, Jump +20, Knowledge (arcane) +48, Knowledge (the planes) +48, Knowledge (nature) +48, Hide +22, Listen +48, Move Silently +38, Search +48, Sense Motive +48, Spellcraft +52 (+56 scrolls), Survival +10 (+14 aboveground, +14 on other planes), Spot +48, Tumble +38, Use Magic Device +48 (+52 scrolls)

Ahi's Feats: Blind-Fight, Fast Healing, Heighten Spell, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (greater dispel magic), Repeat Spell, Spell Focus (Abjuration), Spell Focus (Enchantment), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment), Greater Spell Focus (Abjuration)

Updating Ahi the Steel Dragon Working Draft.

freyar

Looking good.

Environment: Any land? "A castle floating in the wind" isn't a standard environment type. :p

Any thoughts on tactics? I was going with something like "Ahi uses his gaseous form and ability to control the winds and weather to great effect, preferring to deal with his opponents indirectly when possible." Something simple, like Rahab has.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases