Converting your campaign to 3.5?

the Jester

Legend
I've been debating whether to have an in-game rationale for why things suddenly change- I'm leaning towards a 'yes,' just because one of the major plot threads I'm using relies on multiple applications of Empower Spell (on simulacrum, natch), which will not be possible in 3.5.

But we'll see...

Fenes 2

First Post
I planned to convert when I first heard about the revision, but the amount of changes I will not use, or ban, convinced me otherwise. Nowadays I'll just use some rules and clarifications from 3.5 and continue my campaigns.

(I converted in mid-campaign from AD&D to 3E back in the days, but 3.5E just does not hold the same appeal.)

LuYangShih

First Post
I was very interested in 3.5 when it was first announced, but recent rules changes are making it apparent it is not what it was supposed to be. I doubt I will buy or use it.

Zarthon

Explorer
Xeoble said:
3.0 --> POOF --> 3.5

This is pretty much what Im going to do with my group, although Im going to use the conversion/cross over rules from WotC and wait for the 3.5 books with the errata (second printing) before I buy.

Im actually quite pleased with some of the changes to the rules, namely the save or die spells & the changes to the pc classes.

Im sure that the changes don't appeal to everyone but that is what house rules are for

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
As the DM I'll most defanatly be changing the monsters to use most of the 3.5 rules. That new MM looks too good to let slip by.

As far as the players, I'm guessing most will want to switch, since most of the rules I'm planning on using are the improvements. Most of the downtweeks I'm planing on disguarding (critical threat range, shortened spell duration, spell focus), since they just don't work for me. Haste harm and heal are the big three I'm willing to tone down.

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Will simply be changing to the new rules pretty much when they come out sans explanation. I'm running a campaign that is still quite low level at the moment and have 2 new to rpg players in the group, so it won't take much conversion / newthink.

/gnarlo!

GamerMan12

First Post
My 3.0 campaign, with my own fantasy world, has been going OK but, I think it was too scripted and I forced the plot on the players a bit much. I will be changing to a more free flowing campaign using FR, so perfect time to go to 3.5.

I am in a club and started the whole D&D 3.0 thing going, but now there are several campaigns using 3.0 and most people don't want to spend more money on rule books. I will get a couple of extra Player Handbooks and lend them out.

I really didn't like the 3.0 Ranger or the 3.0 Druid, or the use of Haste by Wizards and of course all were in use in my campaign. So I for one am looking forward to using the 3.5 rules.

GamerMan12

bwgwl

First Post
i'm not currently DMing, but when / if i start up again in the fall, it will be 3.5.

i'm playing in a 3.0 campaign right now, but i have a feeling it won't be switching over (too bad... i'm playing a dwarf barbarian with Power Attack and a two-handed weapon :D ).

i don't think switching rules in the middle of a campaign is a good idea, especially when you're already at 19th level. go ahead and finish it out with 3.0, then start the new one with the new rules.

Remathilis

Legend
My group looks something like this, based on Dm

Me: Start a new game 3.5
Andy: Keep with 3.0
Frank: Still run 2nd edition AD&D planescape...

You just can't convince some people... :rolleyes:

Taboo

First Post
oops..

disclaimer/edit to say: this is actually "paulewaug" posting this BTW. I didn't realize that my sister (Taboo) had logged me off and logged herself on...ooops!:eek:

I agree that since they are curently 19th level
it would probably be easiest to finish out (@20th level-?) the current game.
And then start a new game with all new 3.5 characters when you are ready.

My current campaign is fairly low level, everybody is 3rd right now,
we just started Of Sound Mind, and I would like to convert them all over before they level up to 4th. If my players are interested in 3.5, they seem determined to remain "blissfully un-aware" of what is going on with the system.

Last edited:

Remove ads