Cooks of ENWorld- Turkeycaust 2006 is over! What did you eat? (Recipes, anyone?)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We went to one of those upscale lunch buffets at a hotel, complete with jazz combo- simply great!

Good food, good music, and NO CLEANUP!

I had Lox, smoked scallops, boiled crab claws & shrimp, a little lamb, Eggs Benedict, mixed sauteed veggies, and fine cheeses & fruit. MMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

However, that wasn't the whole story. For me, cooking is fun- its the cleanup that sucks. Last evening, I cooked the dinner we ate tonight...a 20 lb turkey & Gumbo! My godmother cooked a batch of chayote squash...and tomorrow, we're doing another (smaller) turkey, a ribroast and some Oyster dressing... :):):):)

So even though I spent 12 hours in the kitchen (cooking & cleanup), and had to go to the buffet on only 3 1/2 hours sleep, it was a blast!

Oh, and if I may say so, my bird and my gumbo kicked Boo-tay!

For my bird, I melted some butter and mixed in some olive oil. Into that I mixed a pinch of citric acid (a powdered concentrate), a 1/2 cup of dry white wine (a drinkable one- not the stuff you get at the grocery store), some black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and fresh parseley. I spooned it over the entire bird, ensuring an even spread by hand. After that, I added additional onion powder and garlic powder, and a sprinkle of paprika to aid in browning.

He was then stuffed and draped with baby carrots, yellow onions, green onions, red onions, and celery.

Cooking was for 30 minutes at 425deg F, followed by 2 hours at 350deg F.

There was no bagging, no basting, no turning, and the bird turned out perfect- nice and juicy with a crisp brown skin. The veggies came out crisp & sweeeeeet.

No salt was harmed in the cooking of this bird.
Instead of just putting the bird up after dinner, though, we deboned him completely- it takes up less room in the fridge that way- and put the carcass in hot water to make a turkey stock, along with some wilted parsley and dried out carrots (trust me)...which we will use in future gumbos. (That stock-making process added hours to my cooking time, but its well worth it.)

Zamtap

First Post
It ain't quite over :)

In England some do "Turkeycaust" for Christmas so recipes for Turkey much appriciated and what do you do with cold Turkey after the main event

Zamtap

Huw

First Post
Zamtap said:
It ain't quite over :)

In England some do "Turkeycaust" for Christmas so recipes for Turkey much appriciated and what do you do with cold Turkey after the main event

Zamtap

Yup, we've got the consumption of large fowl and a short holiday to digest them coming up in a month...

Personally, I think cold turkey with pasta goes down well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We do sandwiches and soup ingredients with our leftover turkey. Sometimes, especially with a big bird, we'll freeze it and have it months down the road.

Aurora

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
I had Lox, smoked scallops, boiled crab claws & shrimp, a little lamb, Eggs Benedict, mixed sauteed veggies, and fine cheeses & fruit. MMMMMmmmmmmmmm.
OMG that all sounds good! I mean, makes my mouth water good. I hate you. I now need good seafood. :lol:

ssampier

First Post
We're pretty dull. We cook for a small group, so our spread is fairly restrained. We had a 14 lb Turkey, cornbread stuffing on the side, garlic mashed potatoes, basic brown flour gravy, and blueberry cheesecake for desert.

I prepared the turkey. I merely brushed the skin with oil, stuffed it with aromatics, and roasted it in the oven. It wasn't quite as juicy or flavorful as I would have liked. I probably should brine the turkey next time.

Last edited:

Aurora

First Post
ssampier said:
I probably should brine the turkey next time.
I think that brined turkey is good. Of course, I tried a bit of one of those deep fried turkeys once and OH MY was that good! One of the best turkeys I have ever had, of course, you may burn down your house though preparing it though! :p

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yes- fried turkey is AWESOME!

One of my uncles is a creole cook who used to have a restaraunt some years ago (no, you haven't heard of him), and he routinely fries turkeys for the hollidays.

In fact, despite all the food I mentioned above, I'm supposed to pick up a fried turkey tomorrow. :)

However, as has been pointed out, it is hazardous to cook it. You need the proper tools & equipment, and you'd better have done your homework, or else you run a HUGE risk of catastrophe- fires from upset burners (esp. those set on wood decks), burns from hot oil (getting the bird in), or even a ruined turkey because you don't have a good way to get it out until its too late.

ssampier

First Post
Aurora said:
I think that brined turkey is good. Of course, I tried a bit of one of those deep fried turkeys once and OH MY was that good! One of the best turkeys I have ever had, of course, you may burn down your house though preparing it though! :p

Great. I wish I could smoke the turkey instead but it's a bit cold outside.

Aurora

First Post
ssampier said:
Great. I wish I could smoke the turkey instead but it's a bit cold outside.
It's never too cold to smoke a turkey! I loves me some smoked turkey. Really, any smoked meat is good. It's full of carcinogens, but then again, so is everything.....

Remove ads