• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest weapon from literature?

Favorite named sword from literature?

• Lightbringer

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Ice

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • Need

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Glamdring

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Narsil

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Sting

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Stormbringer

Votes: 106 44.9%
  • Callandor

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 56 23.7%

theburningman

First Post
OK, I know it's cheating, but everybody else is doing it, sooo. . .

"Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight."

"Thunder--Thunder--Thundercats! Hoooo!"

Yeah, baby! The Sword of Omens! Lion-o was a little pussycat (ahem) without it.

And while we're on the topic of weapons that make their owners. . .

"By the power of Grayskull! I have the powerrrrr!"

(He-Man! Da-da-da-daaa-da! He-Man!)

He-Man's Sword of Power! (If that's what it was called.)

Hey, it gives you eighteen-inch biceps, rock-hard abs AND a tan to die for!

Last edited:

Wolvorine

First Post
theburningman said:
OK, I know it's cheating, but everybody else is doing it, sooo. . .

"Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight."

"Thunder--Thunder--Thundercats! Hoooo!"

Yeah, baby! The Sword of Omens! Lion-o was a little pussycat (ahem) without it.

And while we're on the topic of weapons that make their owners. . .

"By the power of Grayskull! I have the powerrrrr!"

(He-Man! Da-da-da-daaa-da! He-Man!)

He-Man's Sword of Power! (If that's what it was called.)

Hey, it gives you eighteen-inch biceps, rock-hard abs AND a tan to die for!

Hey now, the Sword of Omens was fairly killer. I mean come on, a longtooth dagger (whoah, 1E magical item chart reference, hehe) with a crystal ball mounted into it's crossguard -- how can this not be cool?? hehe

As for He-Man, that would properly be The Power Sword (very possibly later corrupted into the sword of power, but I still think everything about the cartoon messed up the perfectly fine lil stories inthe wee comics that came with the figures originally).

There, I am officially pathetic to be able to give such info off the top of my head. But hey, I did a really cool conversion of the Sword of Omens back in 1E. Wish I still had that.

Beowulf

First Post
Oh, come on! Only 3 people voted for Hrunting?! This is the coolest sword ever! For one, it was the first epic sword, and second it turned even and old man like Beowulf into a nearly unstoppable fighting machine.

A couple of swords from Danish history:

Skræp - the sword of King Vermund, with which Uffe, his son defeated both the Saxon prince and his giant bodyguard. It "sang" when it was swung and was the only sword that Uffe could use without breaking it.

Tyrfing - the sword of the mighty berserker Angantyr, son of Arngrim. Retrieved from his grave by the shieldmaiden Hervør who defied the undead guarding his grave. It was cursed (it was made by the dwarves) and could not be sheathed until it had tasted blood. Hervør's son killed his own brother with it.

kkoie

First Post
Re: Re: Favorite Sword

derverdammte said:

In Moorcock's Eternal Champion stories, wasn't Durendal just another aspect of the Black Sword, just as Roland was another incarnation of the Champion? I definitely remember Oliphaunt being the Grail, in any case.

From what I understand, Stormbringer is represented in some form in all of Moorcocks Eternal Champion stories. For example in the Hawkmoon series, Stormbringer is represented by black jewel imbedded in his forehead.

K Koie

Duvall

First Post
Bob Aberton said:
Excalibur. I mean, the not only can it "cut through an iron bar" (obviously the Keen ability) but the sheath keeps you from dying of wounds (Acts as a Ring of Regeneration that doesn't take up space).

Excalibur = +7 Keen Bastard Sword

Actually, according to Malory, the holder of the sheath does not bleed...period.

Re: Re: Brust

Hypersmurf said:
I wish we'd seen some more of Doomgiver - we only ever vaguely saw it in action once, from memory.

Check out Saberhagen's Armory of Swords, a selection of short stories featuring some of the swords.

I remember it has one for Woundhealer, and one for Doomgiver, and even one for Shieldbreaker vs. Coinspinner. I think.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Re: Brust

Check out Saberhagen's Armory of Swords, a selection of short stories featuring some of the swords.

I remember it has one for Woundhealer, and one for Doomgiver, and even one for Shieldbreaker vs. Coinspinner. I think.

Ah?

Now that you mention it, I have a vague memory of having checked it out of a library once upon a time.

The Swords series I own, and have read many times.

The Lost Swords series I own the first few of, and have read less often.

Armory, I can't really remember at all :)

-Hyp.

Ace

Adventurer
Tsyr said:
I'm gonna go with one probably most people aren't terribly familiar with... Need. Need was cool. Good backstory, good personality, good character development. And yes, I am talking about a sword here :)

Using just the swords on this list I have to second Need

Very cool sword and one with usefull powers to boot

s/LaSH

First Post
Well, here's one that's been missed out, although it's a little metaphysical:

The Discworld Death's scythe.

That thing can cut candle flames in half. It flickers blue because air molecules touch the blade and get split in half.

And yet, it's never been used... the dead leave their bodies after life and death just provides guidance. And anything that can threaten Death is far, far too dangerous for a mere weapon to affect. No, for that you need something even more powerful.

And by definition of 'more powerful than the weapon of an anthropomorphic personification', the most powerful weapon in existance is (SPOILER AHEAD) chocolate. Especially small ones; you know, the kind that have nougat centers or coconut caramel.

And if you don't get that, you obviously don't read enough Terry Pratchett.

Remove ads