• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core Books - What are they?

Dingo333

First Post
To play all you need is the core book (beastiary is handy for summoning spells)
To GM, the beasiary and Core (the GMG I have heard good things about but do not have so can not comment on its level of needed)

After those, the APG is very nice and I love its content

Beastiary 2 is spectacular and allows you to change up the combat enemies

Ultimate Magic is amazing, and if you like magic users I highly recommend it

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
My definition of Core = Core rulebook + Bestiary. The rest is options and are allowed on a case by case basis. The APG, GMG, Bestiary II, the Utlimates are all sources of customization of the game. They are means to an end and by no means essential in running a fun game.

Windjammer

Adventurer
Another voice for Core Rulebook (which contains both PHB and DMG) and Bestiary.

I would seriously advise you to invest in the Campaign Setting ("Inner Sea World Guide") before buying more rules hardcovers.

If there's one major reason to play Pathfinder, it's the setting. Think of it this way - if you just got into D&D 3.x, I'd say get the core 3 and the FR Campaign Setting book. Certainly get that before buying Complete Warrior etc. Much better choice.

Plus, that setting book fills in lots of background info on the human subraces and other stuff introduced in the Core Rulebook. I really think the Golarion book makes for a more complete game overall, and that's before you fill up on extra feats and spells.

pawsplay

Hero
Counterpoint: the World Guide is the second to last thing I bought, I'm not emotionally attached to Golarion, and I've published a Pathfinder-compatible sourcebook.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
I agree with the general opinion of the thread: you need the Core Book and the Bestiary. Get the Advanced Player's Guide as soon as you can. If you're the GM, I highly recommend the GMG and, if you use your computer when you run, open up Paizo's SRD. I cannot tell you how much time I save clicking things instead of looking them up in the middle of a battle!

I haven't gotten a single dud from Paizo so far, so you're pretty safe buying books from them. There are also a lot of third party publishers that put out great products, like Super Genius and Rite Publishing. I know that's more than you're asking, but we're gamers. You'll want more once you get going. :)

Summer-Knight925

First Post
is just the core book enough? (with classes and races and all that fun stuff) and NOT the bestiary?

is that enough to start?

I too am switching too pathfinder and only have enough money for the corebook, so yeah....do I have to have the bestiary?

pawsplay

Hero
is just the core book enough? (with classes and races and all that fun stuff) and NOT the bestiary?

is that enough to start?

I too am switching too pathfinder and only have enough money for the corebook, so yeah....do I have to have the bestiary?

You could get by using the online reference documents for monsters, probably for a long time.

Remove ads