• NOW LIVE! -- One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition on Kickstarter! A booklet of colourful one-page adventures for D&D 5th Edition ranging from levels 1-9 and designed for a single session of play.

Corebooks in June!: News from the Alliance Retailer Summit

teitan

Hero
I just got back from Alliance's Ft. Wayne retailers summit and it was a heck of a good show. The big thing though is that during dinner WOTC's Sara Girard (who had quite the fan club) gave a great talk on 4e D&D. First the big news...

All three core rulebooks will be out in June!

They showed a list of all the products coming out for 08. A few caught my eye. Apparently the Realms are going to be 2 books, a Campaign Guide and then 2 months later a Player's Guide. I can't remember the names of all the books but the Manual of the Planes was on the list and some Dungeon Tiles.

In Miniature news the D&D minis sets are all going to be updated to 4e via a pdf download. They are starting with some of the more recent sets but will get to all of them. Sara said it was like designing an all new set and will take some time but eventually everything will be updated.

She re-emphasized several key points. Faster to play, easier to play and teach, and easier for the DM to run. She also mentioned that yes, the DM can run encounters etc. on the fly.

Last edited:

Reaper Steve

Explorer
teitan said:
All three core rulebooks will be out in June!

No offense, but I'll have to see that from another source to believe it. I think it's a better business model to do one a month for three months.

Of course, it may be true, given that the blogs make the appear that the MM is about done.

Jack99

Adventurer
June would suit me perfectly, since I am starting 7 weeks of vacation on July 1st. I however will remain very sceptical until I see it on the Gleeeemax

Reaper Steve

Explorer
teitan said:
It was right there on the screen in huge letters. But you are allowed to be skeptical. ;)

Ahhh...I didn't read close enough... June for all three, not May for all three. That certainly is more feasible.

But I would still prefer one a month. What ever happened to the reasoning that all 3 books in one month would be too much of a financial burden on the retailers?

teitan

Hero
Reaper Steve said:
Ahhh...I didn't read close enough... June for all three, not May for all three. That certainly is more feasible.

But I would still prefer one a month. What ever happened to the reasoning that all 3 books in one month would be too much of a financial burden on the retailers?

The decision was based on retailer and player feedback

teitan

Hero
I just remembered, I have a weird memory, but they are releasing a gift set at the same time that includes a slip case and it will be 10 cents more... LOL.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
All three books in June makes more sense to me. You won't end up with players owning the PHB and having to wait around two more months before DMs have all the resources they need to get a 4e game going.

As for burden on the retailers, my guess would be that most retailers who expect to move a significant number of books will take pre-orders, thereby getting payment ahead of time for the wholesale purchase of the books. This will help pay for their non-reserved stock of books.

A'koss

Explorer
Thornir Alekeg said:
All three books in June makes more sense to me. You won't end up with players owning the PHB and having to wait around two more months before DMs have all the resources they need to get a 4e game going.

As for burden on the retailers, my guess would be that most retailers who expect to move a significant number of books will take pre-orders, thereby getting payment ahead of time for the wholesale purchase of the books. This will help pay for their non-reserved stock of books.
Yup. This is awesome news indeed...

Reaper Steve

Explorer
teitan said:
I just remembered, I have a weird memory, but they are releasing a gift set at the same time that includes a slip case and it will be 10 cents more... LOL.

While I'm more than content for the one book a month approach...
getting all three in a slip case right out the gate definitely has my attention, and will have my money!

mhensley

First Post
I won't believe it until someone from wotc says it. Putting all the books in one month leaves two pretty big gaps in their publishing schedule. Plus there's only so many 300 page books I can read in a month, much less afford to buy.

psionotic

I love it, especially if the three volume slipcase is available day one... My desire to have new rules the second they are available always trumps my desire to own the set. :D

An Advertisement

Advertisement4