Cormanthyr Spring

ShawnLStroud

First Post
Your Introduction
This is a low-level campaign that takes place in the Forgotten Realms' Cormanthyr Wood. It's a place in flux since the recent departure of the elves from the area.

For hundreds of years, the Moon Elf population, housed in their capitol area, helped police the Wood. They, along with indigenous Wood Elf and feral Wild Elf populations, prevented incursions from goblinoid races such as Orcs, goblins, kobolds, etc. They held agreements with the human settlements in the various Dales regarding logging and other environmental issues.

Then they left.

It's spring, 1372.

ShawnLStroud

First Post
Cormanthyr Spring - The Player's Introduction

This is the text of the Player Introduction

The woods here are dark and the tiny pools of light that make it to the ground seem overwhelmed by the shadows of the giant trees all around. The air is stifling; as if the forest acts like a huge woolen blanket on the ground – insulating the ground from the air, but trapping the heat and humidity. Out in the fields, the air was pleasant; in here the air wraps around you like a coat.
Of course, you might be more comfortable if you weren’t roped to a slave coffle, or if you hadn’t spent the last day and night being chivvied along like a truant child by the Orc raiding party. You might be more alert if you’d eaten the foul swill the Orc guard tried to pour down your throat this morning – even if it did smell like the bastard child of Gorgonzola cheese and month-old sewage. You might even have an idea where you were in the forest if some bastard Orc didn’t cuff you on the side of the head every time you looked up from the dismal animal track you’ve been shuffling along for the past eight hours.

Then again, perhaps being able to think may not be your best option. Even now, you shudder to recollect the horrible victory party that was held around the smoking ruins of the small tavern in Tavolo Verde. You pity the women, passed from one Orc to another; and you try to forget their piteous shrieks as they were used again and again. Tears of shame well up in your eyes when you remember the colicky baby that was so casually killed right in front of you, and you can’t erase the sight of that tiny body cast so roughly aside, blood and brain matter spattering on the flinching mother.

Tavolo Verde had been in the middle of the Spring Festival, and you’d been in the village because of the light ale brewed in the area. Battledale is known for its hardened inhabitants, but Mistledale is the blessed Dale. Your day had been spent at the fair, haggling over trinkets for loved ones at home, idly watching some of the competitive events, going for the gold ring in others and generally enjoying your first free spring in years. You fell into a heavy, self-satisfied slumber at the end of the evening, sated with spicy bratwurst, pale ale and good company.

You awakened to a nightmare of screams and fire, orcs and wolf-riding goblins running amok through the village. You have a memory of the raid leader, a slender, dread locked orc female who ruthlessly suppressed and corralled the mage staying at the inn with you. You remember the cries of dismay when the orc raiders weren’t effected by what were called sleep spells.

You grind your teeth, and that bastard orc cuffs you on the side of the head with a growled, “Shut yer trap, meat!”
You decide to wait for your opportunity. These bastards are going to slip up, then you’ll make them rue the day they put you in a collar. That’s the thought that keeps you alive.

Last edited:

ShawnLStroud

First Post
Cormanthyr Spring Continued

The players in our tale of woe:

Dain: A slender moon elf male with abnormally pale skin. He wears a dark robe over muddy trousers and a tunic.
Edo: A well-built human male. He wears a torn white robe with a tabard that marks him as a priest of Torm. He's young, and his eyes are haunted by what's just happened to him and the village of Tavolo Green.
Erev-Ba: A cat-like moon elf female in a torn tunic, trousers and light boots. Her hair is dark, her eyes are green, and she moves with quick grace -- although it's hard to see under the dirt. She's got a bruise on her temple, a cut on her right cheek and an alert, watchful gaze.
Tannon: A slender moon elf female with light coloring: Green eyes and reddish hair. She moves with an unusual economy of movement. She's dressed in a simple tunic and trousers, with no footwear at all. One might be tempted to take her for an intinerant priest, but for the lack of markings on her clothing.
Jared: A rough-looking older human male. He's obviously seen some 50 summers, as the silver in his chestnut hair and beard can attest. He's dressed in leather trousers and torn leather tunic, with woodsman's boots.
Tethka: An obviously young human female. She's striking because of the silver-white hair worn in warrior's braids down her back. The muscles in her arms and back move smoothly as she trudges, indicating great strength and agility, but the look out of her eyes is world weary and frightened. She's dressed in a tunic, leather vest and trousers with solid walking boots.

Their current situation:
The folks above, as well as at least half of the population from Tavolo Green, are tied to a coffle with rough rawhide laces. Each person wears a heavy leather collar that is tied to a heavy rope hawser some 4" in diameter and some 60' in length. The people are tethered in pairs, with each individual supporting a length of the hawser. Each person's hands are tied together in front of them, with their elbows also tied together. This means that each person's hands are currently just below their chins, with their bound elbows at just about waist level. This is an incredibly uncomfortable long term pose, and allows a guard to ascertain what a person on the coffle is doing with their hands at a glance.

The coffle (slave chain) has been traveling all night (about 8 hours), and has covered about 15 miles from the smoking ruins of Tavolo Green. The pairs of our focus party in the coffle are: Jared and Tetka, Erev-ba and Tannon, and Edo and Dain.

Our Story Begins with the Next Post!

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Sigh. Just what I need - another cool story hour to follow. Thanks a lot Shawn. Perhaps if your opening narrative hadn't been so good, I could have escaped. But no.

Well, count me in for the duration.

:D

ShawnLStroud

First Post
Rel said:
Sigh. Just what I need - another cool story hour to follow. Thanks a lot Shawn. Perhaps if your opening narrative hadn't been so good, I could have escaped. But no.

Well, count me in for the duration.

:D

You have only yourself to blame, Rel. You and Old One have bewitched me with your silky words and totally cool campaigns... I just had to try to document my own campaign in your style. We'll see if I can back up my bluster with some content.

By the way.... Thanks. :D It's good to measure up!

ShawnLStroud

First Post
Episde 1: the Coffle

It's noon -- not quite two days since the raid.

The orc raiders had pushed the coffle unmercifully for many hours through that night and the next day, then finally allowed everyone to rest several hours after sundown. The unwholesome victory party was repeated by the orcish raiders -- and the latter half of the coffle noticed that their female members were approached by one or another of the raiders, but left alone after a long gaze and a sulpherous curse from the raider in question.

Just after dawn, orc raiders had kicked awake the people in the coffle. A young-looking orc in studded leather had passed up both sides of the coffle, offering a ladle of some foul smelling and no doubt poisonous swill to each of the captives. Most of the villagers from Tavolo Green, frightened and hungry, had taken the swill and a swig of spring water from this captor. None of our heros accepted the ladle, but did accept the proffered water.

Feeling somewhat better, the captives were unsurprised when one of the most fearsome of the orcish brutes dragged the front of the coffle up and shouted in broken Trade Tongue, "UP! You go now!" A leading man in the coffle, the tavern keeper, attempted to say something, and was cuffed viciously across the face. "You MEAT now! MEAT don't talk! MEAT just WALKS!"

The next few hours passed without incident, if you discount the numerous times coffle members were cuffed and spat on by their orc captors. During this inverval, the young priest, Edo, noticed that his moon elf companion, Dain, seemed almost... well... not entirely lucid. The elf mumbled under his breath, perspiring and glancing up at the sun and then around. Several times this resulted in Dain being cuffed and struck about the head and shoulders by one or another of the orc raiders. By noon, Dain's pallid face was covered in bruises, his lips split and torn by the rough handling of the captors. Further up the coffle, Jared was stealing glances around at all of the raiders he could see, while Tethka merely bowed her head and walked. She seemed to have sunk into herself, providing no additional excuse for abuse at the hands of the raiders and seemingly becoming invisible. As to the two elfin females, Erev-ba and Tannon, each walked through the morning with little or no difficulty. More than once each of these winsome elf maidens were eyed, sniffed and then spat at by one or more of the raiders. The two looked at one another quizzically, but never spoke.

Now the coffle is stopped in a meadow some 60 feet wide. One of the orcs, a huge barbarous fellow with a face almost obscured by swirling tattoos shouts out in Trade Tongue, "You rest now!"

Jared whispers to Tethka, "Ye alright, lass?" She merely nods, not meeting his eyes.

Suddenly, there's a commotion at the rear-most point of the coffle. An orcish voice shouts out, but is clipped short and... one of the captives, a middle-aged man with greying blonde hair is sprinting for the tree line. His hands are free, and he charges for the nearest bush. With whoops and yips, five young orc raiders charge after him, easily catching him short of the concealing trees. One raider reaches out and swings the man around, perhaps to cuff him into submission, but is surprised as the fellow whips around with a small knife and gashes his face. The first orc stumbles back, clutching his face, but the other four pile onto the man, forcing him to the ground. Then they beat him. Badly. The group of orcs is joined by another of the older-looking, tattooed orcs who yanks up the man by the scruff of the neck and frog-walks him up to the raid leader. The younger orcs follow, chest-thumping and high-fiving one another. The injured orc still clutches at his face, and blood wells out through his pale fingers.

The orc raid leader shouts something in an almost pleasant tenor voice, and then the remaining orcs force the coffle into a shallow crescent shape. Now all of the members of the coffle can see the fate of the middle aged man. His head hangs to one side, his face distorted with swelling and fresh blood. The orc female, her dreadlocks bobbing around her strangely slim face, turns to the coffle and speaks in unaccented Trade Tongue, "Listen to me, people of the village! Your old lives are over. Before you owned property, you held land and you farmed for yourself. Those days are through. Now you are mine. You are slaves. You are mine to kill, sell or eat as I choose. Before you had a name. Now you are MEAT. To live, you must learn a new way, and now I will teach it to you."

She turns to the man and picks up his head by the forelock.

"This man tried to run away. He denies he is MEAT. When we try to capture him, he harms us." She takes a curved dagger from her belt and suddenly slashes the man across his face, then repeats the process so that he has a huge "X" centered on his nose. His eyes pop open and he screams, with fresh blood running down his face into his eyes and onto his soiled night shirt.

"You don't EVER run. You don't EVER resist. You are MEAT! You don't have to be pretty to be MEAT. You don't have to be pretty to be useful." The man is still screaming, but has begun to curse and spew at the orc female. She listens to him for a moment, then grabs his tongue and spears her dagger down through it, pinning most of it outside his mouth.

"You don't have to have a tongue to be useful. " She nods at the tattooed orc holding the man up, who reaches around and yanks the tongue from the man's mouth. A gout of blood shoots from the man's mouth, cascading onto his chest. The orc female reaches behind her and unlimbers the Great Club slung across her back. It is a beautiful, yet disturbing club, carved into the shape of clouds and distended faces on the striking area. She takes the club in two hands, and, with a speed and power that belie her comparative slightness, smashes both of the man's legs. The long bones of his legs shatter, and the sound of crushing and breaking meat resonates through the meadow.

"You DO need legs, though." She nods at the tattooed orc, who snatches a hand axe from his belt and quickly beheads the man, holding up the head for all to see. Many of the people in the coffle scream and cry, but these cries don't last long. The orcs wade into the coffle, cuffing the kneeling captives into submissive silence.

"Where you are going, they will treat you worse than this. You are MEAT now. You follow directions, you live. Defy us and you die -- slowly. That is all. "

This has been too much. Dain, who before had been somewhat pacified, begins to struggle with his bonds, crying out, "...They are here! They're all around us! They can see us! We must flee! Help me, you fools, they're coming!" Before Edo can do so much as flinch, the other tattooed orc smashes Dain in the face. Dain's nose shatters, and he slumps toward the ground, unconscious. This proves to be somewhat of a problem for Edo, who now must support Dain's weight and that of the coffle hawser. Edo does what he can to get his shoulder under the unconscious moon elf, and is barely able to support them both as the coffle is prodded and poked back into a line. Everyone is quiet for the rest of the day. Dain wakes an hour or two later, and has some difficulty breathing through his mouth. He is wisely quiet for the rest of the afternoon.

Old One

First Post
Great Start!

SLS -

I have to echo Rel's words though...I spend way too much time reading Story Hours as it is...now I have another one to follow!

Great start and I am looking forward to more!

Old One

Dain

First Post
Extra Character Details for flavor

Dain has long, unkempt hair with bangs that have probably never been trimmed. His hair hangs wildly in his face, only allowing an occasional glimpse of intense dark eyes with an unbalanced gleam in them pretty much most of the time. He rarely speaks, but when he does it is very slow, deliberate, almost melodic, and very dramatic. Hearing him speak, one knows immediately he is insane, evil, dramatic, or just putting on one heck of an act to try to impress or intimidate those around him. Unfortunately his appearance and body language are as unusual as his speech, and the whole package matches perfectly, making it impossible to tell if it is all just a really bizarre act or if he has...other problems.

As noon starts getting closer, Dain seems to get increasingly agitated, trying desperately to cover himself and keep to the shadows, eyes darting back and forth across the sky fearfully. Shortly before noon he becomes truely frantic. He begins shrieking, "We need to get under cover! They're watching us! You fools, they'll see us! They'll see us!". He seems to have lost touch with reality here as he begins lurching frantically against his collar towards the nearest cover, doing as much damage to himself as has already been done to him by his captors. He is obviously in such extream terror that he seems to have completely forgotten his current situation, utterly oblivious to the fact he is endangering his own life by becoming such a nuisance. "Get to the Trees! Get to the Trees! While there's still Time! They'll s..." Whump! Dain collapses unconscious to the ground.

Those nearby stand stunned in confused disbelief. What in the world could drive this bizarre elf into such sheer depths of terror? What did he know that they did not...or was he just nuts? Thinking back, they did recall that in the short time they've been together he did always seem agitated near noon and calm down afterwards as if nothing were wrong in the first place...but he was NEVER excited to this level before...then again they'd never been in the wide open near noon before either. What unknown horror was this elf so sure was up above? Only time will tell as Lhathordainadin (Dain for short) Mordre's story continues...or comes to an abrupt and violent end.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Wow!

Shawn, if you GM half as good as you write, your games must be a real treat!

I recently mentioned in a thread titled, "What Makes A Good Adventure" that the PC's having a personal stake in the game is far more compelling than them just being adventurers seeking cash, magic items and experience points. Your description conjures such a visceral hate for the slavers that I foresee you having no problems getting the characters to want to engage them later (assuming they survive their current predicament).

Your real problem might come in if you try to get them to follow any adventure leads that don't include them exterminating every orc on the planet.

Great story so far. Can't wait for more.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases