Cormyr: The Smile of Chauntea

MulhorandSage

First Post
darkbard said:
excellent story! i'm new to it with today's posting but it's already among my favorites. it seems i've been steeping myself in your writing lately [i'm the fellow who was inquiring about more information about mulhorand on a thread in the general boards some weeks back and went on to download the ESD of the old empires and your 3e conversion]. thanks for the inspiration and here's hoping to some more frequent updates!

You're welcome Darkbard (you too Broc). I'm glad the GM's running again, and that people are getting a chance to enjoy the write-ups.

Scott Bennie
------
Coming in April from Green Ronin, the game of Old Testament role-playing! (check www.greenronin.com for more details)

MulhorandSage

First Post
WARNING: SPOILERS for Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor ahead

24th day of Uktar, in the Year of the Standing Stone, 1372.
In the shadow of the Death That Grows

Dear Sister,

My apologies for cutting my last correspondence short - these days I've done so much running that I'm easily caught out of breath and barely have strength to lift a pen.

I would tell you that I'm foreshadowing, my dear, except that I know you're smart enough to fil in between the lines.

Kord lay at our feet like a bound pig before the feast. I rather liked the pose, but Ulrick insisted on untying him so we could speak with him freely. I wondered how he'd react to me, especially since I had planted the seed in Ulrick's mind that led to his dismissal, but his anger was mostly directed at the paladin. Elvish eyes, with their eyebrows jutting the wrong way through an evil glare, almost look comical when they're angry. Ulrick bore the resentment with surprising good humor, and was more than happy to embrace Kord and bring him back into our little fellowship.

Paladins and their ways are as obscure as the gods' fingerprints upon the cosmos, and sometimes more than that.

Kord was reluctant to explain what had happened to put him in such dire straits. Gradually we pried some interesting tales from him; he had fled Cormyr after he was outlawed, and returned to the Dales. (I believe he hinted that he had encountered some revenants). In the Dales he learned that the Dragon Cultists were despoiling elvish tombs - presumably searching for magic items to feed the Pool of Radiance so they could warp the Weave to their purposes. Travelling here to prevent that atrocity, somehow he had been ambushed, knocked unconscious, and bound and gagged (though once the bonds were loosened, the elf's pride and delusions became so great that he refused to believe that he had ever been knocked out, as though the unfairness of the universe could be remedied by simply wishing it away).

So Kord was with us once more. But that left the appalling question on how, in all Faerûn, did we manage to get back together at this Azuth-forsaken tower?

"Fate," Ulrick decided, and his words held the promise of an extremely uncomfortable truth. "It's fate that we're back together."

One cannot deny that great deeds sometimes mold men like clay, despite one's will and one's common sense.

Promising the gnome that we would rescue its comrade, we advanced on the tower. It lay huddled in the center of a forest glade on the outskirts of Myth Drannor, which cast a huge shadow directly to the east. The glade was tinder-dry from the summer heat, surrounded by long grass and dry shrubery, though on the northern side it was very close to the forest, The keep was constructed from granite, and looked like strong dwarf-work, with a square bailey that rounded to a circular parapet. Beyond the tower was a graveyard, and in the distance, we could see (and smell) the carrionated remains of fallen cultists, pressed into soulless labour without surcease, the perfect charnel workers for the Sammasterites.

"Let's avoid that for now," Kord suggested, though the sight of the undead made our Tormite leader's blood burn. Kord noticed a piece of paper tied to a tree. "Read me," it said in the common tongue. Drawn by curiosity like a small stupid child, Ulrick strode to the note before I could warn him, and read the inscription. I swear I could see his lips move.

The note exploded in a ball of flame. I hate it when someone gets cute with explosive runes.

Suddenly at least three Sammasterite patrols converged on where we were standing, swarming us from all sides. Seeing incredible peril encircle us, Ulrick did what every paladin would do - he charged straight ahead. There must be a handbook somewhere that tells them to do that. Suddenly a swarm of magical bolts issued from barely-shuttered windows in the tower, exploding all around us, a searing cauldron of bluefire bubbling over in our vacinity. Fortunately I had taken the (sensible) precaution of surrounding myself with dweomermirrors, magical illusions that walked as I walked, otherwise these volleys would have torn me to pieces as surely as if I were surrounded by the swords of a barbarian horde. Unfortunately, the bolts also shattered my illusions within seconds, leaving me practically naked, with only a wizard's armor spell to shield me from harm.

But far worse off than I was Ulrick, whose body was now covered in wounds - his charge had borne the brunt of the enemy attack - and he was forced to call upon the power of Torm to heal himself. Seeing a host of foes issue from a small ruin that had been dug in the hillside like a badger's hole, I cast several fireballs from my wand to incinerate them. They did, but they also set the grass on fire. Some of the advancing host were slain, but the bulk of their force continued to advance.

"Retreat!" Ulrick shouted, realizing we wouldn't make our way to the keep's front gate alive. So we retreated, even as the magic missiles continued to batter us, and Kord found himself in a sniper's duel with several of the Dragon Cult's rangers. Eventually - battered, beaten, and frightened out of our wits - we managed to retreat back to the gate of Mystryl (which in Aron's armor is a considerable feat) and from there we returned to Saerloon to catch our breath.

Once we finally regained our composure - and wasted our energies with the usual exchange of angry words - we determined that we could not abandon our quest, so we decided to return to the keep at the edge of Myth Drannor and fight again. Ulrick was determined that we wouldn't use the gates to return, for he was certain they were guarded. I was loth to take the time to travel there on foot, for I feared what was happening in Wheloon in our absence, and felt the press of time upon our errand. The others were willing to wait. I swear that my companions are like children who cannot stop themselves from playing in poison ivy - they care about nothing except their current itch, yet take no sensible precautions to protect themselves from it.

We hired a mage from the temple of Azuth (my patron deity, in case you thought I was still besotted by my brief dailliance with Mystraism) who teleported us back into the area. That is, everyone except Aron - the damn fool let go of the teleport chain just before the spell was cast.

"We go on without him," Ulrick declared, and so we devised a cunning plan that would compensate for our diminished combat strength (though if Aron kept missing the target with that damn flail of his, it wouldn't be diminishing us too badly).

So what was this cunning plan? At least it was a paladin's idea of cunning (which very much resembles other people's ideas of simple): this time we would ambush a Sammasterite patrol, steal their uniforms (the least bloodied ones, I assume), find a safe place to observe the front gate, and wait until another patrol approached the door, Hopefully, we'd then learn the password and use it to infiltrate our way inside the keep.

Unfortunately this brilliant plan failed when Kord instructed us to hide too close to the tower and we were spotted almost immediately by one of their patrols. Elven ranger prowess, ha! No wonder Cormanthor fell.

Seeing the trap close around us, once again Ulrick drew his weapon, shouted out something grandiosely silly and pious about Torm, and charged. Even now we hoped we might catch them off guard and press the attack to victory, but another barrage of magic missiles quickly shattered our hopes. Kord ran away almost immediately. Finally discouraged, Ulrick retreated as quickly as he could manage, and I followed him. Again.

Seeing a force coming away from the shrine to cut off our escape, we bypassed the shrine of Mystryl and retreated further into the West, not stopping for a day and a night.

And of course, it rained the entire evening. At least it put out the fires - the wand of fireballs that the Thayans sold seems to do a spectacular job of burning the landscape. Fortunately, I was firing them in the brush, not in the forests.

Ulrick and I were soon joined by Aron, who had either gotten himself very drunk, was a better liar than I had given him credit for - or had actually managed to persuade an archlich (one of those very rare good liches) that the situation warranted teleporting him to our location so he could rejoin our company. Again, Ulrick insisted that we could not abandon our quest (and I concurred), so we returned once again. This time we decided to attack the graveyard first. Unfortunately, we were spotted approaching the keep before we got within a hundred yards of our target, and once again the mages drew their wands, and (yet again!) a rain of magic missiles poured from the sky.

Suddenly it occured to me that our best way of getting into the keep was by allowing them to take us inside, so I feigned that a priest's spell had ensnared me, hoping they'd bring me inside for questioning, where I could catch them by surprise. Unfortunately, Ulrick, the big drooling lummox of a paladin - who was never quite as happy as when he had a chance to demonstrate that his code of honor as tight was as a virgin's belt - was determined that he would leave no one behind, so he grabbed me and pulled me out of the fray. So much for that plan. Once again, the barrage of magic missiles nearly killed Aron, and once again we escaped by the skin of our teeth.

We retreated back to the Cormanthyr road, where Kord once again joined us - he claimed he had been looking for us, though he had conveniently kept his distance from the keep.

So here we are again. And we realize that with everything at stake, we have no choice but to make a fourth attack on the tower. Ulrick's driven by his vision of the dracolich, Kord is driven by the need to preserve his precious elven artifacts (which, from their sheer elvishness, are so much more important than human), Aron's reasons are beyond the comprehension of even Ao and as for me, I cannot allow this undead filth to corrupt the Weave.

I'm girding myself with spells, and preparing for the inevitable. Again.

Doomed (but with love), Your Brother,
Ascarin Nevermoon

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
I never realized how tough PoR:Attack on Myth Drannor was.

I guess your DM is playing the D.Cultists rather well.
When's the next letter due?

Morte

Explorer
I was rather tickled to find this, since I've just started running a campaign based out of Suzail with the party getting involved in intrigue between two Cormyran noble families, one of them the Wyvernspurs who produced your Aron. To add to the parallels, in their last adventure the party tangled with the Cult of the Dragon in a newly unearthed Netherese ruin in the Dalelands.

It's also great fun to read. I very much like the author's style. Looking forward to more...

MulhorandSage

First Post
Broccli_Head said:
I never realized how tough PoR:Attack on Myth Drannor was.

I guess your DM is playing the D.Cultists rather well.
When's the next letter due?

It's a case where we'd just come out of a section of the campaign with a completely different style (the tragedy laden Cormyte political stuff) and we had problems getting back into "heroic" mode for the Myth Drannor stuff.

I'm about one write-up behind the current campaign date. It should be posted later this week.

Scott Bennie

Last edited:

MulhorandSage

First Post

25th day of Uktar, in the Year of the Standing Stone, 1372.
The tower of the Sammasterites, Within Spitting Distance of Myth Drannor

Dearest Sister,

I have heard that one only gets three opportunities to perform any task, and then it is gone forever. It seems a sensible policy to me, a way to cut failures out of life, like culling benighted grapes from a vat that could sour an entire vintage. But it feels rather different when that standard is applied to you, and it's you who stares at one's shortfalls in the face, and feel the spittle of thrice-failures like serpent venom in the eyes.

After our third attempt to take the citadel of the Sammasterites failed, we fled on foot. After a day's retreat, we regrouped at the road, this time at full strength.

"I'm ready to give up on this," Kord said. But he truly wasn't, for the alternative would be to return to Cormyr, where a substantial bounty was on his head for his murder of the farmhand (Ulrick had initially set a price five hundred crowns on him, which I, knowing he'd be insulted by such a small sum, raised to two thousand crowns). For some reason, this mattered little to Kord now - or he hid his feelings behind such a wall of sociopathy that even I could not glimpse at his true face. For now we were comrades, and the Sammasterites were the threat.

We marched northeast through a sharply cut passage in a moderately dense forest. Once, a dragon passed overhead in the distance, and we fell to our bellies, stayed still, and continued on our way after it was gone. Or maybe that happened during one of the earlier retreats - acts of cowardice (and common sense) become highly indistinguishable after awhile. But, to evoke a more heroic demeanor, courage lay ahead of us, not to mention mortal peril. At times, when the road climbed to a ridge and gave us a clearer view of our surroundings, the far more forebiding woods of Myth Drannor loomed in the distance. There can be found demon dens, dragon haunts, and the forlorn ruins of the elves whose great magic, the Mythal, became as twisted and ruined as the pride of fallen Karsus.

I think we must have been quite weary after so much running, for we made far less progress in a day's march approaching the keep than we did in our retreat. Kord informed us he would keep watch for the bulk of the night, boasting to us about how little sleep the elves required to remain sharp-witted, more proof of their race's superiority. His smugness has gotten quite insufferable. If I wasn't convinced that they'd lead us all into certain suicide, I'd wish a plague of dwarves upon him.

Night in the forest was uneasy - I got a vague sense of malevolence out of the shadows, as if the forest itself were angry at me for bringing fire to its borders during our previous assaults. In fact, during the night, a vine of poison ivy crept toward me during my sleep, but Kord roused me and I warded it away. That's a good thing, for itching and spellcasting do not make for a particularly good mix.

We discussed our battle tactics, which closely resembled the battle strategies of a tribe of naked enraged Damarans. Strike hard, take no backward steps, and kill, kill, kill. Ulrick was determined to make a hard charge directly for the front gate and stop for nothing. I must admit that while it lacked subtlety, this plan had the virtue of getting us into close proximity with our foe and allowing us to kill many Sammasterites as quickly as possible, providing us all with what's sure to be a most welcome catharis. The front gate, however, would not fall from wishful thinking alone. Ulrick proposed that he fell some trees and build a battering ram. We asked Ulrick if he had any experience whatsoever in constructing a battering ram out of a tree. The answer: no. Kord advised us against cutting down any trees near Myth Drannor, even a deadfall. It's one of the few times I've ever heard the elf make sense. Our backup plan was equally crude but likely to be more effective; we would proceed to the north side of the tower, where the cover of woods was thickest. Ulrick, Aron, and I would charge the door, Aron with greataxe in hand. The brutish Wyvernspur, despite prefering his flail, is certainly the strongest of our company and offers our best chance at chopping through the door. I will erect a mystic shield spell to ward away arcane bolts, while Ulrick prepares to charge as soon as an opening presents itself. Kord is to remain at the edge of the woods, under cover, and fire on anything that shoots at us from a tower window.

For once, we encountered no patrols, and the enemy received no warning until a forest shaking crack, courtesy of Aron's axe, struck the front gate. It's strong wood, and barred, but the huge Cormyte ripped through it like rotten timber with his very first stroke, not only cleaving through the wood but striking the metal and loosening the planks that holds a bar in place. Two more axe-strokes, which I could swear could be heard in Myth Drannor, rattled the gate and ripped at the planks. Selune must shining on the mad Wyvernspur, because it only took three strokes to open the passage.

It is usually an excellent thing to have strong and stupid friends.

Immediately, two guards attempted to fill the breach. Ulrick stepped forward, probably imagining that he shines more brightly than he does, and wielded his sword with consumate skill. Two guards quickly fell. He issued into the keep and Aron followed, discarding the axe for his beloved dire flail. I whispered an incantation and entered, beckoning Kord to come. I'm half-surprised when I see the elf sprinting across the breach to join us.

Ulrick turned into a guardroom and immediately confronted a wand-wielding mage. I leaned closer, hoping to overhear him recite the incantation of activation, but instead of proudly shouting it at the top of their lungs, as any mage in Sembia would, he whispered the words. I swear he did it just to annoy me.

Kord moved into a barrack room, while Aron searched several small storage chambers. A pair of stone staircases are stationed in the center of the room, one leading upward, the other downward. Aron made the mistake of standing in front of the upper stairs, and suddenly a hail of arcane bolts shot down the stairwell and connected with him squarely in the chest. I smiled, drew my wand, and imagined the smell of Sammasterite acolytes roasting in an open fireball.

Then that idiot of a knight charged up the stairs and ruined my brilliant design.

I called Ulrick, who's finished dispatching the pesky wizard, and warned him of Aron's predicament. He sighed noticeably. In the meantime, Kord was happily wandering through the backroom barracks, dispatching those who were unfortunate enough to be caught napping. I wonder if Ulrick realizes what the elf is doing in his spare time?

But it's Aron's plight that most concerns us. Ulrick made his best time up the stairs - magical boots, which allow him to charge without breaking his stride, he's almost as proud of them as he is of those damn wands - and arrived to find Aron surrounded by more foes than we've ever seen in one small space at one time: zombies, skeletons, guardsmen, necromancers and Sammasterite priests are all crowded into a hall and the only thing either of us can see is the host reacting to Aron's flail like ripples on a pond. Aron is quite the mighty lad, but Ulrick's power was more puissant. He removed his right gauntlet, an elaborate worked lattice of steel, and held it upright, in the same pose as the ironshod hand on the holy symbol of Torm. His body held itself with an inhuman firmness, a figure of divine resolve that bears little resemblance to the man I've seen shivering next to a campfire in the middle of a rainstorm, or bantering with mild baudiness with tavern wenches. It really is a thing to marvel at, that here, even in this desecrated dessicated hellhole of a tower, the god of duty is unwavering and can elevate his servants to such a remarkable degree.

Ulrick had become a thing of power. The steel gauntlet glowed, and the look in his eyes must be terrible to behold. "Back!" he said, firmly but without shouting. "The pit awaits for thee!" Then there was a sound like the cracking of a thousand timbers being shorn apart by some titanic thing, a giant who strides across the Battle of Bones and pays no heed to the cracking sound beneath his feet, and suddenly the skeletons collapse intod clouds of powder thick enough to choke upon. Their comrades, the shambling stupid undead, shrunk back and hid their decaying faces from the light of the most insufferably righteous of gods. Whom I'm glad stood with us today.

Of course, the priests were dismayed, if not outraged. To necromancers, skeletons are one part child, one part doting sweetheart, perfect in their obedience, the ideal toy. No wonder every necromancer I've ever met has been utterly lacking in the social graces. From their cloaks, the priests drew black maces with skeleton heads atop four black phalanges, and cried for paladin's blood. They're too angry to realize they're badly overmatched: too many rituals rot your brain. Aron (who exemplifies the same principle but with a different god), almost spent and bleeding from many wounds, took advantage of the opening that Ulrick has created and staggered backwards and propped his back against a wall, where he drew a healing potion from his belt and savored it like a drunkard who's been divorced too long from drink. That's fine. The lad has had his hour. Now time has become vengeance, for both the hour, and vengeance, was mine.

Barely visible behind shining Ulrick, I nonetheless had a clear view of several priests, who are concentrating on the glowing beacon of Torm's light that just spoiled the jubilation of their summoning. Good, I told myself, ignore the true threat to your little necromancer's paradise. I drew my hands together, spoke words of power, and felt that indescribable rapture that comes when one masters the thunder in one's hands. Three of their priests, craning their necks in a line to survey the extraordinary chaos of this fight, are scorched by my lightning, and two of them fall. I followed lightning with winter - Snilloc's Death, the doom of ice, that swarms and fells another two acolytes. By this time Kord, blood trickling down his sword and mixing with his forest green cloak in disturbing lines, has joined us, and charged for the surviving priests.

I'm not certain when the battle ends. I'm breathing too hard to notice, even though the one attempt to deal me a wound was deflected harmlessly off my arcane shield. The true threat was elsewhere.

Kord playedtracking games with the chief priest, who was slowly and cautiously being backed into a corner. Realizing that his best spells were useless against the elf's quick thrusts, he drews a wand and aimed several arcane bolts at the elf. Kord countered skillfully, and finally felled the necromancer with a quick thrust to the chest. Then the dying prelate screamed, and treated me to one of the most grotesque sights I've ever witnessed. The moment that the priest died, he exploded in a swarm of maggots that attempted to engulf his killer. The elf briefly managed to ward them away, then they encircled him and fell upon his flesh like locust on a grain field. Maggots must like the taste of fresh elf, as Kord quickly falls.

Realizing that the elf's death was imminent - and recognizing the maggot swarm as a simple summoning that was cloaked in a magician's trick - I cast a counterspell. I immediately realized that I'm facing a very powerful enchantment - the high priest's work, I'd guess - but I managed to overcome it. Then Aron dragged Kord over to our glorious leader, where he expended close to the entire contents of a single healing wand nursing the hurts of the twain.

"I'm surprised you haven't evoked your... what is it called... mirror images?" Aron remarked.

"The true connoisseur of magic calls them dweomermirrors," I replied, wondering why I'm wasting my breath correcting him.

I took a moment to inspect the room's stonework, which is well-fitted but otherwise unremarkable. We proceeded to search several chambers, leaving the collection of treasure for a later time. We discovered a chamber full of Sammasterite propaganda, roughly drawn tracts, stack upon stack of dirges and odes to the glory of moving bone without the prison of flesh. It took a major effort for me to resist burning them. We climbed to the third level of the tower, where we found the door to the fourth level is magically barred. Unfortunately I didn't have the spells to effectively counter its dweomer (which is a source of irritating banter and ridicule from my comrades). One door was barred by a lesser glyph, which Ulrick did not hesitate the walk through. He survived the flash of lightning to open up a lavish bedchamber, including a huge, fat badger plopped on a pillow.

It occured to us immediately that the animal is a familiar and thus a target of opportunity, but Kord kept us away and spoke to it in gnomish. It knew depressingly little about the tower, but as far as Kord's concerned, it's a pleasant conversationalist. Inspecting the room for magic, I discovered an enchanted tapestry on the east wall and a magical painting behind it. Alas, even Aron, though his arms are larger than most men's thighs and the envy of even a diligent blacksmith, is not strong enough to pry the painting from the wall.

"Must be magic," Aron said, stating the obvious.

Ulrick turned his attention to a far door. Opening it, we came into the main chamber of the third level - which was occupied by a swarm of zombies and several men wearing the livery of the Sammasterites, and one man with a pointed hat adorned with a dragon's skull.

The high priest has arrived.

Must dash,

Ascarin

Last edited:

MulhorandSage

First Post
Broccli_Head said:
Wonderful letter, MS!

How do they get to your sister all the way in Sembia anyway?

Weasel Express. It's how I keep Willhih out of harm's way. :)

It's a framing device; the parts involving the sister are entirely my invention. Though I wouldn't put it past my DM to one day use them against me. :)

Scott Bennie

MulhorandSage

First Post
Just a slight clarification, Broc.

Thanks to your question, the DM has ruled that Ascarin and his sister both possess "Magic Tablets" to transmit letters between each other. I don't have a ruling from the DM on the exact specifics, but I'd suggest creating an object with the following properties:

Sembian Stêlôsis
Despite the name, this item actually originated in ancient Chondath, where it was used by bureaucrats to pass imperial documents between each other and maintain official sanction - and for spies to pass messages between each other without being scryed.

The Stêlôsis is a frame of metal, into which one places sheets of parchment or (originally) a clay tablet. Once per day, a writer can give a verbal command end magically send whatever's written on the page from one Stêlôsis to another; the writing vanishes from the parchment and appears instantly on a piece of parchment that's been placed into the other Stêlôsis. The writing remains on the other parchment until it is read aloud, then it vanishes. Only one message may be sent per day.

The message cannot be longer than 2,500 words and must be written letters: pictures and maps are not transmitted between the two Stêlôsis. Every Stêlôsis has a mate, and only the two Stêlôsis can communicate with each other; a person cannot write to another Stêlôsis except to the one that's mated to it. As a consequence, both Stêlôsis must be created at the same time and "mated" as part of the creation process. Only two Stêlôsis may be mated. If one is destroyed, the other becomes useless.

Significant transcription errors may crop up when the two Stêlôsis are more than seven hundred miles apart, and the devices cease to function beyond a range of twelve hundred miles.

Caster Level: 14th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, sending, vanish; Market Price: 36,400 gp; Weight: 1 lb.

Scott Bennie
----
Coming in April, Testament, the game of Biblical role-playing by Green Ronin.

Last edited:

MulhorandSage

First Post

26th day of Uktar, in the Year of the Standing Stone, 1372.
A tomb of a mad elf, not far from Myth Drannor

Dearest Sister,

We were inside the high priest's quarters in the tower of the Sammasterites, trapped like rats on third floor of that imposing structure. A bodyguard of nearly a dozen skeletons and shambling undead abominations surrounded the room, not to mention the high priest and his (living) bodyguard. The stench of rotting bodies had filled the tower like a charnal-house and I was so sick of that cursed smell that I wanted to raze the tower, storey by storey, stone by stone, until its foundations were naked to the sky, a rotting leprous pox on the margins of Myth Drannor, a wound left for the forest to cleanse if it could.

But much work needed to be done before I could realize that goal. Fortunately, my compatriots had become something to be reckoned with. Now it was the Wyvernspur's hour: a figure of beefy heroism with a slightly goofy grin, Aron strode ahead, flail drawn, rushing to the attack. "Hold back!" Ulrick (who never seems to appreciate the same dumb heroism in others that is found in such abundant quantities within himself) shouted a loud warning cry at his countryman. Unfortunately, Aron's idea of "holding back" is to take one unfortunate step into the abyss instead of two. On better days, it's almost entertaining.

I sigh and survey the entry chamber, which is a clutter of thrashing bodies engaged in melee. With Ulrick and Aron pressing ahead of me and blocking the door with their broad, six foot four inch frames - and one of them wielding a dire flail with such reckless abandon that it's an act of divine providence that he hasn't taken out my eye yet - picking an appropriate target is an act of utter futility. But then I catch a glimpse of the high priest, and even from a distance there's a look of madness on his face that makes me just want to smite him, so I grip the wand of fireballs and begin to move it into position.

"Do it!" says Aron. Surprisingly, he took a quick second to look backward, and realizing he'll be caught in the flames, instructed me to perform a tactic for the betterment of the group. Such a sturdy, stupid lad. I raise my wand, and with a slight smile, shout the command word.

(As an aside, sister: let it be known that I will have none of this "I'll whisper the command word because I'm paranoid that I'm going to die and I want to make sure the enemy has to waste a divine the properties spell to wrest the command word" tripe. I am a Sembian, a real mage, and if they want this wand, these festering, corrupt, besotted, dead-flesh-kissing pieces of swill, they're welcome to pry it from my cold dead fingers!)

In answer to the incantation, a spark of fire leaps from the tip of the wand, and a fireball encompasses the room.

Aron's at the edge of the blaze and I'm hoping the lad can take a quick step back to avoid it - but alas, girded by his heavy mail, which somewhat resembles a skinned dragon plated with extra bits of steel to provide additional encumbrance, he reacts just a second too late. The fireball catches him squarely, and he burns too. But the fortune of both Tymora and Selune shine on him - he'll live. Aron does take a step back, and I station myself to loose a second orb of flaming death into the undead host - and then the priest gives me the evil eye, makes a quick gesture, and suddenly I'm held in place as surely as I were encased in stone.

I hate that spell.

I'm forced to watch the rest of the battle in silence. The priest, who was burnt badly, swallows a potion to heal his injuries. "Hey!" Kord objected. "He's drinking the treasure!" I'm too busy worried about our survival to care.

Ulrick cut down the bodyguard, a burly fellow who's wielding a bastard sword in two hands, and motioned at the priest to prepare for battle. The arch-Sammasterite responded by touching the burly corpse and bringing him back to life. The bodyguard had a sickly smile on his face (not dissimilar to Aron's when he's drunk), and rose from the ground, sword in hand, shouting "Praise to the Dragon!"

"Death to the dragon!" Ulrick growled back, and he dismembered the bodyguard a second time with three swift strokes.

The high priest looked on his crumpled guard with an aghast expression on his bloated face. With his undead legions scattered around them - it must seem like he's witnessing the fall of his personal empire. "Curse you!" he snarled at Ulrick. "May death follow you where you go!" As far as curses go against paladins, it's hard to think of one that's less self-fulfilling (and thus meaningless). The priest tried to run past Aron and Ulrick and touch me with a death spell while I'm still magically ensnared, but Aron's flail caught him in the back of the skull as he runs past. The priest collapsed into a bloodied, crumpled, dead heap on the ground.

Give my regards to Sammaster, you perversion of the glorious arcane.

It took about a minute for my eyes jerk in their sockets, the first sign that the priest's spell has worn off. It left me with a stiff, arthritic feeling in every muscle. I felt like walking over to his body and spitting on it - but Kord's already gone over to a hatch and pried open a trap door that leads to the roof. Hoping there were no further glyphs or other surprises in store for us, we hoisted ourselves through the opening and found a large altar set in the high place. And here I thought necromancers would perform this grisly ritual underground, in a charnal pit closer to the Hell that empowers them! Prone on the altar, a small figure struggled in his bonds - it's a gnome, the same one we were warned was being held prisoner here - and Tarbash, the gnome we had met earlier in the woods, was perched upon the large stone slab, precariously balanced, straining like a mad thing with nimble gnomish fingers to pry apart the constraints that bind his comrade. It was a sight of such devotion that it breathed even upon the faint embers of my compassion, not a quality I'm known for. But Ulrick who must (of course) be the principle player of this great drama, set things aright the moment he first beheld the gnome's plight. Raising his hallowed blade so the sun, which bore down upon us with its full midsummer's wrath, briefly alit this bloodied rock of the Sammasterites, he let the steel fly, and the gnome's bonds were broken. The freed forestling nearly crumpled; he cradled his rope-burnt wrists and wrestled with a mingling of gratitude and pain. "Thank you!" he said - repeatedly - even to me. I must confess that the sound of gratitude, so rarely offered when I deserve it, is honey to my ears. Tarbash could not keep himself from performing a short gnomish dance. So this was victory? Who'd have thought it.

Kord craned his long elvish neck (the one I thought was perfectly suited for decapitation after the farmboy incident) and briefly surveyed the lands surrounding the tower, the despoiled elven crypts and burial grounds, and determined that none of the Sammasterite troops stationed outside the keep have spotted us yet. Good, we still have time. They probably won't return to the tower until nightfall, which (in high summer) is still ten hours hence. We can probably take a (guarded) breath.

I looked down on the priest's body and sneered, wondering what his precious Dragon had in store for him now. But it's another dragon - a purple one (or one who ought to be) - who determined the corpse's fate. Ulrick lifted up the priest's limp body, and clove his head from his shoulders with a vicious stroke. Then he did the same to his bodyguard, and finally stuck their heads on spears so they could be placed outside the keep.

"My, we are a vicious little paladin, aren't we?" I smiled at Ulrick.

"These people performed human sacrifices," Ulrick was visibly trembling when he spake the words. "I am giving them a taste of their own cursed medicine. And I hope they choke on it."

I cannot argue with the sentiment - though I would regret it greatly if Ulrick fell into blackguarddom, for he'd far more dangerous to control - but the more practical side of me would rather gather up these misbegotten swine into a pile and make a pyre out of them so that no necromancer could ever be able to turn them into undead.

Kord moaned that we should not tarry, but there was a time for spoils, and that time was now. So, ignoring the elf's pleas, I began to rummage through the high priest's drawers, while Aron struggled with that magical painting. He placed his fingers around the frame and we heard a "click!", but the painting still wouldn't budge. The dire badger, comfortably arraigned in princely fashion on his dire badger-sized cushion, laughed at Aron's attempts - yes, sister, we now have definitive proof that Aron's intelligence is less than that of a large forest creature. Kord, still upset that we haven't secured our position - acting more like an elven general instead of an elven wood-sneak - conversed with the badger, who informed us that by simply moving your fingers around the frame from top to bottom, you can open a small vault. We followed his instructions, and discovered the priest's hidden treasure store, in which a glowing page, written in Old Elvish, was secured. Within the drawers, I found the high priest's journal. I quickly leafed through it, but I did not have the time to give it an adequate amount of study. More pleasingly, I discovered the cult's spellbook, with numerous spells (unfortunately, most of them are the necromantic variety - not that, by Azuth, I scoff at knowledge, but the spells prized by the Sammasterites hold less fascination to me than those that evoke greater powers than simple mockeries of life).

Ransacking a level at a time, we returned to the lower levels. Kord insisted on taking the badger with us, and the badger won't budge without his cushion. Guess who, in addition to his heavy pack, must now carry a giant badger cushion on his back? I swear sister, that if you mention this to our family, I will plot a sweet revenge.

At the doorway, Kord decided to leave caltrops, small spikes, in the shadow of the gate. We also removed the wreckage of the door so that anyone who observed the keep will think that the door has been left open by its denizens, not hacked to bits by an invader. Once we did that, Ulrick urged us to descend down the stairs into the unexplored depths of the tower. This time Aron led the way.

The stairs were a tight, narrow winding spiral, irregularly spaced and awkwardly uneven, more likely by design than by weathering, for the dwarves wrought them. The summer air, still as a dead body that's chained to a rock and rotting in the sun, cultivated the dust that rises into our dry mouths like some sort of funerary crop. I'm still annoyed that I succumbed to the priest's holding spell, in addition to the other injuries I suffered in the three previous attacks on the tower. Severed heads on spear points, offered like love tokens to flocks of local carrion, may not be enough to assuage my hate.

Aron arrived at a landing, and we investigated a series of empty kitchens, storage rooms, and a single empty cell, which probably housed Tarbash's friend. Aron opened a chamber which reeks of death, a necromancer's paradise where a skull with a steel crown hovered in mid-air. But when Aron entered the chamber to get a closer, better look, a host of zombies rose from the ground and attacked him.

Ulrick quickly took stock of the situation and determined that Aron was quite capable of handling a small host of zombies, though the big Cormyte fluttered about, debating whether he should employ the greataxe or the flail. I moved closer to investigate when suddenly a unexplored locked door opened beside me, and I found myself face to face with a necromancer and his skeleton-guard, one of whom sliced my right arm with a swift scimitar stroke. Howling, I retreated, while Ulrick moved in, and I did my best to stammer through my pain and inform Kord about the situation. Ulrick took several volleys of arcane bolts from the necromancer (does every mage in this miserable tower have one of those wands?), was badly wounded, and retreated. Kord moved into his place, but Ulrick, whose retreat was only temporary, was a little late in returning to his assigned place, and Kord is hard-pressed. Gradually the skeleton-guard is reduced, and Kord waded over the once animated corpses in a quest for necromancer's blood. Pressed against the wall, the necromancer sent out a whispering wind, calling for assistance from remote quarters. Hopefully he called the high priest in Hell.

With Ulrick and Kord engaged against the necromancer, I turned to assist Aron. The mighty boy was hewing zombies left and right, but they were managing to get in enough blows to slowly wear him down. Realizing he needed support, I raised my wand, shouted the word of command, and the zombies burned. I felt exuberant, but that's when I turned around and found a dark-cloaked figure trying to impale my back with a skillful short sword thrust. The whispering wind had been answered. A patrol of blackcloaks and blackguards had hurried back to the keep and joined the fracas. Unfortunately, with Kord and Ulrick busy against the necromancer, I'm left almost alone against this assault - and given a choice of targets between a mage and a man with a big flail, the mage is invariably the target.

Quickly I surrounded myself with dweomermirrors and retreated. I have no offensive magicks capable of dealing with this horde - I'm not about to start casting fireballs into such a tight space - so I bolstered myself with a haste spell, drew my dagger and launched futile attacks against my enemies. The mirrors lasted only a few scant seconds before they're shattered, though the spell saved my life - one armored brute clove an image with such a perfect blow that I would have died, had it actually marked my skull with equal vigor. Aron, finally free of the undead horde, interposed himself between me and my attackers as best as he could, but unfortunately when one is willing to risk being hacked apart just to rid the world of the magnificence that is Ascarin Nevermoon, there is not much a protector can do except to grit one's teeth and hope that your best intentions translates into better results. The Wyvernspur's dire flail smashed one of my attackers' skulls and dropped him to his face with an accompaniment of crimson spray, but the second attacker caught me squarely in the ribs with a sword thrust. That when everything went red, the world seemed to slide around me, and I, propped desperately against the wall in a futile posture of defense, began a slow, painful - dying - descent to the dungeon floor, and I was left to wonder how many breaths I had left to take.

####

Of course it does not end there, sister, but rarely have I passed up an opportunity to take my life and give it an evil twist, so I shall end this letter here, and leave you waiting on the particulars of my fate. The matter of Pellendaryll, and how I passed from the tower of the Sammasterites into the tomb of a mad elf (and the difficult matter of the disposition of lost loreworks obtained from the hunting elf) shall await my next correspondence. My will, like my blood, is spent this day.

Still alive (barely), with love,

Your brother Ascarin

Last edited:

Remove ads