• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cosmic & Storm Sorcerers: EPIC FAIL!

Oni

First Post
I don't have a real big problem with their choice of stats for the new builds. I am annoyed that a genasi makes a better cosmic/dragon sorcerer than a storm sorcerer, though.

Of course that's more a of problem with the Genasi mechanics than the sorcerers. I really don't think their stat allotments make sense. I think they should have varied by elemental type much as the shifters vary by type, but instead they just slapped the stat allotment on them that went with Swordmage because they happened to be in the same book.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I guess it is pretty easy to house-rule for a DM (although if you are a player and the DM doesn't agree, then I guess you are out of luck).

Personally I would have liked Str for Storm and Int for Cosmic sorcerers and gone with that.

chaotix42

First Post
Of course that's more a of problem with the Genasi mechanics than the sorcerers. I really don't think their stat allotments make sense. I think they should have varied by elemental type much as the shifters vary by type, but instead they just slapped the stat allotment on them that went with Swordmage because they happened to be in the same book.

Agreed, sadly.

Ah well, a cosmic sorcerer fire genasi with a sun fetish would be fun, I think.

Mad Mac

First Post
It's hard to connect Strength or Dex to Cosmic really, and I don't think they wanted to gives Sorc's a non-physical secondary stat. It doesn't bother me that much though. At least I can make a super-strong Sorc who yells "Cosmic Crush!" before kicking someone through a wall or something.

I do think the earlier point about Sorcerers not being reedy book-learning types being important though. An intelligence based Sorc would look extremely weird next to the existing "no nerds allowed" Sorcerer builds.

Nymrohd

First Post
I've already changed the stats myself for several class builts. It rarely creates any issue (other than the occasional feat).

fissionessence

First Post
I was thinking/expecting that Cosmic would be Intelligence and Storm would be Wisdom for more stat variation, and allowing different builds of sorcerer to appeal to different races.

Since they apparently didn't want to move from Str/Dex, I agree with the OP that Cosmic feels more Dex and Storm feels more Str. However, some of the posts above have helped convince me that the WotC version isn't a total epic fail (though, like the OP, I considered it to be so prior to reading this thread).

~ fissionessence

Klaus

First Post
Its epic fail because I'd love to play a cosmic, but can't reconcile it with Charles Atlas Strength...

...and it gets people to read the thread. ;)
Charlie Atlas? No.

But Atlas, holding up the cosmos?

atlas2.jpg

Sure enough.

Think of the tremendous amount of energy a sorceror would need to move cosmic power even a tenth of an inch. Picture a cosmic sorceror straining to pull out the energy for a spell, like he's literally ripping open a tear in the fabric of space.

As for Storm being Dex-based, I suspect that's because of the Raging Storm feat. Something about Lightning Reflexes, Zephyrus, Boreas and...

flash_rebirth.jpg

Remathilis

Legend
Klaus, your artistic eye never fails.

That's the best argument I've heard so far for cosmicerors being strong a stormcereors being dex.

Remove ads