Costs of item creation?

Vhane

First Post
Playing my first Wizard in 3e from the ground up. In two levels Ill be able to take Craft Wonderous Item, and I've started plotting a few utiliterian items for myself and the rest of the party. So heres the quandry.

Mystical dohicky:
1/week use of a 2nd level wizard spell as cast by 3rd level caster with a command word

GP cost according to Tome and Blood: 2x3x1800 divided by 5/(1/7) or 10800/35 = 308gps

More complex dohicky a sort of super dohicky:

3 powers usable 1/week each all of which have a consistant theme, also 2nd level at 3rd casting level.

GP value 308+ (308x.75) + (308x.5)= 693 gps

Am I messing this up or is this just plain cheap. One could create alot of 1/week talismans and trinkets for nearly nothing. An item of this sort usable once per week is much better than scrolls, or potions. 308 gps comes out to 12xps. The limiting factor appears to be how big of a sack do you need to carry your tokens, key fobs, lucky coins etc.

A little more perspective 9th level spell at 17th Caster level, 1/week 7868 gps and 315 xps

scoll 1 use same stats 3825 gps and 153 xps or about half the cost the savings just doesn't seam worth it.

Last edited:

Geoff Watson

First Post
I would rule that 1/week items would be only a bit cheaper than 1/day items; no less than half. Depends on what spells are in the doohickey as well.

Geoff.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
You really need to talk this over with your GM since the formulas for item creation are just approximations and it REALLY depends upon what spell you use. They take some judgement to get values that work. For anyone on this board to give you a value, you would have to be way more precise on what your are trying to make.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
I would rule that 1/week items would be only a bit cheaper than 1/day items; no less than half. Depends on what spells are in the doohickey as well.

I agree with the general sentiments.

If you slavishly follow the formula you could make a once per 24 days command item usable by anyone with no AoO or concentration check for the same price as a scroll. That would be inappropriate.

Remove ads