• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could a whip be used to deal bludgeoning damage?

Tuzenbach

First Post
Not the 2 lb. whip cited in the PHB, but a *special* whip. What if a whip were twice the normal whip thickness, 10 times the weight, and had one steel ring around every one-inch segment of the weapon? I guess I'm trying to create something with the heft and force of the chain, but with the flexibility of the whip. Am I silly for attempting?

Dmitr

First Post
...Why not use a chain? If you make a whip "twice the normal whip thickness, 10 times the weight, and had one steel ring around every one-inch segment" it wouldn't be flexible like a whip. A chain, on the other hand, is actually quite flexible...

Khaalis

Adventurer
I would have to say that even a whip as you describe would still not do bludgeoning damage. A whip, when used to cause injury (instead of to entangle) is actually a slashing weapon. The movement and the design of the whip do not lend to bludgeoning damage. You are better off just using a chain, which, as mentioned by Dmitr is very flexible.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Did I say *flexible*? I suppose I meant *easily manipulated by it's wielder*. As they are, a whip (IMHO) is far more controllable than a chain.

The vision I'm getting is of a hobgoblin character with very high strength imploying an overhand maneuver with the whip (a very heavy, steel reinforced whip) and thus utilizing gravity and the whip's weight to bring the thing down, crushing enemies. I'm just sick of all the stereotypical "fighter with massive strength and greatsword/axe". I'm going for something new and inventive and the chain just doesn't do it for me. I supposes I'm trying to invent a new weapon all-together.

You certainly can, in the game. I had a villain once with a feat called Battering Blow that let you bull rush opponents with your whip. Sure, you can't logically deliver enough force with a whip to send someone flying 20 ft., but it sure looks cool.

It sounds a bit more like a large flail, actually. A flail is a chained weapon that can be used to grab things, but that has a heavy head, whereas a whip is a leather weapon that can be used to grab things, and can only really hurt someone if you crack it, cutting flesh with the tip. I suppose you could just whirl a whip overhead and smack someone in the face with it, but that'd be like hitting someone in the face with a rope. You'd have to swing it very hard to do any damage. I'd say, with a normal whip, that would only do 1 damage plus Str. A small whip would deal a base of 0 damage, plus Str.

Actually, in my mind, a proficient whip wielder ought to be able to hurt people in more ways than just cracking their skin. You could wrap the whip around someone's arm and yank, straining the joint. You could toss things at them with the whip (I read an account of Australian cowboys who can use whips to pluck lizards off the ground, then snap them in half while they're in the air). You could strangle them.

I really don't see why, if a shuriken is able to deal damage to someone in full plate, why a whip can't. Whips can tear through the hide of cows, so it should do more than just bruise an unarmored human. Whips should do lethal damage against unarmored foes, and nonlethal to everyone else.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Hey RangerWickett, I'm glad I'm not the only one speaking my language!

;~D

Yeah, conceptually, it would be a bit like the flail. However, instead of being 5 feet long and having a head on the end it would be 15 feet long and headless. Persons within 5 foot range could be bashed, while those in the 6-15 foot range would be subject to the trips and all.

There's still a lot to work out. Think of a normal whip but twice the thinkness and covered in banded mail.

And yes, the 3.0/3.5 damage rules for the whip completely suck!

someonebored

First Post
A metal whip

A whip that had a metal ring around every milimeter or so could function like a regular whip in most respects. It'd certainly be an exotic weapon, and it would cost alot but I can see it working out. And since you want something to smash things with I can't see you caring about the loss in flexability. I don't know if you'd be using this two handed or not, but if so what you are probably looking for is a large Kau Sin Ke, from Oriental Adventures. It's basically a 6 foot long line of bars with business end that looks like a mace, that's held together by a chain that runs all the way through the center of the bars to allow for limited flexability. In real life, the 'whipping chain' was used by very acrobatic martial artists, but it doesn't have to be. If you make it twelve feet long, allow it to be used as a reach weapon and close up weapon with two hands that does 1d10 or 1d12 but can't trip, I think you've got yourself your whip.

Remove ads