• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Could the Mage classes special thing be signature magic?

In trying to think of what the common theme special mechanics the Mage classes: Wizard, Sorcerer and Warlock might get. One possibility could be Signature Magic or signature spells. Maybe not necessarily the high level Wizards version (which rarely would see play) of that where some spells can be cast at will. But something similar in concept where spells possibly specific ones, can be cast more often or are enhanced in some way.

mellored

Legend
Depends on the spell.
Pyromancer casting burning hands at-will will work just fine.
But life Cleric probably shouldn't casting cure wound at-will.

But overall, it's a decent way to make sub-classes feel different.
I just don't think it should be the only way. Blade singers for instance, probably shouldn't get any as hitting things with a sword is their specialty.

Horwath

Legend
Depends on the spell.
Pyromancer casting burning hands at-will will work just fine.
But life Cleric probably shouldn't casting cure wound at-will.

But overall, it's a decent way to make sub-classes feel different.
I just don't think it should be the only way. Blade singers for instance, probably shouldn't get any as hitting things with a sword is their specialty.
1st level Cure wounds could work at-will with some limitation.

With casting of this spell with this feature, target cannot be healed above 50% of max HPs.
This would be like 3.5e reserve feat, Touch of healing.

When we decided to make cantrips at-will in 3.5eas house rule, we limited Cure minor wounds cantrip that it can only heal to 1 HP, no higher. Worked great.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I would love a toolset to award mage characters a unique spell. Strong guidelines on the kinds of things a unique spell could do, levels for that spell, etc...

Remove ads