• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could you make a Christian-oriented RPG?

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
In my campaign world, Christianity is one of the major religions. All I had to do was say so, and that was that. No challenge, no big deal."Christian clerics may choose any domain that does not conflict with their alignment. The cleric class may be lawful good, neutral good, or chaotic good." Apply the same restrictions to the ranger and the druid, rename the druid to mystic, friar, abbot, or whatever, and leave the paladin be.

RE: magic, in my world, needed special treatment like any other campaign world that comes up with its own explaination for magic. Since I run a steampunk/swashbuckling world, I wanted an explaination that fit the 1790s science lingo, so I came up with a new fundamental force that permeated the world, the Supernatural Force, analogous to the Gravitational or Electromagnetic Forces. Instead of magic being a manipulation of some distant planar energy, or even mysterious "natural energies," it's simply a propery of the universe I game in. To a native of this dimension, "God made things that way."

It is perfectly acceptable to create a fantasy world where magic is not evil; GURPS Fantasy's world of Yerth took a nice approach, but in that world, Christians from the real world get beamed to a world of magic and have to adapt. I would contend that in a world where magic is part of nature, the Christan religion that evolved on such a world would simply carry a different dogma regarding magic. Wizards and sorcerers can be good or evil; the ones you have to watch out for are the ones consorting with demons and false gods. The Bible in such a world would specifically condemn black magic, faithfully relate the stories of the prophet's miracles, and probably be largely neutral with regard to good applications of supernatural force.

Now, in my campaign there are two routes to magic, the internal manipulation of supernatural force, and an external power granted from another entity. Magic can be channeled internally through the mind, body, or spirit, resulting in either psionics, chi, or wizardry, and it's no more evil than a wire channeling electric current. External ability is practiced by divine miracle-workers, and by sorcerers.

The divine miracle workers (cleric, paladin, ranger, and my druid replacement, the mystic) recieve their powers from God. They're about as common in my campaign world as the Istari to Middle-Earth... well, more like prophets and saints in the real world. Most ordained ministers are experts (for theologians) or warriors (for crusaders). The adpet class would represent a faith-healer with little church training, or someone who was not ordained.

Sorcerers presented an interesting challenge, but I knew what I wanted to work with here. First off, for good sorcerers, I wanted to inject a little Middle-Earth flavor; Gandalf was an angellic spirit in disguise. "Wizards" in that world worked divine spells of a sort. With that in mind, I created the idea of three types of sorcerers, who recieved arcane spells from higher spirits ("sorcery" in the original, and Biblical definition I might add, means consorting with spirits. A summoner/conjurer is a sorcer archetype). Good sorcerers, or magi, recieve power from an angellic agent in exchange for a vow to fight evil. Neutral sorcerers, called druids in my world, make bargains with powerful fey for their spells. Evil sorcerers, the warlocks, sell their souls for magic. Warlocks totally replace evil clerics in my world, so they can access either the wizard or the cleric spell list (but not both at once, sort of like OA sorcerers and the wizard/wu jen dichotomy). As an added flavor bonus, sorcerers recieve one cleric domain, depending their patron spirit.

smetzger

Explorer
cthuluftaghn said:
Anyway, we had touched on the idea of a strictly Bible-based RPG. ...

However, we ditched the idea for a couple of reasons. First, we are serious about our beliefs. We want our relationship with God to remain true and REAL, and not only exist in make-believe. Second, it's too easy to cross the line into blasphemy when putting God into the mix. Not "a god"... but God.

Yeah, thats pretty much how I feel. However, I also feel that it is my responsibility as a Christian DM to run a game that supports Christian values (the way a show like, e.g., _The West Wing_ supports liberal Democrat values, and _JAG_ supports military values, and _Will & Grace_ supports secular establishment values).

Larry Fitz

First Post
Judeo-Christian biblical references abound in D&D. The most recognizable examples can be found in many of the spells that were created for Clerics in 1E. Spells like Resurrrection, Raise Dead, Sticks to Snakes, Create Food and Water, Cure Disease, Insect Plague, Remove Blindness and the various Cure wounds spells are all derived from biblical examples (largely Jesus and Moses). Paladins are based are the character of Launcelot du Lac, a christian Arthurian hero, who laid his hands upon a fallen foe and cured him of his injuries, and also Sir Galahad , who was pure of heart enough to find the Holy Grail. The problem of having a Christian based D&D campaign does not come in whether D&D lends itself to Christian values, it is at least partially based on those values. The real problems arise in who you choose as the bad guys for your players. Once you introduce real religions into your game, it is incumbent on the DM to make some value judgements that may be offensive to either your players or even the DM himself. if you have Wiccan players and decide to make druids even more akin to Wicca then they already appear, and make them the bad guys, then you risk offending those players. Even if you don't you are still belittling a real religion. What about making Moors or Roman polytheists the "bad guys"? The breadth of source material for players to use to "rules lawyer" you on the various stances of real religions is staggering. The problem with playing games that involve real religions is that the tradeoff of realism for entertainment value (IMO) is deficient. It'a also way too easy to offend someone OOG with your IG interpretation of religious dogma. Particularly since you can create a monotheistic world with a set of beliefs that you can tailor to the campaign you wish to run, and call all the main religious figures by different names. That way you avoid players hitting you with "but in Leviticus it says this" or "The Koran says something different than that". Maybe it's just me, but I don't like to taint my fantasy too much with the real world that way...

buzz

Adventurer
Suffering witches

mythago said:
Um. It is a Bad Idea to use a modern English dictionary to determine the original meaning of an ancient Hebrew term.

I'll jump on the pedant wagon...

Not to mention, the more common translation of the line Bob quoted is "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." It's also sometimes translated as "poisoner."

I'd tend to go towards the "witch" translation, becasue oodles of the Bible are aimed at getting people to turn their backs on the Goddess religions practiced in the Near East and Mediterranean. "Witch" and "whore" is often simply a code-word for "priestess".

Yeah, I've been reading Merlin Stone lately. :)

JPL

Adventurer
mythago said:
As long as I'm being a pedant, there's also no such thing as "Judeo-Christian."

Harrumph.

Please explain.

'Cause I'd tend to think that anything which is common to both Judaism and Christianity could be called "Judeo-Christian."

A big part of the Bible. The front part, as I recall.

Of course, as a lawyer, I can't actually touch a Bible without the horrible pain...

Last edited:

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Let's jump off the pedant wagon for a bit, 'kay?

I hear there's a pedant wagon scheduled to arrive at Nutkinland, and another one at ShipOfFools. Both are excellent wagons with nice padded seats.

buzz

Adventurer
Alignment?

My question is: How would you handle alignment in a "Christian" D&D game?

What alignment is the Christian god? Is it the same alingment as Christ? As Mary? What about (if they exist in your campaign) angels and saints?

"Realistically," I might think that Lawful Neutral would fit best, but if this is all part of a very chivalric campaign, Lawful Good would seem the obvious choice.

And, are the Jewish and Islamic faiths separate religions with their own gods? I.e., are God, Allah, and Yahweh one in the same, or separate? Is one the "goodguy" while the others are "badguys"? What about pagan faiths? Are, say, druids "evil"?

Which all really begs the question: Is Christianity merely one faith among many, or is it THE faith in the campaign?

E.g., what happens when a Christian Paladin meets a Muslim Paladin? Can they smite each other? Will they detect each other as "evil"? If not, what happens when they realize this? I'd imagine you woudn't see many paladins going on crusades...

FYI, one might want to check out Ars Magica and Pendragon for some ideas about all this.

JPL

Adventurer
Re: Alignment?

buzz said:
My question is: How would you handle alignment in a "Christian" D&D game?

What alignment is the Christian god? Is it the same alingment as Christ? As Mary? What about (if they exist in your campaign) angels and saints?

"Realistically," I might think that Lawful Neutral would fit best, but if this is all part of a very chivalric campaign, Lawful Good would seem the obvious choice.

And, are the Jewish and Islamic faiths separate religions with their own gods? I.e., are God, Allah, and Yahweh one in the same, or separate? Is one the "goodguy" while the others are "badguys"? What about pagan faiths? Are, say, druids "evil"?

Which all really begs the question: Is Christianity merely one faith among many, or is it THE faith in the campaign?

E.g., what happens when a Christian Paladin meets a Muslim Paladin? Can they smite each other? Will they detect each other as "evil"? If not, what happens when they realize this? I'd imagine you woudn't see many paladins going on crusades...

FYI, one might want to check out Ars Magica and Pendragon for some ideas about all this.

Two types of Christian campaigns, I think:

There's a "Christian" campaign in the sense that Christ and God and all of the associated trappings exist in some form, but not necessarily as presented in the Bible [Demon: The Fallen, for example]...then pick whatever alignment you want. Lawful Neutral is a likely candidate if you want God as kind of orderly and repressive and "Old Testament".

But if we mean "Christian" in the sense of "the Bible is right" --- then God is unquestionably Lawful Good. There is no real chaos in God's universe --- even Satan and Hell are part of His great plan. And God is not only good --- He is the source of all goodness.

Clerical magic poses a problem in Christian D&D games. The choices:

1. Other faiths are also granted clerical spells --- but these "false gods" are actually demons.

2. Only Christians [or even specific types of Christians] get divine magic. It makes the Crusades pretty freaking easy if you do it this way...

3. All true believers [or maybe anyone who is Lawful Good, including virtuous pagans] can work miracles. Catholics, heretics, rabbis, and Muslims. God moves in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads