• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Count of Monte Cristo PrC

Lizard Lips

First Post
One of my players is trying to make a Prestige Class based on the fencing styles he saw in that new Count of Monte Cristo movie. He specifically stated he wats the ability to disarm his opponent and snatch their weapon from the air, as is done in the movie several times.

I could've sworn I'd seen a chain of feats or something that allows you to do that, but I can't find it anywhere. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Any suggestions for the PrC? I'm actually trying to develop several PrClasses for different fencing styles, and since I'm using the Swashbuckler PrC already, I could use some suggestions to help diversify the others.

Thanks

Oni

First Post
A while ago over in the house rules forum a quite extensive list of sword school PrC's was put together. If you go over there and ask, you could probably dig this up. Not sure, but I think it would be almost exactly what your looking for.

Tylias

First Post
Lizard Lips said:
One of my players is trying to make a Prestige Class based on the fencing styles he saw in that new Count of Monte Cristo movie. He specifically stated he wats the ability to disarm his opponent and snatch their weapon from the air, as is done in the movie several times.

I could've sworn I'd seen a chain of feats or something that allows you to do that, but I can't find it anywhere. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Any suggestions for the PrC? I'm actually trying to develop several PrClasses for different fencing styles, and since I'm using the Swashbuckler PrC already, I could use some suggestions to help diversify the others.

Thanks

Song and Silence, p. 40

Feat: Snatch Weapon
Requirements: Improved Disarm

It's not a bad feat, either. Maybe even a little on the strong side, without being nastily overpowered.

Artoomis

First Post
One way to go is to make a prestige class that:

Gives a number of bonuses to "fencing" style fighting, but they are limited to:

Light armor worn only.

Light weapons for you, and light weapons (based on mediium creature, regardless of actual opponent) for your opponent.

This come close to a fencer-type fighter. Generally, such a fighter does no work well in the medieval time frame due to the use of heavy armor and heavy weapons. Still, this would be a cool concept, even if most of his really cool swordmanship would not be effective very often (due to opponenets with medium or heavy weapons).

I like the idea, but it's probably overly-specialized for D&D.

Gaiden

Explorer
No need for a separate PrC: all he needs are 3 feats - expertise, improved disarm, snatch weapon. If he wants to go with a PrC rather than a straight fighter, have him take the Duelist.

Arcanus

First Post
Just like Gaiden said.

Also go check out The Quintessential Fighter from mongoose pub.
It has a character concept (character kit) that you can pick up at 1st level fighter that is called a fop. This gives you either Weap. Finesse or Weapon Focus Rapier for free provided you are willing to give up the ability forevermore of using any armor other than light.

It also has a few feats that he might want to take. Not to mention a Swashbuckler PrC.

I would recommend doing exactly what Gaiden said and taking Weap.Foc. Rapier, Weap.Fin. Rapier(if Dex is better than Str.), Weap. Specialization, Ambidex, Power Attack, Power Lunge, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack. Whatever whatever to build the flavor for the character.

kreynolds

First Post
Artoomis said:
One way to go is to make a prestige class that:

Gives a number of bonuses to "fencing" style fighting, but they are limited to:

Light armor worn only.

Light weapons for you, and light weapons (based on mediium creature, regardless of actual opponent) for your opponent.

This come close to a fencer-type fighter. Generally, such a fighter does no work well in the medieval time frame due to the use of heavy armor and heavy weapons. Still, this would be a cool concept, even if most of his really cool swordmanship would not be effective very often (due to opponenets with medium or heavy weapons).

I like the idea, but it's probably overly-specialized for D&D.

The Duelist from S&F is pretty slick. Do you think that is something along the lines of what they are looking for?

Gromm

First Post
kreynolds said:

The Duelist from S&F is pretty slick. Do you think that is something along the lines of what they are looking for?

If he takes snatch weapon its EXACTLY what he's looking for.
If you don't have Song and Silence and don't want to get it the feat is pretty simple.
Prereq:Improved Disarm
Whenever you disarm an opponent and have a free hand you can catch the weapon rather than letting it fall to the ground. If you can wield it in one hand you can immediately make a single attack with it (suffering all the penalties for a second off-hand weapon).

Killer Shrike

First Post
Oni said:
A while ago over in the house rules forum a quite extensive list of sword school PrC's was put together. If you go over there and ask, you could probably dig this up. Not sure, but I think it would be almost exactly what your looking for.
I think you are referring to the 30 odd "Fighting Style" prestige classes I did and the 25 odd feats I developed to go along with them many months ago on the House Rules board. I believe (but havent checked) that they all went the way of the dodo when the boards were reset. However, I still have a copy of all of it on my hard drive if anyone is interested.

More to the point, I think you are specifically thinking of the Masterful Disarm feat:

New Feat by Ed Hastings aka Killer Shrike
Masterful Disarm [General]
You are greatly skilled at divesting others of their weapons.
Prerequisites: Expertise, Improved Disarm
Benefit: The user gains a +4 competence bonus on any attempt to Disarm a foe. If the Disarm is successful the opponents weapon does not land at her feet as normal, but instead is knocked to the floor up to 15 feet away in the direction of your choice, as permitted by terrain and obstacles.

However, in the interim year or more since I made that Feat, the Snatch Weapon feat from Song & Silence has been introduced, which is more in line with the Disarm & take away concept.

Remove ads