Counter Collection Digital and printing?

SSquirrel

Explorer
I downloaded the Counter Collection Digital 2.0 and a couple of them are in pdf form in full pages, but the rest of the sets are just collections of jpgs. How do I set a bunch of them together, say tiled out nicely, to print on cardstock?

SSquirrel

Explorer
I have openoffice, probly just as easy ;)

They're dropping into Impress easily enough, now just trying to figure out how to make them all snap in place properly to fit the most into a page that I can

Last edited:

Some word processing applications have a grid feature that allows you to snap images to it. Try that. I use that in MS Word. The great thing about the grid is that you can size the grid to whatever preset unit you want. I use 1 inch grid. Resizing the counters to large, huge, etc., in this set up is really easy to do in increments as it snaps to each size.

catsclaw227

First Post
SSquirrel said:
I downloaded the Counter Collection Digital 2.0...
Great purchase, by the way. I bought some wooden discs -- 3/4", 1", 2", 3" -- and used a gluestick and made tokens.

1. Print the images on good cardstock.
2. Get a circle punch, 1", 3/4" (for small)
3. Circle cutter for 2" and 3"
4. Glue the cut cardstock images onto the discs
5. You can even paint the edges of the discs or use a sharpie pen.

Good stuff

Klaus

First Post
Welcome to the Counter Culture!

I print mine from Corel Draw, but I've heard of people using Word easily enough. I then put double-face tape on the back, and glue the full counter page to a thicker cardboard. After that it's scissors time.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Counters:

Ingrediants:
Good paper (I use 28 lb.)
Some kind of backing board (I ordered a box of 8.5" x 11" picture boards...the kind they use to back a picture in a frame)
Elmer's spray glue
Matte coat spray
Rolling pin
Cutting surface (I have a "self-healing" cutting board...buy at craft shop)
Straightedge with a rubber or cork backing (so it doesn't slide on you)
Craft knife (I have one that is like a pizza cutter, which is great because the rolling action prevents tearing)

1) Prepare document (I personally use Excel)
2) Print document on nice paper
3) Take backing board and spray with glue
4) Carefully place sheet up backing board (easier than it sounds)
5) Carefully roll out from the center to the edges with the rolling pin to remove any air and form a good seal
6) Spray with matte coating to protect your counters (I'm lucky enough to have a color laser printer, so they look nice and I want them to last)
7) Let board dry (I usually just wait a day)
8) Cut out counters and toss into container of choice (zip-lock baggies, or I've had some luck using some craft boxes, which I think are designed to hold beads or something.)

They look great...are heavy (very easy to move around) and are quite, quite durable.

We use downloaded pictures for our characters on our character sheets and I use a zoom in on whatever picture the PC has to make a perfect counter for the players to use.

Also, it's very easy to toss numbers or names on counters before you print them out when you need to track lots of hit points, conditions, etc.

I print mine out in Microsoft Word. Nice and simple. Easy to copy and paste multiple pictures. Easy to resize the counters to whatever size you need.

I print them out on normal paper but then I laminate them. This makes them nice and stiff as well as durable. Plus if anyone spills a drink they are still ok. I've got counters I've used several times now without any wear and tear.

Olaf the Stout

SSquirrel

Explorer
We bought a pack of 110lb cardstock, my wife got an x-acto and cutting board. Tempted to use the OOO Impress option to add text boxes and type all the monster names on the bottom of each image. Would take longer but it would be very nice when digging for things.

Lots of great advice. We figured card stock and the digital version was good since we have a 2 yr old and a 13 wk old. If they get messed up just make more. A friend had given me the original set years ago when it came out and I in turn gave em to my DM.

Just as another option to consider, using your counters with a VTT such as MapTool is even easier. Drag and drop a counter directly onto the map, label it appropriately, and copy and paste as many as you need (the software will automatically number the counters).

The great thing about a VTT for in-person games is that there's nothing to clean up afterward and you can save everything as it is until the next session.

Remove ads