Counterspelling

chilibean

First Post
Can someone please clairify for me the limitations on counterspelling.

If a mage readies an action to counter spell, correctly identifies a spell, and has that same spell ready to cast, then the caster can cast a counterspell to negate it. It also mentions that the target must be within range.

Example 1: Two mages, both have wall of force. One is ready to counterspell and correctly id's the spell casting of his opponent.

Question 1: Does the counterspelling mage need the range to reach the opposing mage with his spells range, or the location of the wall of force he wishes to negate, or both?

Question 2: If the mage comes upon the wall of force later on, can he cast a counterspell to remove it?

Example 2: The Slow spell counter effects the haste spell. If cast simultaneously with a readied action, the counterspell simply negates the other spell. This is clear.

Question 3: Suppose that the slow and haste spells in question will both have a duration of 10 rounds. If the slow spell is cast 5 rounds after the haste, does it simply counterspell the haste, or does it suppress the haste for 5 rounds and cause the slow effects for 5 more rounds? So is it supression or negation?

Example 3: Suppose that a creature is protected by a fire shield spell and a monk wearing a ring of counterspelling (loaded with fire shield) attacks it and hits (assume with the hand wearing the ring, if that makes any difference).

Question 4: Will the ring counterspell the fire shield?

Question 5: Will the ring counterspell the fire shield if the monk touches the caster with it during the casting (ie. ready a touch attack upon casting a spell)?

MythandLore

First Post
Re: Re: Counterspelling

CRGreathouse said:
1. I'm not sure; I think the range has to reach the opposing mage.
2. No
3. Negation
4. No
5. No
1. I can't find it but I'd go with CR's "I think the range has to reach the opposing mage." (Umm... You can counter a cleric, bard, etc too CR, Yeah I know you know. ;) ) Because you need to target the opponent when using dispel magic as a counterspell. (PHB p.196)
Under the Counterspells section (PHB p.152) it says you target an opponent when you use your readied action.
2. I agree with CR
3. I agree with CR
4. I agree with CR
5. I agree with CR

Vanye

Explorer
chilibean said:
Example 2: The Slow spell counter effects the haste spell. If cast simultaneously with a readied action, the counterspell simply negates the other spell. This is clear.

Question 3: Suppose that the slow and haste spells in question will both have a duration of 10 rounds. If the slow spell is cast 5 rounds after the haste, does it simply counterspell the haste, or does it suppress the haste for 5 rounds and cause the slow effects for 5 more rounds? So is it supression or negation?

From the SRD:
Slow counters and dispels haste but does not otherwise affect magically speeded or slowed creatures.

Haste dispels and counters slow.

Basically, if someone is under the effect of one spell, and the opposite is cast upon them, they negate each other, leaving the character moving at normal speed. There are several spells that have that as a specific counter, usable at any time, since it specifically states that it dispels them as well as counters them.

Sigma

First Post
Range on Counterspells

Go poke around the Wizards website and you should find some examples of play with problematic rules. One of those contains a situation in which Jozan readies a counterspell against another cleric. The evil cleric casts poison, and the text notes that Jozan would have to touch the caster to counter it, and since he's not that close, he fails to do so.

Counterspells must be used at the time of casting. Once a spell is already in effect, you have to use dispel magic to get rid of it. Haste/Slow is a bit weird because they explicitly cancel each other out. So, if a Haste spell was in effect on a creature, and you cast Slow on him, the Haste and Slow both cancel each other out. It is not the case that the Haste will outlast the Slow and then start up again (or vice versa where the Slow outlasts the Haste, the creatures are not slowed down at that point), the two spells are basically dispelled when they hit each other.

Note that Slow is a really good counter to Haste since it effects multiple people whereas Haste takes a single casting per individual. Heck, Slow's even a really good counter for Mass Haste.

Last edited:

Remove ads