Couple of questions: Craftsman and Northern Shaolin

yrtalien

Explorer
OK, If I have a player who wants to be able to build things... is the career to suggest Craftsman?

If a person takes:

Builder. Assuming raw materials are available, you can make an item of equipment in one day by rolling a LOG check vs. the item's value

from the Craftsman career what exactly does Value mean... Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does that mean Log roll vs how much the item costs? cause you aren't going to be creating much that is cool in that case. An extendable quarterstaff costs about 50 cr would that be a 3d6 Log (+2d6 Craftsman skill) if you are trying to roll 50 on 5d6 you will of course fail.

Reading Norther Shaolin Martial Arts, with the understanding that this is all playtests:

Shifting forms. [FONT=&quot]You gain a DEFENSE bonus equal to your CHI attribute.

[/FONT]
So if I have a 6 Chi, I add +6 to my Melee AND Ranged defense, or just Melee, or all Melee, Ranged, and Mental (which would be wow).

Have I got this wrong?
Thanks

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, it basically mean you can whip up very cheap, basic items on the fly in desperate situations. Nothing of much value though.

For Shaolin, it adds to both physical defences. But we're playtesting that stuff right now and there are major structural changes happening, so don't get used to,it! :)

yrtalien

Explorer
Morrus, since I have your attention. I have a player who is going to be a Star Knight of Royal Birth. He has taken the exploit Royal Symbol and would like me to ask as his Rep goes up and his Laser Sword gets better (more upgrade slots etc.) Does he have to pay for the upgrades each bump or do they auto level (basically). Say he has paid for a high quality accelerator on his naturally high quality laser sword, when he ups his Rep enough for the sword to become Exceptional... Does the accelerator stop working until he pays for it to be upped to the exceptional level?

Or alternatively was the accelerator always built into his family sword he only now learned how to use it and it upgrades as his sword does.... I could argue for either. My player would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks and loving the game... oh and eagerly awaiting any news on NOW.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You're asking about the EONS article? It doesn't get free upgrades, no - it gets additional upgrade slots, though, which the wielder can pay to have customisations added.

Oh, wait, did you mean what happens to existing upgrades when the weapon increases in quality? Yeah, those would upgrade along with it. It'd be pretty harsh making them buy them again! :)

yrtalien

Explorer
New question... if I use psychic push does my target go prone? I'll take answers from anyone doesn't have to be Morrus... I know the man is busy getting stuff prepped :)

Last edited:

yrtalien

Explorer
One more question... sorry if this is annoying... to anyone out there who can answer...

Is Max Dice a hard cap or does it only apply after all penalties are figured. Say I am Grade 5 with xp spent. I have 4d6 Str and 3d6 Quarterstaff 7d6 total and I decide I want to knockback my rival by 10' (-2d6). Am I rolling 3d6 (as my die pool never exceeded 5d6) or am I rolling 5d6 since 7d6 minus 2d6 leads to the max die pool?

Oscar

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One more question... sorry if this is annoying... to anyone out there who can answer...

Not at all! Designers love it when people ask questions about their games!

Is Max Dice a hard cap or does it only apply after all penalties are figured. Say I am Grade 5 with xp spent. I have 4d6 Str and 3d6 Quarterstaff 7d6 total and I decide I want to knockback my rival by 10' (-2d6). Am I rolling 3d6 (as my die pool never exceeded 5d6) or am I rolling 5d6 since 7d6 minus 2d6 leads to the max die pool?r

The combat section has a sidebar on pg 150 (assuming you're using the NEW hardcover; it's on pg 137 in OLD). It lists the order you add and remove dice and when the dice cap applies.

Also it's covered again in the WOIN Rules FAQ on the website (which is a very useful document to download!)

Last edited:

Remove ads