D&D 3E/3.5 cover in 3.5?

night_lord

First Post
how has cover changed in 3.5? Am i right in understanding it to be that cover just gives a +4 to AC now? There is no more 3/4 cover, 1/2 cover etc? Sorry but can someone clear this up?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
The rules only speak of cover and conceilment now. Other values are still supported, but usually the standard values are used, for simplicity's sake

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Dark Dragon said:
AFAIK, if a creature has cover, it gets a +4 cover bonus to AC. There is no 1/4, 9/10 cover anymore. Keeps things simple.

There is still the equivalent of 9/10 cover if the DM thinks you qualify for it.

Melkor

Explorer
If and when my group decides to switch over to 3.5, this is the one thing I will keep from 3.0. I'll probably copy and cut out the description, charts, and images of 3.0 cover & concealment and attach them to the back cover of my 3.5 PHB.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Caliban said:
There is still the equivalent of 9/10 cover if the DM thinks you qualify for it.

Hrmm, was the cover table from 3.0 taken to 3.5? Can't remember that(ok, I'll be 30 next year ;)). Provides 9/10 cover +7 to AC?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Dark Dragon said:
Hrmm, was the cover table from 3.0 taken to 3.5? Can't remember that(ok, I'll be 30 next year ;)). Provides 9/10 cover +7 to AC?
No, the cover table is gone. In general you just have "Cover" or "Improved Cover" (at the DM's discretion).

Cover gives +4 AC and +2 on Reflex saves.

Improved Cover gives +8 AC, +4 on Reflex saves, Improved evasion, and +10 on Hide checks. It also prevents many types of weapons from being used to attack you, depending on how the cover is defined. (i.e. a battleaxe or mace cannot strike you through an narrow arrow slit, but an arrow or spear could.)

Last edited:

Darklone

Dark Dragon said:
Ah. Thanks for clarification, Caliban!
Btw, the same ruling applies to concealment... if the DM wishes, he can apply different concealment miss chances for different cases.

Example: not so dense fog, some opponents are at the edge, some more to the middle...

Remove ads