• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CR and stuff...

PrinceZane

First Post
Alright, I've read this before and I can't find it for the life of me. If anyone has a link or mind reprinting the formulas that would be awesome.

What is the formula for determining CRs? I know it has to do with like... % of resources and all that, but I don't know the formula exact. I really should print that out...

But specifically, I found a quest for "4 20th level players". Our group consists of 5 13th level players. I know its probably a little out of our league at the moment. But I don't remember how to figure out when we would be "ready" to do it.

Thanee

First Post
The most important 'formula' (it's more of a guideline, really) to know is...

Every +2 CR roughly doubles the power of a creature.

The DMG has a few tables and texts about Challenge Ratings and Encounter Levels.

Bye
Thanee

PrinceZane

First Post
Yeah, but I remember there being a post I read once that had a formula based on like, the CRs of the NPCs / CRs of PCs or some random thing like that, it was decently complex but appeared very effective. Just don't remember it at all

jtone

Explorer
Here's one formula that's worked well for me.
p = CR {if CR < =2} or 2^(CR/2) {if CR > 2}
EL = SIGMA(p) {if SIGMA(p) < =2} or 2 * ln (SIGMA(p))/ln(2) {if SIGMA(p) > 2}
(SIGMA is just sum)

Here's my full post on the subject.
http://jjtone.com/wp/archives/2004/08/16/encounter-level-challenge-rating-party-strength/

Here's how to gauge encounters calcuated with this formula:
Appropriate (Party EL - 4) approximately 15 of these = 1 level
Difficult (Party EL - 2) approximately 8 of these = 1 level
Deadly (Party EL) approximately 4 of these = 1 level

I popped this into an Excel spreadsheet and it's worked fairly well. As always, CR is only an approximation. I've had PCs waltz through Deadly encounters and be stymied by Appropriate ones.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads