• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CR rating of Dread Wraith without Constitution Drain save

Allegro

First Post
One of my PCs I think had a run in with a Dread Wraith without a save on the constitution drain ability. Any thoughts on the CR rating of this modified wraith? My battered ego would like to think I was horribly outclassed and running was a sensible thing.

Wraith

akbearfoot

First Post
I've never been a big fan of no-save death attacks.

A dread wraith can kill a character in 2-3 hits, easy. DC 25 fort save isn't even a sure thing for most players at the relevant CR.

At a +16 touch attack and having incorporeal traits, I think they are already a signifigant challenge for their CR. They will never miss, and have probably a 50/50 shot at con draining a fighter type...more like an 80% chance to drain a caster or rogue type.

I'd say +2 CR off the top of my head if you wanted to make the drain no-save....But then again as a player, if I knew they didnt allow a save then I would run from them. Like 1e/2e undead that drained levels....I'd rather die and make a new character than have to re-do 2 or 3 levels.

Allegro

First Post
It more then likely was just a mistake, but since I’m not the DM I don’t know. I’m just using my part-time DM hat to guess what my PC encountered was a dread wraith since it was incorporeal, spring attacking, and con draining. So two level 12 PCs running from a CR 13 is wholly appropriate and my ego has been soothed. Thanks for the responses.

Remove ads