• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CR versus EL and XP Award

doktorstick

First Post
Howdy.

CRs are used to determine ELs. ELs are modified based on CRs and situations. XP is awarded against...? From the DMG pg. 166-167, I get the impression the XP is awarded against CR and _modified_ by EL.

A few examples:

Four goblins (CR 1/4) in a fair fight is EL1. Four goblins sniping a player as he comes up a ladder would be EL 1.5 (?). How much XP would be awarded? (CR 1/4 x 4) x 1.25 (for EL difficulty)?

Two ogres (CR 2) are normally an EL 4. They are roped to a tree. The players can shoot them without even engaging them or use other ranged tactics. What is the EL? EL 1? If the players take too long, there is a chance an ogre can break free. Does the EL remain 1 and do you award the players (CR 2 x2) x 1/3 (EL adjustment) regardless if the ogres break free or not (i.e., this is an easy encounter if handled properly)?

I hope this is semi-clear. :D

Cheers,
/ds

kreynolds

First Post
doktorstick said:
CRs are used to determine ELs.

Yup.

doktorstick said:
ELs are modified based on CRs and situations.

Yup.

doktorstick said:
XP is awarded against...?

CR and modified by EL.

doktorstick said:
From the DMG pg. 166-167, I get the impression the XP is awarded against CR and _modified_ by EL.

Yup. CR let's you know how much base XP your players should get. EL let's you know how much or how little XP you should adhoc. The players would probably get less XP from the helpless Ogres, but probably a little bit more from the sniping golbins.

doktorstick

First Post
Say the PCs encounter the goblins in a fair fight (EL 1), aren't able to finish them off, retreat, approach from a different angle (like climbing into a barn), and are surprised by the same goblins (EL variable). Would the PCs get double XP for the same goblins?

/ds

kreynolds

First Post
doktorstick said:
Say the PCs encounter the goblins in a fair fight (EL 1), aren't able to finish them off, retreat, approach from a different angle (like climbing into a barn), and are surprised by the same goblins (EL variable). Would the PCs get double XP for the same goblins?

Not in my games. If you don't finish the fight, you don't get full XP. I'll give out a little bit of adhoc XP (role-play XP) for making the wise decision of retreating and attempting to come back to the fight with better preparation, such as planning, but I won't give out the full amount of XP for the retreat. When you retreat, you don't learn how to fight. You learn how to know when you're bested before the fight is over, which shows the wisdom of a character.

Gromm

First Post
doktorstick said:

/ds

Nope if they fled they didn't "overcome the challenge" of the goblins. They only get XP once, for beating the goblins (they only beat them once). Now if right after dying the goblins leaped back to life and attacked then they'd probably get double. Damn Necromancers

Actually by the book, you'd also get XP if you avoided the fight with the goblins altogether (like say you snuck by them or distracted them, etc). Not that many PCs take this option, they'd rather kill them so they don't have to worry about them at all.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Gromm said:

Actually by the book, you'd also get XP if you avoided the fight with the goblins altogether (like say you snuck by them or distracted them, etc). Not that many PCs take this option, they'd rather kill them so they don't have to worry about them at all.

I suspect that the reason most PCs would rather kill them all has less to do with practicality, and more to do with bloodlust....

(On the PLAYERS' part, not the characters', that is.)

dr_nukem

First Post
What about if the PCs make the monster's flee? That would constitute a victory...but what if the monsters later regrouped and came back, more XP?

Classic example is the super villain...he never dies (until the DM deems it storyline appropriate)...but more often than not he is thwarted (not just his minions mind you).

If you force an enemy to flee and then later encounter them again, do you get XP twice?

kreynolds

First Post
dr_nukem said:
If you force an enemy to flee and then later encounter them again, do you get XP twice?

Sure. But they should have a good reason for giving up the fight, such as getting their butts kicked. :) For instance, say you face off with 8 goblins, and you and your party kill 6 of them, while the last 2 retreat. I'd give you XP for all 8. If those 2 then later return with 12 more buddies, and you win, I'd give you XP for all 14. XP is a fluid thing.

Remove ads