crafting larger portable holes?

Torg Smith

First Post
Now I am reading the Portable Hole description from the ADnD DMG p152. It describes the hole as 6’ in diameter and 10’ deep. Now the volume of a cylinder is Pi *r^2 * h = 90 * Pi or approximately 283 cubic feet.

If I was running a game, I would probably allow a folded up Portable Hole to pass through another one. I would not let a second hole be opened in another Portable Hole.

As far as crafting a new hole that was bigger in diameter, I think I would allow it. Now the hole would only be 10’ deep and it would need to be spread out over an area of Pi * r^2. The inside diameter would be the same as the hole’s diameter. If the hole is 20’ in diameter, the occupants would probably have a hard time trying to fold the hole closed.

As how anybody rules this, it is all fiction and make-believe. That is the reason DMs exist to fill in the places the rules don’t explicitly say. I am sure many different people would rule many different ways.

So how do I figure out pricing for a larger volume of space? Ideally id to do create something 20 x 30 x 20/25. Thats far more rounded out than the enveloping pit.

I would insist that it be a cylinder although I would allow it to be wider on the inside than the outside.

The standard portable hole goes for 693gp/ft^3. I'd have no problem with a character trying to make a larger one at 700gp/ft^3, make it as big as you want.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=6669384]Greenfield[/MENTION]
SRD said:
When spread upon any surface, it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being

I know I'm not really supported by rules, here, but it makes more sense for the space to be anchored to an existing plane (eg; wherever you currently are) than it does to be tethered to no where.
The text of the Portable Hole suggests that each Hole is a portal to it's own space, and I'd treat it like any other portal. You can even turn it into a portal to the Astral plane, if you so chose, which is well supported within RAW.

Again, I know I'm reaching as a DM in ruling this way, but it really is the more sensible option.

AF Stripes

First Post
I would insist that it be a cylinder although I would allow it to be wider on the inside than the outside.

The standard portable hole goes for 693gp/ft^3. I'd have no problem with a character trying to make a larger one at 700gp/ft^3, make it as big as you want.

Okay so a portable hole with a 10 ft radius (20ft wide) by 15 ft deep would be 4714 ft cubed. Multiply that by 700 gp and then .25 (legendary artisan) to get 2474850 for the adjusted base price, followed by X .5 to get 1,237,425 as final crafting price and 98,994 xp.

Holy crap! Is my math right there?

Maybe its worth burning the feat for true believer to just get the Enveloping pit, or resanctify it to Gond through Sanctify Relic and Retain Essence and recraft it? Then I could sculpt the inside into whatever volume shape I want.

Last edited:

Okay so a portable hole with a 10 ft radius (20ft wide) by 15 ft deep would be 4714 ft cubed. Multiply that by 700 gp and then .25 (legendary artisan) to get 2474850 for the adjusted base price, followed by X .5 to get 1,237,425 as final crafting price and 98,994 xp.

Holy crap! Is my math right there?

Maybe its worth burning the feat for true believer to just get the Enveloping pit, or resanctify it to Gond through Sanctify Relic and Retain Essence and recraft it? Then I could sculpt the inside into whatever volume shape I want.

I would permit a player to argue that this cost is too high, I was simply setting a baseline that I would automatically agree to.

Greenfield

Adventurer
@Greenfield

I know I'm not really supported by rules, here, but it makes more sense for the space to be anchored to an existing plane (eg; wherever you currently are) than it does to be tethered to no where.
The text of the Portable Hole suggests that each Hole is a portal to it's own space, and I'd treat it like any other portal. You can even turn it into a portal to the Astral plane, if you so chose, which is well supported within RAW.

Again, I know I'm reaching as a DM in ruling this way, but it really is the more sensible option. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Hmm. Later in the description it describes it as a non-dimensional space. Ambiguity abounds.

Either way, the inside of a hole isn't "no where", it's a pocket dimension by whatever name, and the space in that pocket continues to exist whether the Hole is open or closed.

Now I'd certainly rule that you can't close a Hole if something is sticking out of it, but since you never close any of the interior holes in my model that really isn't a concern.

I could see an argument against having different Holes overlap laterally (i.e. side by side instead of end to end) since each is supposed to open into a separate space, but that language may simply be to confirm that opening one Hole will never let you access another.

To illustrate: Someone with a Necklace of Adaptation jumps into a Hole to hide, and closes it from the inside. They don't need air, so they can stay hidden a long time. An enemy might try to access their hiding space by laying another Hole on the same spot where the first was anchored. It doesn't work though, because each is separate.

I always wondered what happened if you took a Hole and spread it against the surface of a ball, so the edges met on the far side. :)

AF Stripes

First Post
I'd imagine something akin to a shadowy pac-man.

But can I get the Enveloping pit And use Retain Essence and Sanctify Relic to recraft it but dedicated and keyed to Gond?

I always wondered what happened if you took a Hole and spread it against the surface of a ball, so the edges met on the far side. :)

I would say you have a black ball. I only allow flat portions of a portable hole to open, the physics become nuts if you consider an object sticking through a non-flat portion of the interface. (The space inside is normal, I just say the roof is solid anywhere the fabric isn't flat.)

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=4679]Loren Pechtel[/MENTION] Consider a fourth spacial dimension, rather than remaining within the bounds of three.

Remove ads