Pathfinder 2E Creating interesting solo monster encounters

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
"Why not give them legendary actions or lair actions?"

Maybe because PF2 is different game from 5E, and by adding houserules we admit that Paizo's rules can't handle Solo monsters. In other words, if we can create interesting solo monster encounters using RAW, that would likely be a more satisfying discussion. :)
That’s a short conversation, then.

Being unwilling to hear any suggestion that comes from outside the game at hand is...an odd position if the goal is to simply accomplish the stated goal.

doctorbadwolf

So, @Nilbog !

What did you think about porting something like legendary actions and lair actions?

If you dig the idea, I’d be happy to brainstorm some specifics with you.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
So, @Nilbog !

What did you think about porting something like legendary actions and lair actions?

If you dig the idea, I’d be happy to brainstorm some specifics with you.

I think its a good idea< i'm sure solo monsters can be built within the existing framework of PF2, but I think pinching good ideas from other systems is never a bad thing!

I like the idea of terrain hazards, and that is something I do use, but it can be a pit passive whereas I've found lair/legendary actions to be more active

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I like the idea of terrain hazards, and that is something I do use, but it can be a pit passive whereas I've found lair/legendary actions to be more active
What about complex hazards? Those seem close in spirit to lair actions. With the monster and hazard building rules now available, it should be possible to build ones that look and feel more like lair actions than just fancy traps.

cmad1977

Hero
I think its a good idea< i'm sure solo monsters can be built within the existing framework of PF2, but I think pinching good ideas from other systems is never a bad thing!

Maybe the environment is tied to some of the creatures ‘legendaryish actions’

doctorbadwolf

Agreed on all points! Off turn Actions that are simple but impactful reallychange a solo fight from an HP meat grinder into an engaging fight with tactical depth that is easy to grasp yet satisfying to grapple with.

So, what are some critters you’re looking to upgrade? I don’t have the PF2 core book, my buddy does, so I don’t have any statblocks on hand today, but I can do this all day.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Environment: a dynamic environment makes solo type monsters memorable

This was my thought also, dynamic environments that have rockfalls, lava spouts or Moving ground are great (especially if the rockfall is set up as a trap that the BBEG can deliberately trigger). Really the Alchemical Vats in the OP just sound like Magic Items that monster can activate on its turn.

Now I love Lair Actions, theyre a convinient dynamic tool, but things can be done RAW and be fun too

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Agreed on all points! Off turn Actions that are simple but impactful reallychange a solo fight from an HP meat grinder into an engaging fight with tactical depth that is easy to grasp yet satisfying to grapple with.

So, what are some critters you’re looking to upgrade? I don’t have the PF2 core book, my buddy does, so I don’t have any statblocks on hand today, but I can do this all day.

Well my first encounter is with a Lizardfolk Tribal leader who has taken over the crypt of one of his long dead ancestors and is claiming to be him reborn. I've originally gone with an Elite Lizardfolk defender with two pet Grauladons and a couple of standard lizardfolk defenders. The party is 6 second level characters, and I want to make this a severe encounter so I've 3 creatures of second level (total 120xp) and two of first (60xp) which tallies with the guidelines for a severe encounter, however I'd like to lose the standard Lizardfold defenders and make the boss more interesting.

The terrain they are fighting in a ruined and partially collapsed crypt, pools of water are dotted around the floor as the elements from above have seeped in, also there is piles of rubble and mud.

================================================
ELITE
LIZARDFOLK DEFENDER CREATURE 2
N MEDIUM HUMANOID LIZARDFOLK
Perception +9

Languages Draconic, Iruxi

Skills Acrobatics +7, Athletics +8, Survival +7

Str +3, Dex +2, Con +3, Int –1, Wis +2, Cha +0

Items flail, javelin (3), wooden shield (Hardness 3, HP 12, BT 6)

AC 18 (20 with shield raised); Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +7

HP 31

Attack of Opportunity
Shield Block
Speed 25 feet, swim 15 feet

Melee flail +10 (disarm, sweep, trip), Damage 1d6+5 bludgeoning
Melee jaws +10, Damage 1d6+5 piercing
Melee tail +10 (agile), Damage 1d4+5 bludgeoning
Ranged javelin +9 (thrown 30 feet), Damage 1d6+5 piercing

Deep Breath A lizardfolk defender can hold their breath for 175 rounds (17-1/2 minutes).

Terrain Advantage Non-lizardfolk creatures in difficult terrain and non-lizardfolk creatures that are in water and lack a swim Speed are flat-footed to the lizardfolk defender.
=================================================

Remove ads