Creating magic items in 5e

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Do people have any ideas on how to do this in 5e? Do you think it should be a player option in 5e?

I recall the RC had rules which broke down to a percentage chance to create an item based on your casting modifier, level, and I believe the level of spell that you were using to create an item.

2e had enchant an item and permanency spells for magical item creation. You also had to gather up some exotic items like the branch of oak tree which had been struck by lightning to create a wand of lightning (this is nonspecific, it could have been anything the DM determined). Presumably priests just threw an item on the altar and prayed a bunch for their items.

3e had the item creation feats and allowed you to make items to your heart's content as long as you had the money and experience points to pay for it.

4e, as I was just reminded, had a ritual that allowed you to create items. I believe they also had one to break down items so if you had an axe if thunder but really wanted a sword of frost you could perform the rituals and swap them about.

5e I think has some downtime rules (I'm drinking coffee in a cafe at the moment so can't check) and I believe they expanded in them in a UA.

At any rate, how do you deal with enchanting items in 5e? Have you brought back a system from an earlier edition? Do you use downtime as a means for item creation? Do you even allow PCs to create their own items?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Do people have any ideas on how to do this in 5e? Do you think it should be a player option in 5e?
As you noted, 5e does have some suggestion of a system to create items. And, no, given the design of 5e, I don't think it should be a player options, at least, not a codified, player-driven option like it is in 3.x/PF.

At any rate, how do you deal with enchanting items in 5e? Have you brought back a system from an earlier edition? Do you use downtime as a means for item creation? Do you even allow PCs to create their own items?
I avoid giving out items unless it's really expected/critical when I'm running AL (which I haven't been, lately), and have yet to worry about items when running 5e outside of the AL context.
My next campaign, though, will likely change that, and include PCs making items, as the theme I'm toying with is apprentices of the 'last' wizard (OK, the last 'good wizard,' there being lingering evil sorcerers and warlocks and such) trying to bring magic back to the world.

My immediate impulse on running 5e was to hearken back to AD&D magic-item creation. Requiring high levels, exotic materials (especially 'questing for' all kinds of bits of monsters and impossible materials), lots of time, and some meaningful risk.
I haven't changed my mind.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I do like the idea of the earlier editions where part of item creation was an adventure just to gain the components.

Most of my item handouts have been consumables with only a small handful of items. I did hand out a permanent item to everyone at the end of one adventure, sort of like a congrats on hitting 5th level thing.

Miladoon

First Post
Yes. I like players planning on making them, however I work with the players when they want to add content. Makes for fine questing.

I have a restriction on weapons though. Weapons are not +X items, instead they grant access to all or some of the effects of the cantrips - Prestidigitation, Druidcraft, or Thaumaturgy.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
There's that thing from the starter kit.
I've never seen the starter kit, what's it got to say on item creation?

I guess a somewhat related question is spell creation, whether a new spell or one from the phb that a wants in their spellbooks, how do people adjudicate that? I have some basic rules where phb spells are common, other officially published spells are uncommon (such as from elemental evil) and new spells are rare. Each requires are larger library to facilitate research.

neogod22

Explorer
It explains magic item creation in the DM's guide. The cost of the item, and how many days you have to spend casting the spells necessary to create the magic item.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It explains magic item creation in the DM's guide. The cost of the item, and how many days you have to spend casting the spells necessary to create the magic item.

It is pretty basic rules for item creation though (from memory, I'm in a different cafe now and forgot to look up the rules while I was home).

I'm sure that some people would prefer systems from earlier editions or even their own homebrew rules.

neogod22

Explorer
It is pretty basic. You have to make the item, but super expensive, and takes a lot of time. Plus you have to know the spells that are equivalent to the enchantment, and spend 8hrs a day enchanting them.

Remove ads