Creature based Artifact help

Richard Brookes

First Post
For my campaign , at the moment i'm thinking of making 6 Artifact that have a soul of a powerful creature with them
the Creatures are based on
>Fenrir
>The nemean lion
>One red dragon
>one white dragon
>A griffin
> one base on Typhon from greek mythology

and at the moment i can't think of any ability from them apart being able to cover the wielder in a suit of armour

Richard Brookes

First Post
the type of Artifact are :
>Fenrir:Sword
>The nemean lion: Axe
>One red dragon:Gauntlets
>one white dragon: Wings
>A griffin: Spear or Glaive
> Typhon : helmet

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
I think the aim should most likely be to make them stand apart and give them unique magical abilities that fit with the creatures you mention and maybe have all the different magical artifacts also similar in a certain way.

For example, what if the wielder of such an artifact takes on certain aspects of the soul that is trapped in the artifact. Maybe the Fenrir gets the ability to howl like wolf and deals additional sonic damage when fighting with the sword.

The lion could make someone brave, grant immunity to fear or maybe instil fear in others, like a minor fear effect.

The read dragon could give you a fire breath or any other fire related ability, maybe a fire-shield type magical effect, to do something really weird.

The white dragon wings could have something similar, either an elemental effect, or maybe have the wielder grow a draconic tail that can be used for attacks?

I'm not so certain about griffins or typhons, but you could look for certain low level spells that fit the theme you are going for.

I might go with the ability to summon a version of the critter once a long rest for 1 minute (being evil I would throw in concentration rules like for conjure elemental). For Typhoon, you could have a half-red dragon storm giant, unless you wanted to make it a really powerful artifact (in which case you might just use Tiamat's statistics). I might go with an Androsphinx or Chimera for the N. Lion (depending on how powerful you want it), or just make a lion that is immune to slashing and piercing damage. For the F. Wolf, if you have Tome of Beasts, they have a Son of Fenris monster (CR 12) that would be good, or use the Tarrasque stats (the Wolf is pretty much just a really big wolf that can eat gods, no special attacks or anything like that).

Richard Brookes

First Post
this is what i have so far

The Talon Of the Stormlord

Curved blade adorns the tip of this solid gold and steel spear, decorated with large feathers that appear to float on a unidentifiable breeze.
You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls with this magic weapon in addition to 1d6 lighting damage.The weapon has a total of 6 charges and regains 1d4 - 1 charges daily at dawn. While in a mountainous region or area of strong air elemental magic, it regains 1d3 charges after completing a short or long rest. As a bonus action, You can expand up 6 charge to empower the spear with the force of the storm , any target that is hit by the attack takes 1d10 of lighting or thunder (chosen by you) damage per charge spent . When you hit with a ranged attack using this weapon, the weapon immediately flies back to your hand.

Aegis of the Stormlord:

Random Properties: The Talon of the Stormlord have the following random properties:
1 minor beneficial property
1 major beneficial property
1 minor detrimental property

Sentience. The Talon of the Stormload is a sentient chaotic neutral weapon with an Intelligence of 15, a Wisdom of 18, and a Charisma of 16. It has hearing and darkvision out to a range of 120 feet.The weapon communicates telepathically with its wielder and can speak, read, and understand Common and Auran

Spells: While the Spear is on your person, you can use an action to cast one of the following spells from it: Investiture of Wind , Control Winds , or Wind Walk. Once you use the sword to cast a spell, you can't cast that spell again from it until the next dawn.

Remove ads