D&D 3E/3.5 Creature Catalog 3.5 Overhaul Project

Mortis

First Post
BOZ said:
do you want to do psionics the way we did with the illithid article? That is, put spell-like psionics in the description and a note about “real” psionics at the end?

I would go for this option, as it allows DM's without the Expanded Psionics Handbook to use the Lythlyx (and any other psionic using creatures as well)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Well, since psionics are the topic of discussion at the moment, I might as well go with that. ;)

Dragon #43 said:
PSIONIC ABILITY: 21-120
Attack Defense Modes: A, B, D, E/F, I, J

Lythlyx do not speak, and will use their psionic abilities only if psionic powers are used within 9” of them, or if they lose over half their hit points. (Roll d100 and add 20 to find the psionic ability of a Lythlyx.)

Note that the above passage suggests to me that they have the ability to detect psionic powers in use. FYI, the above attack/defense modes in 1E were: A. Psionic Blast, B. Mind Thrust, D. Id Insinuation, E. Psychic Crush, F. Mind Blank, I. Intellect Fortress, J. Tower of Iron Will (i.e., the same ones given to them in the 2E books below)

Ruins of Myth Drannor said:
Psionics Summary:
Level Dis/Sci/Dev Attack/Defense Score PSPs
9 4/4/12 PsC,II,MT,PB/M,IF,TW 10 210

All lythlyx have:
Psychokinesis-Sciences: create object. Devotions: animate object, control flames, control sound, create sound, molecular agitation.
Psychometabolism-Devotions: body equilibrium, suspend animation.
Psychoportation-Sciences: summon planar creature, teleport. Devotions: teleport trigger.
Telepathy-Sciences: psychic crush. Devotions: id insinuation, mind thrust, psionic blast, telempathic projection.

MCA1 said:
PSIONIC SUMMARY:
Level Dis/Sci/Dev Att/Def Score PSPs
9 4/4/12 PsC,II,MT,PB/M,IF,TW 10 210

Psychokinesis-Sciences: create object; Devotions: animate object, control flames, control sound, create sound, molecular agitation.
Psychometabolism-Devotions: body equilibrium, suspend animation.
Psychoportation-Sciences: summon plant creature, teleport; Devotions: teleport trigger.
Telepathy-Sciences: psychic crush; Devotions: id insinuation, mind thrust, psionic blast, telepathic projection.

Which led me to give the lythlyx the following powers when I converted it:

Creature Catalog said:
Psionics (Sp): At will--body equilibrium, control flames, control object, control sound, create sound, major creation, matter agitation, suspend life, telempathic projection, teleport, and teleport trigger. These abilities are as the powers manifested by a 9th level psion.

Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): At will ? id insinuation, mind blast, mind thrust, psychic crush/empty mind, intellect fortress, tower of iron will.

IIRC, I created those from the last example, the MC Annual. I think “summon plant creature” must have been an error by the editor, because I haven’t seen it in any book, and was probably supposed to be “summon planar creature” as in from the RoMD version. I don’t know that there is an equivalent 3E power for that.

Mind blast appears to have been changed back to the old name of psionic blast?

I’ll tell you this much – not everything on that list should be “at will” – I just didn’t know how often things should be useable. :)

After we nail down the XPH version, we can try retrofitting the list into a spell-like abilities version.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Still studying psionics, o' Bump Lord. If no one else replies in a couple days, I should have something to offer. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I have now received my psionic diploma from Astral University. :p

For ease of reference, I've summarized all the abilities it had listed, with their current power levels:

psionic blast (3)
mind thrust (1)
id insinuation (2)
psychic crush (5)
Mind Blank, psionic (8)
Intellect Fortress (4)
Tower of Iron Will (5)
create object (no longer exists?)
animate object (no longer exists?)
control flames (1)
control sound (2)
create sound (1)
molecular agitation (no longer exists?)
body equilibrium (2)
suspend animation (renamed to suspend life, 6)
summon plant creature (no longer exists/never existed?)
teleport, psionic (5)
teleport trigger (5)
telepathic projection (1)

BOZ said:
IIRC, I created those from the last example, the MC Annual. I think “summon plant creature” must have been an error by the editor, because I haven’t seen it in any book, and was probably supposed to be “summon planar creature” as in from the RoMD version. I don’t know that there is an equivalent 3E power for that.

Looking through the powers list, about the only power that "summons" anything is the astral construct power.

BOZ said:
Mind blast appears to have been changed back to the old name of psionic blast?

It appears so.

BOZ said:
I’ll tell you this much – not everything on that list should be “at will” – I just didn’t know how often things should be useable.

Agreed, especially the higher-level powers. For simplicity's sake, I'd make the 1st-3rd level powers at will, the 4th-6th 3/day, and the higher powers 1/day.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
create object (no longer exists?)
animate object (no longer exists?)
molecular agitation (no longer exists?)

look up. :p

major creation, control object, matter agitation.

Knight Otu

First Post
While I like Shade's suggestions, I'd say the list of powers should be cut down a bit. It is, after all, just a 5 HD creature. I'd especially kill some of the former combat modes.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK. so, it is clear that either some of these need to go, and/or limit the daily uses for some.

If it matters at all, the 2E versions had them set at a Level of 9, 4 Disciplines, 4 Sciences, 12 Devotions, a "Score" of 10, and 210 PSPs. If you're familiar with 2E psionics maybe that means something to you, but it's beyond me. ;)

Psi-Like Abilities (Sp): At will - body equilibrium, control flames, control object, control sound, create sound, empty mind, id insinuation, intellect fortress, major creation, matter agitation, mind thrust, psionic blast, psionic teleport, psychic crush, suspend life, telempathic projection, teleport trigger, tower of iron will. Manifester level 9th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

So is there no "summon planar creature" equivalent now?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I've never looked at 2E psionics. :)

However, since a 9th-level psion could have up to 5th-level powers. That would rule out suspend life.

I'd also ditch major creation, as it doesn't seem like it would need to make stuff. Tower of iron will can also go, since the creature is already immune to mind-affecting effects. I'd also lose teleport trigger.

Remove ads