Creature combiner

Night_mane

First Post
Some time ago a wizard class specailizing in creature combining was published in Dragon. It was back in 2dn ed so it was probably a kit. Does anyone know the issue number or if there's been a conversion? I found nothing similar in the Complete Arcane. These guys were supposedly the source of owlbears, venom dogs, and the like.
If I can fine the rules I'd love to use someone like this as a villan in a game.
Thanks.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
I do not know which Dragon this was in, but I believe that the same writer also wrote a book on the subject for 3.0e. The book is called "Encyclopaedia Arcane Crossbreeding: Flesh and Blood" by Johnathan Richards. There are no Prestige classes in the book; but the book contains complete rules for creating most any kind of crossbreed.

Ciao
Dave

Firebird

Explorer
The Amalgam Template from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary also allows you to "mash" any two creatures as well. It's worth a look.

frankthedm

First Post
Night_mane said:
Some time ago a wizard class specailizing in creature combining was published in Dragon. It was back in 2dn ed so it was probably a kit. Does anyone know the issue number or if there's been a conversion? I found nothing similar in the Complete Arcane. These guys were supposedly the source of owlbears, venom dogs, and the like.
If I can fine the rules I'd love to use someone like this as a villan in a game.
Thanks.
The Merlane was the name IIRC

The monsters in a similar article;

Duckbunny [ first experiments of those not yet insane tend to be on non lethal critters]
Armadillophant; Armor plated Elephant.
Dragon fly turtle; Snapping turtle with bug wings.
Spider horse:Horse with spider legs and abdomen
Scorpion tailed Dogs {eventually became 3e chaimail abyssal ravagers]
Poisonous Snake headed dogs

Honestly, creative descriptions matter more for monster making than stats. Pick a beast or animal and start changing its description. A small bell and whistle here and there and bing;

Take a dire lion, slap a vulture head on it, give it a short ranged acid spit, maybe nausiating the creature for one round afterwards to balance the effect out, upgrade it's stats to magical beast [adds a few HP and BAB becomes HD]. Add 1 or 2 to the CR depending on what it does for the critter.

attachment.php

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=151900

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
Huh, I had no idea there was something official for this sorta thing out there. Just a couple of weeks ago I had a wizard character who worked off just that type of schtick for a one shot game for the group's yearly camping/gaming excursion.

It was a hoot just coming up with all sorts of strange crossbreeds for the hell of it. Octosnails, rabbituna, sheep spheres, pygmy otyugh, plactopodes, lampflower, quillbears, etc.

Fun stuff.

Night_mane

First Post
Thanks, I think the name for the class can help me find the rest of the info. Maybe it's goofy, butI was thinking one of these would be interesting foa recurring villain,if I can get a game to work. Thinking theoriginal might help me set spell levels for conversion. I dunno, I'm a longtimeplayer, but almost never GM, so it might not work.

Night_mane

First Post
definitely worth a peek, from the review I found, if only a local store carries it. tough to justify buying a game book till I've had achance to flip the pages

Thankzs

Remove ads