Crimson Skies RPG?

Imperialus

Explorer
One of the things that I've always loved about FASA products is the creativity (not to mention richness and detail) of their settings. Shadowrun, Mech Warrior and Crimson Skies are all facinating settings and I have been toying with the idea of doing a D20 version of Crimson Skies for a while now. I'm thinking I could hammer something together out of D20 Modern, Past, and Apocolypse but what wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to pull it off, or better yet if someone else has already put something together that I havn't heard of I'd be just as happy shamelessly yoinking their ideas. Heck, if anyone has published a crimson skies game I'd probably pick it up even if it isn't D20.

Stormborn

Explorer
I don't know about an RPG but WizKids did a poorly recieved (IIRC) clix version which I still see around and usually on sale. Gret for figs if nothing else.

My concern with using d20 M for such a setting would be ariel combat. I have never tried it myself, but I know that there are a lot of complaints about vehicle and tactical combat in d20. You might consider running it with a homebrew dogfighting system (or asking around here for such).

Imperialus

Explorer
hrm... Decent dogfighting rules would definatly be a must. I've never had much reason to use vehical combat in D20M. It'd probably more closely resemble starship combat that traditional dogfighting with the zeps and blimps acting as capitol ships.

CarlZog

Explorer
There has never been an officially published Crimson Skies rpg, although the original boardgame had a definite role-playing element to it, and numerous supplements were published which expanded on that aspect of the game. However, it remained mainly a plane battle game.

There was a fan-produced CS rpg for the Savage Worlds system I found online a while back. I don't recall the name, but I'm pretty sure I still have the downloaded files on my computer at home. I'll check tonight for you, Imperialus.

The Whizkids clix version was, indeed, wretched as far as rules go, but the models were OK, and -- as Stormborn mentioned -- can be had really cheaply now. Last year at GenCon, I picked up the ENTIRE collection of Whizkids minis (30+ planes and a handful of hero figs) in a bundle for $15!

Carl

JoeBlank

Explorer
I know almost nothing of Crimson Skies, but became curious when I was poking around Steve Kenson's webite and saw that he had writting a novel for CS. I like his writing style, so I may pick it up someday.

Anyone familiar with Kenson's fiction?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
If you do not mind not using miniatures for the sky battles then the chase rules from Spycraft 2.0 or the Hot Pursuit! rules from Adamant might work. I have used both sets of rules to good result. (In at least one case for the same battle - ornithopters in my steampunk espionage game.)

The Auld Grump

CarlZog

Explorer
The Crimson Skies rpg for the Savage Worlds system was called Aces High and is available here from the Savage Worlds website's page of conversions. It includes a set of aerial combat rules.

I've never tried to play this, but it looked pretty cool on the surface.

Carl

tadk

Explorer
I know there are several homebuilts for this setting out on the web.....a few fm people i know.....i think it would be cool no matter what you used....just thought that some of the etherpunk classes would about fit into the genre also...come to think of it...if you wree just going to borrow for a bunch of stuff....

Remove ads