Critic my race...

Flobby

Explorer
I made a new race and was hoping someone could look it over and
let me know if it seems balanced...
It's a clairvoyant offshoot of humans BTW.

Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom; +2 Constitution or Intelligence.
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Perception, +2 Insight

Human Adaptability: You gain training in one additional skill from your class skill list.
Resilience: You gain a +2 to saves against charm attacks, poison, and disease.
Vision: You can use Vision as a daily power.
Clairvoyant Reaction: You can use Clairvoyant Reaction as an encounter power.

Clairvoyant Reaction Racial Power

Encounter
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack.
Effect: Add a +2 to the appropriate defense. If your defense higher than your opponent’s attack role, the attack now misses.

Vision Racial Power

Daily
Standard Action Personal
Target: One create or object
Effect: When you touch an object or living creature, you gain a flash of its future or past. The exact nature is up to the DM.

Thanks!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Strictly from a flavor sense, I don't see what about being a clairvoyant says "I'm tougher and healthier" that warrants a +2 Con. I would think a +Cha would be far more appropriate as some clairvoyants have lots of personal magnetism and know how to "work a crowd".

+2 Perception and Insight - absolutely.

For the Clairvoyant reaction, how about forcing a re-roll and making the opponent take the lesser of the two rolls? I think maybe the halfling already has something like this, but I could be mistaken.

The racial Vision power is the equivalent of the fifth-level Object Reading ritual from Arcane Power. It's a great storytelling device and I don't see it being game-breaking to have it as a daily.

Flobby

Explorer
Thanks for the comments! The Con bonus actually does make sense with the race's background--sorry I know I gave no info on that--

I like the reroll idea but then it would be exactly the same as the Halfling power.

I had no idea that there was a ritual like that already! Thanks for the info.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Thanks for the comments! The Con bonus actually does make sense with the race's background--sorry I know I gave no info on that--

The resiliences to charm, poison, and disease don't reflect a clairvoyant to me. (But maybe they fall in line with the background that you mentioned in your response to Herobizkit.)

Instead of making this a race, have you considered making this a specific Humans-only theme? Clairvoyant Reaction seems like an ideal first level feature, the +2 Per and Ins could be the 5th level feature, and Vision could be a swapable Utility power. Just a thought.

Unwise

Adventurer
The resiliences to charm, poison, and disease don't reflect a clairvoyant to me. (But maybe they fall in line with the background that you mentioned in your response to Herobizkit.)

Instead of making this a race, have you considered making this a specific Humans-only theme? Clairvoyant Reaction seems like an ideal first level feature, the +2 Per and Ins could be the 5th level feature, and Vision could be a swapable Utility power. Just a thought.

I like this idea, you could even have a prerequisite on the theme stating that they must be human and have wisdom of 12 or more, to reflect the fact that they are from this distinct group.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=8569]Flobby[/MENTION]
A paragraph on just what this race's background is would be helpful...

Anyhow, from a purely mechanical perspective, I would nix Human Adaptability because they already get a standard racial bonus to two skills. You might be able to make it a bonus feat instead (but perhaps from a more limited list than most humans get?).

Flobby

Explorer
I was thinking that the bonus skill was too much actually... Maybe the other three abilities are enough... I'll give a little background to the race in a moment here.

Flobby

Explorer
Sorry for the disappearance. Basically the idea behind the race is an off-shoot of humanity that evolved in response to environmental disaster brought about by alien forces--so yeah, it has kind of a sci-fi theme but could be adapted to fantasy as well. Hence the Con bonus and resistance to poison.

Remove ads