Critical Hits - why, and why not?

Critical Hits/Misses added to the realism of the game.
Only in as much as it adds uncertainty. There's nothing particularly realistic about dropping after seven arrows to the head instead of ten arrows to the torso.

Otherwise, if the PC's knew they could NOT DIE, it would change how people would RP the game.
Adding critical hits to the mix doesn't change anything. If you have 100 HP, then you know for certain that you can't die from a single hit, and a fall from any height will be non-fatal. The rules of the game tell us this, the characters who live within the world should be aware of it, and they should act accordingly.

And it's definitely a feature, rather than a bug. When characters can die instantly, they stop taking risks. A level 10 character should be able to rush a handful of kobolds without fear of dying instantly to some goofball crit. A lot of the math in a game goes to encouraging and discouraging certain behaviors, and for D&D, they want to encourage players to be heroic.

Celebrim

Legend

No, they only add to the verisimilitude of the game and that is really only about certain expectations, which often as not are not realistic. If we really cared about realism, we'd track how many pints of blood were left in the body, roll for shock following trauma, and as many deaths as not would be by lingering infections.

Otherwise, if the PC's knew they could NOT DIE, it would change how people would RP the game.

"Tis a dragon and I be first level, lets attack the overgrown lizard!"

It does help players from acting "too foolishly".

Alternatively, if the players always knew that there was always small chance that they'd succeed, no matter how foolish the attack, they might well consider it a viable strategy to attack dragons at first level, hoping for that rare critical that would array them in power, wealth, and magical treasure. After all, why not? If a game features instant death with every 100th attack, it's foolish to fight 100 kobolds rather than 1 dragon.

pemerton

Legend
As others have said, this depends pretty heavily on genre, and on what you're trying to model.

if the PC's knew they could NOT DIE, it would change how people would RP the game.
Two things.

First, even without a critical hit system PCs in D&D can die eg by losing all their hit points.

Second, I am running a campaign of a system in which players can spend a fate-ish point to stop their PC dying, and it doesn't significantly change how they play the game. Living and dying are not the principal stakes in that game.

At 1st level, any typical D&D PC will run a significant risk of death in attacking any typical D&D dragon.

And if the only consideration in attacking the dragon is whether or not the PC will die - or, to put it another way, if the game is proceeding on an assumption that every attack that is likely to be successful for the attacker should be undertaken - then there seems to be a degree of shallowness in the campaign which the introduction of a critical hit system may not remedy.

N'raac

First Post
Alternatively, if the players always knew that there was always small chance that they'd succeed, no matter how foolish the attack, they might well consider it a viable strategy to attack dragons at first level, hoping for that rare critical that would array them in power, wealth, and magical treasure. After all, why not? If a game features instant death with every 100th attack, it's foolish to fight 100 kobolds rather than 1 dragon.

Look at those Artifacts in 1e D&D - well, there are 100 levers, buttons, etc. - fiddling with it has probably a 50% chance of destroying your character and maybe a 5% chance of giving some huge advantage. Go for it - if it works you get a huge advantage, and if not you roll another character and try again. Sooner or later, I'll get that 1 in 1 million crit and decapitate the Dragon with my dagger - and that character will have huge xp and treasure!

diaglo

Adventurer

It does help players from acting "too foolishly".

let them attack a dragon. rolling hps and 1st level. d6 for all gives everone 3.5hp on avg. dragon does on avg. 14hp of damage with each hit. even if they make the save vs fear.

Water Bob

Adventurer
3.0 made some ... interesting ... decisions on crits. The tagline of 3.0 was "Back to the dungeon". And in a dungeoncrawler the same applies to crits as did in oD&D. They take away tension. They also mean that a normal orc who rolls a natural 20 to hit (and confirms) can threaten PCs well above the orc's level while being strawberry jam if the PCs hit first. Again, this throws planning into the lap of the dice and makes building specific tension harder. Not good for a dungeon crawler. Also sudden death out of nowhere works much better when you can roll up a character in only a couple of minutes than when you have a massive list of skills.

3.5 made the decision not to change crits. With the emergent eggshells-wielding-sledgehammers of 3.0 Save-or-Suck spellcasting this was almost the right decision. Fast kills and one shots fitted with the rest of the game. The part of critical hits they should have changed is simple - the confirmation roll is a step that only ever disappoints people and should have been eliminated.

4e had wimpy crits. Which mean you can plan for them thus not undermining the tactical game so much. But not giving the emotional high to the people who wanted it. It also sufferered a second problem: rolling dice is fun - there were people who'd prefer not to roll crits in 4e and that is something that should never happen. The 4e critical rules therefore are ... useless. (Oddly enough 4e with Dark Sun had the best critical failure rules I've seen in any system).

5e crits are good. Not especially powerful (a good thing). But noticeable - especially to anyone with the kinaesthetic sensibilities to like an extra dice in their hand. They fit with the rest of the game, they feel good without unbalancing things - and they don't undermine the strategic risk management side. They could be seamlessly transferred to 4e and improve the game slightly. They make a dent in the risk management, but not an extreme one - but they provide the acknowledgement and emotional high the people who want crits are seeking. As good a compromise as I've seen for a game that's trying to do most things rather than any one thing spectacularly well.

Back to the OP....CRITICAL HIT CHARTS

My first use of a Crit Chart came from Dragon Magazine. It was a percentile chart that one of us typed up. Good gods, it was deadly. "Critical Hit Friend" came up more often than we wanted. And, as I got older, I realized that the chart was no good for the game. The PCs were exposed to its effects a million times more often than NPCs. One PC may fight seven goblins. That's 7-to-1, right there, against the PCs. The longer you play, the higher the probability that the PCs will get maimed if not killed. We ended up with all sorts of injuries. Eyes missing. Missing limbs. Missing fingers or ears were common.

It was just a big negative for the players. So, we dropped it.

We still laugh, to this day, how Sturm Brightblade died when playing the first DragonLance adventure, DL1, under the original AD&D rules, back in the day. Riverwind, standing next to him on a ledge in the dungeon at the climax of the adventure, pulled a javelin of lightning out of his quiver on his back. The player rolled a natural 1 on his attack. The Crit Hit chart roll was 00 or some other awful number close to that. The line said, "Critical Hit - Friend". It was Sturm, standing behind him on the ledge.

So, what happened was, the dragon came flying up into the upper parts of the lair. Riverwind braced himself, then drew his javelin, cocked it back a little too far and stuck Sturm in the chest. Bbbzzzzzt! Sturm was stabbed and fried and fell to his death.

Poor Sturm.

Yeah, it wasn't long after that when we retired the Critical Hit Chart.

Afterward...NO CHART, OR SIMPLE RULE, OR MORE SENSE

For years afterward, we used nothing. Or, we used this simple method that seemed to be fair: Roll natural 20, it's double damage. Roll natural 1, your enemy gets a free, extra attack on you. This was all pre-3E.

I have seen some Crit Hit charts that work well. There is one designed for Mongoose's Conan RPG (yet, I don't use it). Whenever a Crit happens, you throw for extra damage as you do normally with the 3.5E d20 System. But, you also roll on a chart. The chart is skewed so that, more often than not, the extra injury effect is just bothersome and lasts for a limited time. Effects were like: Helm rung, hearing at -50% for 1 hour, or Knee Bashed, movement halved and no running for 1d6 hours.

That type of chart is much more playable. Rolling on the chart is a Saving Roll instead of a random roll, and with the chart being skewed, you really have to brick the save in order to get a result where your character dies or is permanently maimed. If a chart like this is written well, it can be used without the PCs taking the brunt of the awful damage, coming out of the game maimed.

But, a lot of thought must be put into creating such a chart so that it is balanced.

My favorite.....GUSTUD!

I created a rule for my d20 Conan game that my players really like. It's a type of Critical Hit chart, but it is different from those discussed above. It only applies to melee (not ranged attacks). And, the standard d20 rules are still used (natural 20 still causes a Critical Threat that needs to be resolved).

On a Melee Attack Throw, when a Natural One is rolled, the GUSTUD rule is triggered.

Roll 1d6

1. Grapple
2. Unarmed Attack
3. Sunder Attack
4. Trip
5. Unarmed Attack
6. Disarm

Typically, an Attack of Opportunity is given to the defender when most of these special attacks are attempted. But, when given to a foe because of a roll of a natural 1, the AoO is not allowed. This means that the natural 1 triggers a special attack by the character's foe.

Now, the foe does not have to take advantage of the special attack. And, why wouldn't he attempt the special attack? Well, because most of the special attacks give the target a recourse action if the special attack is failed. For example, if Able attempts a Trip on Berkus and fails, then Berkus gets to try to trip Able in return.

Secondly, a character may not want to take the combat in that direction indicated by the special attack. For example, if a Grapple can be attempted, a character may not want to take advantage of that attack because he may not be a good match for the grapple attempt, or he may not want to take the combat into a wrestling match at this time.

-- So, there are times when the Natural 1 is rolled but the foe doesn't take advantage of the opportunity given him.

-- And, there are times when the Natural 1 is rolled when the foe does attempt the special attack but fails. The Natural 1 turns out being a boon for the character who rolled it (instead of a penalty).

-- And, there are times when the Natural 1 turns out to be a fumble for the character who rolled it. It just depends on how the special attack plays out.

In our combats, we've found the GUSTUD rule really livens combat, making it exciting. You never know what's going to happen.

And, our fights end up looking more like this: COOL SCENE FROM THE MOVIE "CENTURION"

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Re: centurion

Did just see a guy get half his head chopped off? By a short sword? Those troops should've been singing cadence as they marched down that road...

Critical hit quick fix:
Damage gets applied to Constitution score instead of hit points.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've always had a simple critical hit system in my games - on a natural 20 you roll a d10 and on 8-0 your damage gets a multiplier tacked on.

I've also always had fumbles - on a natural 1 you roll a d6 and on 1 you fumble; there's a table to see what you've done to yourself and-or your allies. Bane effects and similar can increase your fumble chance.

Spellcasters can fumble as well, and I make casters roll to aim their spells in most cases.

No, that's a GM problem if there ever was one. The problem here is not the system. The problem here is the GM is wanting to control, constrain, and channel player behavior to certain expectations he has about what the players should do and by golly the players just aren't doing it. So instead of reflecting on why one would even care whether players charge down 6 loaded crossbows and start hewing down their foes, they start looking for something wrong with the system. Problem is, the system is doing exactly what it should do.
The system is doing what you think it should do. Others see it differently; and it has nothing to do with DMs wanting to "channel player behavior" and more to do with the idea that no matter how lucky you are (hit points in all editions being partly defined as luck) there's always a risk. And keep in mind crits don't have to always be auto-kill; it could be as simple as saying that crossbow bolt got you for 18 points damage instead of 6.

And? So what? In your typical modern action movie, that scene gets more or less repeated in some fashion with the hero and 6 thugs holding revolvers.
True, but that doesn't make those scenes good.

And? How is that good? What is your motivation in that? And in particular, why the heck would I play a fighter in your game when I could just say, "Screw that. Protection from Normal missiles. Fireball."
If you want to try and cast a spell while under enemy fire go ahead; your odds of getting it away are - or certainly should be - slim at best, a la 1e. 3e and 4e made casting under duress way way WAY too easy, leading directly to the problem of overpowered casters.

Lan-"even as a Fighter, I have to say the best answer to a bunch of bowmen is a well-placed fireball; that's what we have casters for"-efan

Remove ads