• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crossed Paths, Part II

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar stars into the fire with Brioc, putting a hand on his shoulder, and then looks up at Marcus' words. "Aye. Burning sounds best. Although perhaps we should not stay here tonight- they might be back." He begins collecting firewood.

ooc: Octar'll take as many arrows as no one else wants.

Manzanita

First Post
From speaking with Y'dress, the only cleric of note in Sevastopol, Brioc can deduce she is not powerful enough to bring Nathaniel back.

Actually, Dhormium would know that there are sufficiently powerful clerics in The Hold to do this, but since Guilt puppy has moved on, I guess we should too.

Jarval

Explorer
"I doubt any of us will be getting much more sleep tonight anyway, so I think where we are matters little. Let us build the pyre and give Nathaniel the funeral deserving of one who has fallen while protecting the lives of others."

Brioc joins Marcus and Octar gathering firewood, Wolf following the druid closely, trying to comfort his friend.

Inez Hull

First Post
Ehldannis inspects the speartip with his Detect Magic [BTW was their anything else magical detected?] and crouches down lost in thought as he turns it over in his hands, carefully avoiding the flames.

His curiousity sated he then looks around his companions and sees their long faces. Just as the question is forming on his lips he sees the body of Nathaniel. Gods, I must pay more attention, magic is not all. How should I show my feelings amongst these humans? I have read of their attitudes to death but never have I seen how their grief effects them.

Seeing the others gathering firewood, Ehldannis guesses it best to follow their lead. I will mourn him privately tonight.

Krilith

First Post
~Dhormium rises to his feet and glances at the surroundings, the thrill and excitement of the fight still courses through his body and mind.~

"Let us indeed respect our fallen comrad and honour his passing. We shall light this pyre high and bright so that it will guide Ehldannis to his Gods."

~With those words spoken Dhormium turns and starts gathering the needed wood. Still keeping a vigile eye for the untrusty orcs and their dishonourable ways.~c

ooc: Hello everyone, i'll be playing Dhormium from now, i have not played in a PbP game before but i'll try and keep up.

doghead

thotd
Marcus is tired. He wants this done, so they can be bid farwell to Nathanial and begone.

He sets aside a collection of stuff, the sets of roman chainmail, the double axe, the shortswords and longswords and the bows. As he works he finds that he has been calculating the value of what they have gathered. He pulls himself up with a shake of his head. But the calculations are done - 350gp {1}, give or take, more if that double axe is as well worked as I suspect. A useful amount of gold to have, but ... but he knows that he will gift it to the people rather than seel it. Let it redeem itself.

"This," he says pointing to the pile he has made, "I would take to pass on to people who could use it, and keep it from those who should not have it. The other stuff I would have destroyed.

"Men are sometimes burnt with the things they have treasured, and sometimes with the things that they have taken in battle I hear.

"The hides and leather would burn well, and I would have them burnt with the pyre if it is appropriate."

Whatever the decision, Marcus accepts it without comment. The stuff he has collected he wraps in the chainamail in a bundle, and that bundle he lashes to Nathanial's horse {2}. All except a longsword, shortbow and twenty arrows, which he puts on his horse. The rest, if it was not burnt, he distroys using the double axe, before lashing it with the other stuff. He works silently, slowly and mechanically until it is all done, talking to no one unless spoken to first. Then, if there is any hours of darkness left, he wraps himself up in his blanket and falls asleep immediately, staying that way until awakened.

ooc: {1} Appraise check 13.

ooc: {2} We have horses, don't we?

ooc: Hey Krilith, welcome aboard.

Manzanita

First Post
Right. I forgot to put the horses in the map. They're tied up nearby.

& Krilith will be playing Dhormium. Welcome. If Thels returns, I'll invite him to create a new PC, if he wishes. I didn't want to just dump Dhormium; believe me, you'll be glad you have a cleric.

The spearpoint registers magic, but nothing else.

Last edited:

Krilith

First Post
~Deciding there is now enough wood, Dhormium starts building the pyre with or without any help. Staking the smaller sticks and twigs in the center and the larger ones to the sides. When the pyre is ready he walks over to Ehldannis, Brioc and Octar (ooc: I’m reckon they are still awake).~

(ooc: knowledge religion check +5 to see if I know anything about the ceremony considering Nathaniel’s last rites. If I know of any ceremony I’ll try and act on them if not, we start the pyre and honor him as a friend)

The pyre is ready now. We can place Nathaniel on the pyre now to give him his last rites. The sun will come up in a few hours so we still have some time, to prepare the ceremony and” ~Dhormium nods his head in the direction where Marcus is resting~ “maybe in turns get some few moment of rest ourselves. And then at dawn, with the company of the sunrise light Nathaniel’s pyre.

Manzanita

First Post
Dhormium knows a nice religiously neutral rite he could perform. Nathaniel had no particular religious loyalties.

The rest of the night passes peacefully. Go ahead & submit your 4th level PC stats. The morning comes. Despite the hard night, you all feel that the practice & study of the week in Sevastopol have paid off. You feel a bit more confident as you face the day. The morning is cold, but clear. The ground is hard and good for riding. You're one day North of Sevastopol, and 3 or 4 days south of the target.

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar stands silently as Nathaniel rises as smoke to the new dawn. He hasn't slept all night, and is very, very tired. He expects to catch some sleep in the saddle... but then again, maybe not. In any case, his malaise from the settlement has been replaced with a quiet, smoldering anger.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads