D&D 1E Crowdsourcing suggestions for 1e or 2e module for a 5e game

Morley_Dotes

Villager
I think you've got a great spread of classic dungeons there!

The only old one I would suggest is L-2: The Assassin's Knot (from the Lendore Isles series) for a change of pace from all the dungeon crawling. It's a convoluted murder mystery that will keep the characters guessing, designed for AD&D levels 2-5. It's the rare event-driven adventure among old school adventures, and is often overlooked by GMs. Also, few players I've run across are familiar with it, so it should be a surprise.

A retrospective about it: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20001229b
DnDclassics link: L2 The Assassin's Knot (1e) - Wizards of the Coast | AD&D 1st Ed. | Adventures | AD&D 1st Ed. | Dungeon Masters Guild

Conversion-wise, you're looking at almost entirely NPCs who fit the mold 1:1 with existing NPC stat blocks in the Monster Manual. The main villain, however, you have a decision to make: You COULD use a certain MM stat block for, though it won't be a direct 1:1 conversion and will be CR 9. Alternately, you could write up the villain's stat block from scratch using the DMG guidelines or PHB rules.

What I like about it is that because it's not a combat-driven dungeon crawl, it scales very well to whatever level you want to run it at. And it's short (30-pages) and generic enough that the GM can easily adapt it to his or her campaign. As a mystery, it's well designed because it seems like half the castle is evil alignment - plenty of scoundrels for the PCs to suspect guilty of the murder!

Oh man, Umbra! My favorite adventure ever :) That's how I first learned about Chris Perkins too. Fabulous adventure.
I've run the Desert of Desolation (I3-I5) for four different groups back during the 2e timeframe. It always ran well for me. The super module blends them together a little better then the individual modules. I can't say it will run well for every group (or your group) but I've had success with it and have been considering converting it myself to run for an entirely new group of gamers that have never played, nor heard of, the Desert of Desolation.

Remove ads