• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cry Havoc

Renocide

Explorer
The most Id pay for a PDF is probably around 15 washingtons. And thats if it was a nice and long book, by a author I know and enjoy, and has really great art.

JoeGKushner

First Post
drnuncheon said:

I suspect that's for the printed version - I don't think the market would support a $17 PDF...

J

Monte is one of the more popular publishers around.

Monte's books are not inexpensive by any means unless they're on 'sale'.

Perhas it's $17 but will be $14 when introduced?:confused:

JoeGKushner said:

Monte's books are not inexpensive by any means unless they're on 'sale'.

You know, I'm not even sure what that means. We pretty much set the pdf pricing standard with Book of Eldritch Might ($5). Not inexpensive compared to what? Pdfs in general, I think most people will agree, are by their nature inexpensive when you figure that they're usually about 50% to 60% the price of a print book.

MEG Hal

First Post
Monte At Home said:

You know, I'm not even sure what that means. We pretty much set the pdf pricing standard with Book of Eldritch Might ($5). Not inexpensive compared to what? Pdfs in general, I think most people will agree, are by their nature inexpensive when you figure that they're usually about 50% to 60% the price of a print book.

I agree 100% both your print and pdf's are at market price and they are good, which also helps :D .

JoeGKushner

First Post
Monte At Home said:

Sorry for the lack of clarity. When your products are 'on sale' they are, what I'd consider, the industry standard but when they are not, they are high priced.

When the Sky Falls, 64 page black and white pdf, $9/$7. That's not half of the print price.

Requiem for a Good: Same

Book of Eldrich Might (as of now): 48 pages, $8/$6. That's not half of the print price. That's $2.95 less than the print price, not counting user expenses for printing.

It gets worse with the products that are two pdfs but one print product like Mindscapes ($9/$7 + $7/5 = $16/$12) vs print price of $18.95 or Bonds of Magic ($7/$5 + $7/$5 = $14/$10) vs print price of $12.95.

As noted, the combined price of Mindscapes is $16/$12, indicating that a $17 pdf price is well within the realm of reasonability, especially if it's on sale for $13-$14.

I do not agree with your assessment that they are 50% to 60% of cover/print price. Fair price on 'sale'? Yes. Inexpensive? No.

Last edited:

Why do you keep putting sale in quotes? That's our sale price, and it's about half of the print price ($7 is about half of $13.95).

Book of Eldritch Might pdf is $6, and the print is $10.95. That's between 50% and 60%.

And you still haven't said inexpensive compared to what.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Monte At Home said:
Why do you keep putting sale in quotes? That's our sale price, and it's about half of the print price ($7 is about half of $13.95).

Book of Eldritch Might pdf is $6, and the print is $10.95. That's between 50% and 60%.

And you still haven't said inexpensive compared to what.

These books are always, are always or appears to be, on sale and sometimes on sale from the sale. That's why I put it in quotes. A sale price that never ends is not a sale.

And $6 is not 50%-60% off of 10.95. That would be $5.47 (50%) or $4.38 (60%). As I pointed out with other books, sometimes the print price was not that much different from the pdf combined price or non-sale price.

The inexpensive is less than other products of a similiar nature. As you pointed out, you helped set the standard. You are not selling at a lower cost. This does not make your products more expensive necessarily, especialy on a page per page count for the larger books. For example, the Complete Guide to Drow is $6.95 for 52 pages, Tournaments, Fairs and Taverns, $6.95 for 69 pages. Less expensive then the Book of Eldrich Might when it's not on sale.

Competitively priced? Yes. Inexpensive? No.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads