• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(CSToA) Touch of the Abyss [IC]

Redclaw

First Post
I agree about tracking down this Algorthas, but why would we want to find a madman? I don't see any profit, monetary or otherwise, in such a pursuit.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Tesla & Arcs

"There could be somekind of reward. Though one never truely knows until one goes and finds out." Comments Tesla as she finishes up her meal. "Shall we?" She asks as she gathers her things.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The series of hilltops outside the city walls serves as teh abode of the gentry of Istivin. Palatial manors surmount these hills and the saddles between, guarded by large companies of hired mercenaries intent on keeping Istivin's troubles firmly within the city walls and away from teh private lives of the aristocracy. The cursed pall that hangs over Istivin seems not to have ventured this far, though some of the district's wealthy denizens have vanished while conducting business in the city.

After passing through the gates and heading up to Brink's Hill, you arrive at the manor. The gate guard, a sturdy looking sentry and part-time buttler asks, "Who exactly are you, and what do you want here?"

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Slisik introduces himself, but wastes little time on pleasantries. "I am Slisik. We were told that a man named Algorthas was asking questions about some guards killed last night, and about an attack on the orphanage. We have information that could be useful."

Creamsteak

Explorer
The guard takes you to a study just beyond the entrance of Algorthas home. After a moment, an older man with an epic mustache arrives. He speaks in a tired raspy voice. "So strangers come knocking on a sleeping mans door not much after dawn. Their numbers include a bunch of armed fighters and what looks like a spellcaster or two? Well, I guess that means you're all adventurers from beyond the gates of Istivin. And clearly, based on your equipment, you killed a beast of a dragon not too long ago. Oh, and the crumbs on some of your clothes are exactly the kind one might have after eating breakfast at Mal's Inn. That means that you were not too far from the attack last night..."

attachment.php

"Tell me if I've got anything wrong yet. The main question I have is what do you want with me?"

[sblock=Knowledge (Local) DC 15]Local legend refers to Algorthas as the "smartest man in the world," a pronouncement that Algorthas himself has begun to earnestly believe.[/sblock]

Attachments

• Untitled0.jpg
    Untitled0.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 111

Dekana

Explorer
Slisik

"Quite perceptive, human. This must be the famously brilliant Algrothas I've heard about. Anyway, yes, you are correct on all counts. In fact, I saw some of the excitement last night. May we come in?"

Slisik describes the incident that he saw, speaking about the madman, the guards struggling with him, and also the gold-ringed raven he noticed.

[sblock=Rolls]Knowledge: Local (1d20=20). Wow, invisible castle has been loading my rolls or something recently.[/sblock]

Creamsteak

Explorer
"This study will do for now. So you witnessed whatever happened near the orphanage? Poor Akala... a dark cloud hangs over the city it seems. It will even go so far as to kill a poor woman who only lived to help others."

He strokes his mustache in all it's obscene glory while talking.

"The citizens of Istivin have grown used to these strange phenomena over the years. I have been investigating the issue for some time, and have learned some most disturbing things."

"What exactly did you see last night?"

Nephtys

First Post
Veris smiles and extends her hand, greeting him amiably while her paranoid mind considers the true meaning of his words.
The crumbs on our clothes... Hardly. A man like this will have eyes and ears all over the city, and we have been less than subtle about our accomplishments. He wants to impress us with his wisdom, yet not appear too well connected. Or maybe he intended for us to see trough it and read it as a threat. Interesting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads