• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cthulu? Wtf..?

Kristivas

First Post
OK, as far as RPGs go, I'm a 'newb'. Since I was 11 (15 years ago), I've only played DnD (2nd ed, Skills and Powers [so... unbalanced...], 3.0, 3.5) and did a little flirting with VTM and Star Wars. We tried to play champions once, but making a character took like 6-7 hours.

Anyway, what in the holy bejesus is a Cthulu? I've heard a lot of viciousness about Hastur and other such names, and on this guy's website.. his gaming party ended up on this place called Ryleh and into Cthulu's toilet (at which point all of the players screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" and horidity happened). My mind is blown. Someone give me a run-down on these Cthulu and why they're so feared..

exerpt from: http://www.albrunothethird.com/ab3frameset-1.htm (click rants and reviews, then Wrong Room in Ryleh)

EL DISGUSTO: "The darkness deepens throwing the great old one's body into silhouette. Cthulhu is right above you now."

ME: "My God... you've outdone yourself El Disgusto."

BLOBERT SMITH: "What in the name of Timothy Bradstreet is going on here?"

ME: "We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

EL DISGUSTO: "Great Cthulhu's gelatinous green buttocks cover the rim of the Great Receptacle. You hear a nasty slopping sound."

EVERYONE ELSE: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

Aulayan

First Post
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

That is not dead which can eternal lie...and with strange aeons even death may die.

Cthulhu is a Great Old One, a being of immense terror, 'evil', and wrongness that to look upon him will drive most mad instantaneously. And those who aren't will probably be eaten instantaneously. So basically, if you encounter him, you're dead.

He lies in the great sunken city of R'lyeh, somewhere around Australia and New Zealand. When the stars are right he shall return.

More information can be found in: The Call of Cthulhu short story by Howard Philip Lovecraft. The Call of Cthulhu Role Playing Game by Chaosium. The Call of Cthulhu Plush Dolls by ToyVault. The Call of Cthulhu Video Game published by Bethesda. The Call of Cthulhu Flamethrower by Craftsman. (So many tie ins)

Wormwood

Adventurer
You either worship Great Cthulhu or you are His prey.

Actually, you'll be eaten regardless, but the cult has some great parties. And chicks dig guys in robes.

Roudi

First Post
Cthulhu comes from the stories of H.P. Lovecraft (specifically the short story "The Call of Cthulhu") written and published in the 1920's and 1930's. Cthulhu is described as a hideous form of Elder God, older than the world, who sleeps in an ancient city beneath the sea (Ry'leh). Cthulhu's form is described as humanoid, though the head resembled the body of an octopus, and dragon-like wings extend from the shoulders (he is obviously the original inspiration for illithids). Cthulhu is called the "priest" of the Elder Gods, who slumber but wait for a time to emerge from Ry'leh and devour the living things of the world.

From Lovecraft's stories, Cthulhu has managed to seep into our cultural mix. Cthulhu has his own roleplaying game, various videogames, merchandise (even plush toys), and the like.

As a matter of principle, if you encounter something you don't understand, trust in Wikipedia

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kristivas said:
Anyway, what in the holy bejesus is a Cthulu?

Not so much a cthulhu as the Cthulhu.

As the wikipedia link mentions, Cthulhu is one of a number of godlike beings in a pantheon first created by horror author H.P. Lovecraft. Literature, games, or movies that have "cthuloid horrors" is often said to be "Lovecraftian".

Cthulhu and others of his ilk may live on or visit Earth, but they are so incredibly alien that their presence and influence is mind-bending for us mere mortals. One major point of the fiction is that they human mind can only comprehend so much - if you present it with a geometry in which what should be a corner is really a curve, the human mind doesn't do so well.

Real Lovecraftian horror is a bit above such scatological references as you mention above. :)

Did you see the movie "Hellboy"? The critters floating out in space that nearly ate the world were Cthulhu-esque.

Last edited:

Remove ads