Cultural influences in roleplaying

Reflecting on four decades of roleplaying I've been thinking recently about the things in the background which shaped my early gaming experiences, forged strong groups and broke weaker ones, informed our aesthetic, demanded our attention.

Because the best groups I've been part of have always shared a lot of cultural influences, and it's interesting to think about how they've shaped what I choose to run and how friends and I chose to play.

Comics in early 80s Britain meant 2000AD. I barely knew anyone that wasn't at least familiar with it. Many of the characters, as well as the alumni earning their stripes on the comic, are now famous. But at the time 2000AD was a bit edgy, a bit loud and aggressive and punk, a bit subversive. Judge Dredd was often a satire on the authoritarian leanings of the UKs conservative government. Nemesis the Warlock was fighting space fascism. ABC Warriors, Strontium Dog. These were not shiny happy people. These were outsiders, misfits and wierdos trying to find their way in dystopian societies.

A bit later we got V for Vendetta and Watchmen by Alan Moore, Doom Patrol from Grant Morrison. Again, these were not stories about your friendly neighbourhood superhero. These were stories about morally ambiguous people making the best of dubious, or downright terrible, situations. Required reading might also include Cerebus the Aardvark, Love & Rockets, Swamp Thing, Flaming Carrot.

Musically, this was all reinforced by a lot of punk, post-punk and early grunge - Clash, Bowie, Stranglers, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies. Major film influences amongst my group included Blade Runner, The Terminator, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Predator, Alien, Aliens, Platoon, The Deer Hunter, The Godfather, Reservoir Dogs, Akira. The films of Mike Leigh - in particular Life is Sweet and Naked - were admired.

What came out of our gaming as a result was, of course, limited by the RPG tech we had available. In fantasy, it needed to be low magic, high lethality, gritty, grungy and streetwise. We found systems which made that easy - Runequest & 1st edition WHFRP. There was a lot of low-level play in threatening situations, whether that was Pavis or Sartar or an unnamed village, where we rolled up commoners with spears and fryings pans, beset by zombies.

We played open-ended 'stay alive' type sandboxes using Twilight 2000, or Aftermath, or Pheonix Command, heavily influenced by Vietnam movies. Sometimes you'd create a character and then roll 2d6 to see how many rounds you had left for your main weapon, and go from there. You weren't any kind of hero - you were a grunt with a rifle, a few rounds, a few buddies and a bad attitude.

Vampire proved popular, partly because it jived with a lot of our shared music, film and clubland experiences - and in particular because the subject matter was morally ambiguous people making the best of dubious situations. The fact it was entirely GM led wasn't ideal, although that did at least make it relaxing to play with a beer and a smoke.

It's interesting to note that fast forwarding a couple of decades and Apocalypse World has been the best game for us for a long time - again a game of morally ambiguous people facing crises situations, although this time far more player-driven.

I think that gives enough flavour to be going on with. So the question is what are your artistic and cultural influences from film, music, art and comics, and what themes and patterns from them have you noticed in your roleplaying?

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I've been moving out of the dungeon since I was a teen. I lean heavy on political intrigue and faction play. I want an interesting world to interact with and make a difference. For less modern takes, I look at Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5, The Expanse as examples of great factions and political intrigue. For fantasy, I lean more towards Birthright setting and Game of Thrones takes where you are trying to climb the ladder of chaos.

I do hear you on morally ambiguous characters. Sometimes that can be a drag though when folks are just awful people and there is no silver lining. Though, I did have a blast turning monster of the week into a Fargo like experience. A lot depends on the group you are with. A GM that can set the stage for a great story, and players that can sow that into great instead of ok. I always want to have a John Le Carre experience, but often end up with Ian Flemming and thats ok.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I feel as though I am a good deal less interesting than you are. Not only was I a pretty stereotypical 1980s-vintage nerd, but I grew up in a pretty stereotypical 1980s American suburb, and while I did read some Fantasy in high school it was mostly the typical-ish stuff for the time (Eddings and Kurtz and Donaldson) and while I did enjoy some of that it was really King (and Straub and Bradbury and Poe) that I fell harder for.

Comics and TV and movies were always ... things I knew a little about--more as I started to hang out with other nerds, later--but they were always things my parents kept a tight eye on; they let me read pretty much whatever (not-comics) I wanted to. So I read a fair amount of other fiction, and some non-fiction.

I wasn't ever drawn to Vampire or the related games, because looking through the player-facing material it was always clear to me that the PCs were going to be tools and agents and emphatically subjects of greater powers and weren't really going to be in charge of their own stories. I didn't have the knowledge and/or vocabulary then to put it that way, or to figure out what the locus of non-appeal was, but I think that was about right.

Thinking about your ending question some--presuming it is the point of your post--I gotta say there are remarkably few influences--consistently so--from authored fiction in the play I've most enjoyed. I get and appreciate and enjoy moral ambiguity, unreliable narrators, antiheroes, and all that stuff--in authored fiction; I don't care much for it in TRPGs, though. Thinking further, it's clear that things in TRPGs that lead to or point at no-win situations ... frustrate me, which turns into anger, which makes me more likely to tip into depression. Why I do not react so to them in authored fiction is probably a thing I could do with thinking about--but it's arguably beyond the scope of what belongs here.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In thinking about it, I don't feel there's a clear and direct connection between my media consumption and my gaming. There is no obvious "I like films with these genres, or those kinds of heroes, so those are the games I play."

But then, my media tastes are pretty broad. It is hard for me to nail down any specific elements that are "my thing" so to speak.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Here are a few that I can think of off the top of my head that have informed my gaming at different points, and mostly continue to do so.

• Uncanny X-Men- particularly the Claremont years- a great blend of action and soap opera style drama
  • Lonesome Dove- when I need a pair of NPCs, you can't go wrong with using Call and McCrae, one all cold logic and the other all fiery emotion, as inspirations- also their trip from Texas to Montana and all the adventures they get into along the way, as well as themes of age and friendship and love are all great to draw upon
  • Deadwood- whenever I need a town, I think Deadwood always informs the place and its inhabitants in some way- either the location or the vibe or the inhabitants as NPCs- there's almost always a piece of it in my games ever since it first came out
  • Stephen King- absolutely lean on his works for inspiration on NPCs- thinking of a specific character from one of his books can help me formulate how I want to play a character, whether an NPC or a PC- so when I think "this guy's like Stu Redman" it really helps guide me in depicting them
  • Aliens- the first and second movie, particularly the second, were huge influences on us- just the vibe, the isolated setting, the dwindling hope, the conflict within the group, the different goals or "sub-missions" that come up- this was and remains a huge touchstone for our group

And I can also think of one that was big for my group because of its relevance at the time that we all first got together:

- Chronicles by Weis and Hickman

That one holds a different place for us in that it was certainly formative of our early gaming- I mean it was literally a shift along the lines of "look what you can do with D&D" and we responded to that- but over time it's become something more that we want to avoid- not so much the tropey characters and interpersonal drama, but the predefined plot that went along with them

There are others, for sure, but those all came to mind immediately.

Aldarc

Legend
So the question is what are your artistic and cultural influences from film, music, art and comics,
  • '80s Science-Fantasy: Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, Visionaries, Thundarr, Star Wars, Nausicaa, etc.
  • Video/Computer Games: Blizzard (Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft), Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Legend of Zelda, Guild Wars 1 & 2, JRPGs
  • Anime: Vision of Escaflowne, Record of Lodoss War, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Berserk, Twelve Kingdoms
  • Speculative Fiction Novels: Elric of Melniboné and the Moorcock Multiverse, The Silmarillion, Earthsea, Dune, Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Chronicles of Prydain, Lies of Locke Lamora
  • Other Fantasy: The Dark Crystal, Pirates of Dark Water

and what themes and patterns from them have you noticed in your roleplaying?
A handful that come to mind:
  • Ecology and the Land
  • Chaoskampf
  • High Seas Adventure
  • Hearth Fantasy
  • Strange, Alien Worlds

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Back when my gaming group and I were kids, we were definitely a mixed bunch. Everyone contributed something to our hodgepodge of games.
We had one person with a fixation on Vietnam and the military - that brought Recon into the mix as well as influenced his character gen choices in Villains and Vigilantes.
We had another who favored anime and got into Cyberpunk relatively early - that brought Robotech, Cyberpunk 2013, and Mekton to us.
We were all into superheroes so we dabbled in Champions and played Villains and Vigilantes extensively. I ran a lot of that one and also followed the Elementals comics as well as the various X-books, both of which influenced how I ran the game.
One of our primary DMs was a HUGE fan of Conan so his campaign was full of lust, violence, decadent empires, and corrupt nobility.
I was a big fan of the Thieves World anthology so I liked to focus on relatively mundane if squalid settings where magic wasn't necessarily rare, but it wasn't everywhere and it tended to be mysterious and dangerous.

These days a big influence is Critical Role - not necessarily for the stories or style of the stories, but for doing a stronger job of portraying our characters and their priorities/foibles and working them into the story of the campaign.

We had another who favored anime and got into Cyberpunk relatively early - that brought Robotech, Cyberpunk 2013, and Mekton to us.
I forgot to mention cyberpunk - but it also chimed with a lot of my group. I did include Blade Runner and Akira as films in the OP, but the Sprawl trilogy by Gibson was a major influence on myself and several friends, and the cyberpunk attitude fit with the general ethos of politically subversive, brash, punk outsiders that informed a lot of our gaming. The original Talsorian Games Cyberpunk was, in my recollection, nicely written but quite poorly designed. We found enjoyment in it nonetheless.

Last edited:

hawkeyefan

Legend
Giving this a little more thouht....

I think the moral ambiguity thing is something that was there with us in our earliest games... like we were more mercenaries than heroes, though we did wind up being the "good guys" more often than not. But still... fortune and glory were the goals (which also reminds me of Indiana Jones as a big influence).

Conan the Barbarian also huge for our group. Selfish mercenary types who happen to be up against something far worse. That was a common element early on.

Then Chronicles kind of shifted things to the bad of reluctant heroes who wind up being the only hope. Which suited us at the time.

Then after that for a few years, the moral ambiguity began to kind of make it's way back in. Not outright villainy or anything, but just less "we're going to save the world" stuff and more focused on smaller goals. Personal goals. I think that's been a key element as we've continued playing over the years.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Conan the Barbarian, He-Man and MotU, Mighty Mightor, The Smurfs
Star Wars, Krull, Clash of the Titans, Grizzly Adams, Beastmaster, Disney, The Dark Crystal, Dragonheart, Shoguns Executioner, Yellowbeard, The Corsican Brothers…

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases