D&D 5E Curse of Strahd + AL modules?

GlassJaw

Hero
I'm planning to run CoS for my group when we are done with LMoP. I don't play in the DDAL but I've checked out the CoS modules. I know they are a separate storyline from CoS but from what I've seen, there seems to be some content worth salvaging at least. I like the idea of another town way up north, Jeny Greenteeth as an NPC, and part of a forest having recently been pulled into Barovia (Quivering Forest).

I know the AL modules are meant to be short and sweet and some are better than others so some rework would be in order. Again, from what I've read, the premise and backstory of some of them shows promise.

So has anyone ran CoS and used some of the AL modules? How did it work out? Did you have hooks to get the PCs to the town (Orasnou)?

KenNYC

Explorer
I ran the AL modules but not the main book. It was a couple of years back but the highlight for me was the episode at this party in a house and people had switched identities...something like that. Jenny Greenteeth was a favorite among the players.

The hook I forget, everyone was walking in fog and wind up at some sort of barren crossroads and they are sort of forced to the town in some way, no? I wish I could be more helpful but it was a couple of years ago. What does the first module suggest?

GlassJaw

Hero
The hook I forget, everyone was walking in fog and wind up at some sort of barren crossroads and they are sort of forced to the town in some way, no? I wish I could be more helpful but it was a couple of years ago. What does the first module suggest?

For hook, I meant once the players are already in Barovia. The hook in the AL modules is basically the same: mist roll in, poof you're in Barovia. I plan to use the CoS hardcover for the introduction where Barovia is the first stop once they arrive. After that, I would need to add leads so the players learn about Orasnou and have reason to go there.

hastur_nz

First Post
I did some research, but never used them as they seemed weak and/or unrelated; as noted, Jenny was a highlight NPC.

What I would say, is that CoS is too big to use everything in one campaign; you'll find your players get sick of too many side-quests and want to get on to killing Strahd (which will probably involve a lot of time in the castle, just by itself). So if you add some bits from AL, be prepared to trim even more of the bits from the CoS book. Exactly which pieces, depends on what's likely to resonate with you and your group, as well as whether you use totally random draws or deliberately stack the deck. There's plenty of advice in an old thread here, as to which pieces are good candidates for dropping.

Remove ads