Curse of Strahd: What is Straud von Zarovich's Title? [SPOILERS ALERT]

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
As someone who hasn't read any of the previous modules or novels, but who HAS read Curse of Strahd (plug: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1366 ), my stance is that when King Barov died his kingdom was divided. Strahd eventually reunited it, but hadn't yet been coronated -- he was too busy building Barovia up as the seat of his kingdom and building up the political clout needed to establish kingship in name. Thus, Castle Ravenloft was designed as a castle for a king; a king who would never come, cursed to be a mere count forever.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6796661]MNblockhead[/MENTION]

all the van richten guides are a nice read if you/your PC are heavy into roleplaying some sort of gothic monster (Vampire/werewolf etc.) with all of its powers but also all of its tragic curse. Why did i write your PC? Well in classical ravenloft all of the afflictions can get to your Players as well. That means for a start get the red box or black box Basic set and read about power checks, that is a mean mechanic i tell you.

Adventures as such, hm several of the hyskosa hexad are quite good, but not all. The first two (levelwise so the second would be touch of death the first is night of the living death or such, i cannot remember right now) are pretty intense. The fifth, the one before roots of evil has one of the best starts (although a railroaded start it is so fantastic if you do this to unaware players) i ever read. I agree on most of the classic modules are pretty good, also for other settings, still i think the ravenloft are much better, on detailing complex personalities and motifs and surprising elements.

E.g. SPOILER AHEAD
There is one where the party members dream conflicting different stuff about some NPC which makes them believe that they need to do totally different actions which may lead to an intra Party conflict but is at least base for hilarious RP at the table.

Remove ads